Ireland (9 Viewers)

Ah sorry - got the wrong end of the stick.
Yeah, generally a poor sense of their own history.
i've probably mentioned before, but a couple of english colleagues (based in england) did comment over the years that irish people seemed to know more about british politics than the brits.

for example, one lad was over for a few days and in conversation about brexit, i commented that it was only the third time that there had been an all UK referendum. his reaction was 'what do you mean? it was only the second' - he'd forgotten (or had not known!) about the referendum on PR which the lib dems had insisted on. he told us the next time he was over that he'd asked about half a dozen colleagues back in the UK, and all but one were also mistaken in thinking that there had only ever been two all UK referendums - and the PR one was only about seven or eight years past at the time.

What do you mean, they smashed Hitler over the course of a six year period, and then some other stuff happened at other times. They're well up on it.

Those americans would all be speaking german if it wasn't for the plucky wainrights of the south costswolds!!

*actually the point you are making makes me think about how oppenheimer is culturally, for the brits and important movie.

But anywhooo before i saw your post i was thinking about how much of that is tied into duty/monarchy and those traditions. If you wanted to be a well to do historian there for a few hundred years you wouldnt be writing anything that steered too far from saying the king/queen is fucking class, and so are some politicians and generals who have daughters with HUGE tracts of land. That social structure I would say was essentially act pre and post ww2?

The English remember what they want to remember. They're not so unusual in that.

It's not that they don't know or remember what Cromwell did in Ireland, they literally don't care.
They don't care about Amritsar or Bloody Sunday or the Mau Maus or any of the countless other atrocities they committed, and would really really rather you didn't bring any of it up.

i've probably mentioned before, but a couple of english colleagues (based in england) did comment over the years that irish people seemed to know more about british politics than the brits.

for example, one lad was over for a few days and in conversation about brexit, i commented that it was only the third time that there had been an all UK referendum. his reaction was 'what do you mean? it was only the second' - he'd forgotten (or had not known!) about the referendum on PR which the lib dems had insisted on. he told us the next time he was over that he'd asked about half a dozen colleagues back in the UK, and all but one were also mistaken in thinking that there had only ever been two all UK referendums - and the PR one was only about seven or eight years past at the time.
I have no memory of this. Absolutely blank. It was a long stated aim of the Liberals but no memory of actual referendum.
Weird.
I remember being really healthy and doing loadsa walking at the time. So I probably too busy lookin' good

The English remember what they want to remember. They're not so unusual in that.

It's not that they don't know or remember what Cromwell did in Ireland, they literally don't care.
They don't care about Amritsar or Bloody Sunday or the Mau Maus or any of the countless other atrocities they committed, and would really really rather you didn't bring any of it up.

A society remembers what matches it's self image to some extent (and vice versa). With the brits you've a mixture of empire nostalgia in certain sectors, and the 'plucky brits against the world' shiz of the blitz etc.

Humans have an unbelievable ability not to notice or care about things that undermine their world view

England fans: "Two Worlds Wars, One World Cup!"
German fans reply: "No World Wars, Four World Cups!"

There's plenty of rubbish retelling of Irish history. Lots about 1916-1922 and far less about miseries that followed.
Know yer history but leave it in the past.

I have no memory of this. Absolutely blank. It was a long stated aim of the Liberals but no memory of actual referendum.
Weird.
I remember being really healthy and doing loadsa walking at the time. So I probably too busy lookin' good

The lib Dems did a terrible job explaining it and the Tories and labour were allowed to say the most appalling bullshit unquestioned, framing it as a crackpot idea that only stupid countries do.

Any English I've explained it to, I've managed to convince them of it's merit. It was a very strange time.

Scan that QR code for us and send a link.

I have said No to smart meters before, repeatedly and loudly. Didn't stop it ticking upwards. Then my housemate told me to get out of the cupboard and go to bed.

These people are Fucking melters
Was chatting to the wife there after seeing it, there’s a big element of just presenting something plausible enough to get people over the threshold of mistrust in government etc., and then they are drawn in to the whole shopping list of crazy (not saying this example is particularly plausible),

oh, i've had the spiel from a lad i know who was telling me they'll be charging more for you to use your tumble dryer. i was trying to explain to him that a smart meter does not know which device is actually in use and got a smug "why do you think they're called 'smart' so?"

oh, i've had the spiel from a lad i know who was telling me they'll be charging more for you to use your tumble dryer. i was trying to explain to him that a smart meter does not know which device is actually in use and got a smug "why do you think they're called 'smart' so?"
1707087887285.png

Great day for the "Ireland is full" crowd yesterday. I suspect things will get nasty (nastier).

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back