help.... (2 Viewers)

brianMy Remorse said:
being honest i dont think ive experienced any discrimination against girls at gigs here.
truth be told though i live a sheltered life, the rock under which i live gathers moss, so basically i dont have a clue.

just in work in college cause theres a WARPS (War gaming and role play society) convention on. dungeons and dragons..."my wizard defeats your gargoyle" crap.... please tell me no one plays this here.... im ready to eat my shoe, think i just put my foot in my mouth...

Liiadain said:
closest was someone saying "oh, you're the only girl in the band, are you the bass player, funny ha ha, joke" etc and me going "eh.. yeah..." which is kind of the complete opposite really, so never mind...

Reason to believe's not that bad though! I guess you're entitled to your opinion but I do feel like you're writing it off a bit hastily?

yeah, but its true that very few people actually think "girls are crap at music," and if they do they're idiots anyway. its just that attitude (of catharsis woman) has just reached the point of self parody. anyway, what brian said pretty much echoes my opinion.

i've read a few issues of RTB and it's full of irritating interviews with hippies in Belgian squats and unemployed people who film riots; with a healthy dose of "if this band is american and are in anyway successful, theyre shit," which annoys me more than anything...

but enough of this... time for a family guy marathon

Alan Remorse said:
it's full of irritating interviews with hippies in Belgian squats and unemployed people who film riots
Are those weighted comments?
What's wrong with being unemployed? Under capitalism someone has to be unemployed - there has a to be a constant surplus of workers.
What's wrong with saying smash the state? The state doesn't give a shit about you, and we don't need it.

xConorx said:
Are those weighted comments?
What's wrong with being unemployed? Under capitalism someone has to be unemployed - there has a to be a constant surplus of workers.
What's wrong with saying smash the state? The state doesn't give a shit about you, and we don't need it.

euy... i dont think theres anything wrong with being unemployed, i'm unemployed myself for fucks sake. I was stereotyping because im such a bigoted cunt (a joke, kids).i was just complaining about people who write in crappy zines about being revolutionary because it makes them feel like the big man.

sigh... here we go, my two cents....

we have no alternative to what we have now, because its what the majority of people vote for because they believe a pile of crap that idiotic baby kissing politicians feed them (im talking about THE REAL WORLD here, not the one presented on Refused sleeve inlays). this is my OPINION.

but you cant expect all the fianna fail heads to stop voting because you say so. the truth is, if the majority of people vote for something, you have to live with it the best you can. that is democracy.

i vote, because i care about the country and the state. i dont burn cars&run shopping trollies through the windows of Starbucks because "its revolutionary... man.."

By the way, i know there are people who actually try to make a difference and sometimes even succeed, so for fucks sake dont start with "oh so youre saying we should all lay down and be assfucked by the man"

in summary... the state is shit, obviously i recognise this, but too many people talk about being revolutionary cos its cool to do so. like the people in RTB. If you want to make a difference, vote, do fucking something besides preaching to the converted in your shitty zine.

I remind you, i am only talking about the people in zines like RTB. And it is my opinion.

by the way, the only reason i brought that up was cos liadain asked me why i dont like RTB... and i said i dont like reading about that. end of story.

Alan Remorse said:
yeah, but its true that very few people actually think "girls are crap at music," and if they do they're idiots anyway. its just that attitude (of catharsis woman) has just reached the point of self parody.
I don't think it's as simple as whether or not people think women are crap at music though. Like you said, anyone who thinks that is just an idiot and not worth worrying about. What I would worry about is the idea that women can be good at music, but that there's a certain corner of it that they should stick to (e.g. playing bass or classical instruments, doing "girly" vocals) and that the core sections of your typical hardcore band should be left to guys. This isn't an attitude that most people would express overtly, it may not even be one held in any form by the majority, but I feel it's there somewhere all the same, and this may be why Stef (catharsis) got so wound up. Possibly.

At the same time though I think it's important not to see gender issues in everything. Sometimes an offer of help with carrying an amp is just an offer of help with carrying an amp.

Liiadain said:
What I would worry about is the idea that women can be good at music, but that there's a certain corner of it that they should stick to (e.g. playing bass or classical instruments, doing "girly" vocals) and that the core sections of your typical hardcore band should be left to guys.

At the same time though I think it's important not to see gender issues in everything. Sometimes an offer of help with carrying an amp is just an offer of help with carrying an amp.

preee-cisely!!! i know a lot of people probably tend to associate girls with certain roles but the only way to change that is to lead by example, without being militant or alienating people. I mean look at the singer in The Assistant, she can growl with the best of em but i've never seen her even mention the gender issue.... if youre going to do something just fucking do it, because making a song and dance of things only attracts attention to your "differences" rather than just letting them go. People like Stef only contribute to sexism in hardcore, rather than reduce it, because they make an issue of it themselves.

arrrgh enough politics

Hmmm... I have to say I'm torn on that one. On one hand I would definitely say "just get on with it!" and don't make a song and dance of it as you put it...

On the other hand I do think that this kind of thing needs to be addressed from time to time, lest people get too complacent about the whole thing. Sometimes just getting on with what you're doing isn't enough.

Tis a tricky one alright.

One other thing as well, I don't think guys are entirely to blame for any gender-based discrimination that goes on. Women can be just as prejudiced towards other women.

Liiadain said:
One other thing as well, I don't think guys are entirely to blame for any gender-based discrimination that goes on. Women can be just as prejudiced towards other women.
Yep, people can assimilate the views of the dominant ideology often.

Alan, voting is pointless, capitalism and the state cannot be reformed and will never act in the interests of the people. I don't know anyone who thinks burning cars is revolutionary, it's not, just like glueing bank machines is not revolutionary.

xConorx said:
Alan, voting is pointless, capitalism and the state cannot be reformed and will never act in the interests of the people. I don't know anyone who thinks burning cars is revolutionary, it's not, just like glueing bank machines is not revolutionary.

grand... i'm not arguing with you if you think that, but i was just saying i think its better to do something (legal) rather than sit around moaning about the state of affairs (thats not a diss)

by the way, i talk in permanent hyberbole... hence the burning cars comment.

Alan Remorse said:
grand... i'm not arguing with you if you think that, but i was just saying i think its better to do something (legal) rather than sit around moaning about the state of affairs (thats not a diss)

by the way, i talk in permanent hyberbole... hence the burning cars comment.

jeez alan, i never knew there was so much we disagree on.

xConorx said:
Yep, people can assimilate the views of the dominant ideology often.

Alan, voting is pointless, capitalism and the state cannot be reformed and will never act in the interests of the people.

If the capatalist state cannot be reformed then in your mind it must be replaced. How do you see a new governance method working that will deal with the needs of the people of this country (or any other for that matter). This is something I've been wondering for a while, is there a proposed alternative in place that in theory if implemented would improve on the current situation as you see it

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back