Game of Thrones Season 4 - EXPECT SPOILERS (2 Viewers)

• Thread starter pete
  • Start date
  • Replies 653
  • Views 42K
  • Watchers 8
I've got a question
why, if the lannisters are into aping the targaryen practice of incest in the royal line, would tommen (or goffrey for that matter) marry a tyrell instead of their own sister?
it's not official policy, jaime and cersei are just freaks

the only thing she can convey is permanent bitchface

kit harrington often reminds me of perplexed kitteh

sad05-3158-4.jpg

A Close Look at Game of Thrones, Season Four Episode Four

Scorecard
  • Breasts, exposed: Four
  • Deaths, minor-character: 164 Meereenese masters
  • Deaths, major-character: None
  • Dicks, exposed: None
  • Dinklage accent rating: 4/10
  • Dragons: None
  • "Hodor"s: Eight
  • Magic Spells: One
  • Percentage of screen time involving Sansa Stark that is boring: 40
  • Sex scenes: None Note: One rape scene played half-heartedly for titillation
  • Sword fights: None Note: Three sparring matches
  • #ThisCouldBeUsButYouPlayin: Missandei and Grey Worm
  • #TrueDetectiveSeason2: Bronn and Jaime

#ThisCouldBeUsButYouPlayin: Missandei and Grey Worm

Brienne and Jaime, shurely? that was awkward as fuck
grey worm to get a cock transplant or something

Been doing some reading about the white walker stuff at the end. Apparently the one on the horse was credited as ‘The Ice King’ or some such on HBO Go, then it was changed. There’s a bit in the book where Nan is telling Bran a story about one of the Lord Commander’s of the Night Watch marrying a White Walker and doing unspeakable things at Castle Black before the King Beyond the Wall and the King of the North teamed up and got rid of him so it looks like he’s the ‘big bad’. I reckon that him touching the baby was him turning it into a walker, rather than a Wight which are the zombie people, interesting developments.

so the show has begun to depart significantly from the books too. craster's babby, bran's capture and noah taylor at the wall weren't in the books. this is exciting because i'm back to not knowing what's coming next. my only fear is that they're going to explain the origin of the walkers too much which GRRM doesn't do at all. we know more about the walkers from the tv show than the books but the less we know about them the scarier they are.

i guess the white walkers are a bit like global warming. everyone knows what's coming but everyone's too busy with their own little plans to do anything about it. seriously, they should just come and eat everyone

I've got a question
why, if the lannisters are into aping the targaryen practice of incest in the royal line, would tommen (or goffrey for that matter) marry a tyrell instead of their own sister?

and why did the war of the usurper start, for that matter? why would the targaryen prince have married the martell woman? why not dany when she was old enough?
Is this a genuine question? So hard to tell these days, I'll take it as such. Incest is majorly frowned up, that's why Jaime tosses Bran out the window. Royal weddings are all about alliances; the Lannisters, wealthy as they are, have mounted huge debts and need the comparable wealth of the Tyrells to stay afloat. It's all been touched upon this season already let alone previous seasons and of course a whole lot more in the books.

The Targaryen line is a major threat to the Baratheon (actually Lannister) dynasty. This is why Robert wanted Dany dead. Many still look upon the Targaryen's as the rightful bloodline. The war of the usurper started over the questionable lineage of Joeffrey to the Baratheon royal line. Stannis then saw himself as rightful successor and Renly, as a man of the people, was persuaded into thinking he could win the throne through popular support despite his dubious claim.

Does this answer your question? People forget it's medieval fantasy, and as such rooted in customs, traditions and folklore comparable to the time. The War of the Roses was the major influence for Martin prior to writing the books (along with Ivanhoe or the Robin Hood myth). The intrigue surrounding the rights of succession have always fascinated him.

i guess the white walkers are a bit like global warming. everyone knows what's coming but everyone's too busy with their own little plans to do anything about it. seriously, they should just come and eat everyone
Does that make Dany, her dragons and her army the wheels of industry?

Is this a genuine question? So hard to tell these days, I'll take it as such. Incest is majorly frowned up, that's why Jaime tosses Bran out the window. Royal weddings are all about alliances; the Lannisters, wealthy as they are, have mounted huge debts and need the comparable wealth of the Tyrells to stay afloat. It's all been touched upon this season already let alone previous seasons and of course a whole lot more in the books.

The Targaryen line is a major threat to the Baratheon (actually Lannister) dynasty. This is why Robert wanted Dany dead. Many still look upon the Targaryen's as the rightful bloodline. The war of the usurper started over the questionable lineage of Joeffrey to the Baratheon royal line. Stannis then saw himself as rightful successor and Renly, as a man of the people, was persuaded into thinking he could win the throne through popular support despite his dubious claim.

Does this answer your question? People forget it's medieval fantasy, and as such rooted in customs, traditions and folklore comparable to the time. The War of the Roses was the major influence for Martin prior to writing the books (along with Ivanhoe or the Robin Hood myth). The intrigue surrounding the rights of succession have always fascinated him.

Yes, it is a serious question but I think you've missed my question, which is probably because I didn't use the right term. I've not read the books and only got into all this in the last few months so I'm a bit unclear on some stuff.

By the 'war of the usurper', I didn't mean the war between Stannis and the Lannisters and Rob and Renly. I thought that is the war of the 5 kings. I meant the war that made Robert the King. This, AFAIK, started when the mad king's son, Raegon (?), Dany's much-older brother (?), nicked off with Ned Stark's sister, who was engaged to Robert - even though he was married to the Martell sister already. In retaliation, Robert went to war to get his fiancee back, Ned chucked in, and when it looked like they'd definitely come and win the war, the Lannisters sacked King's Landing, and Jaime killed Aegon the Mad King (because, although no one knows except Brianne, the Mad King was about to hit the self-destruct button).

OK so then Robert became king by conquest, the Mountain killed the Martell princess and her Targaryen kids on the Lannister's say-so, and Dany and her mad brother went off to exile. I think maybe Jon Snow is secretly the love-child of the Targaryen prince (Raegon?) and Ned Stark's sister because obviously there was some Star Wars-esque 'secret' Ned never got to tell Jon Snow. Whatever.

So then Cersei was married to Robert because he was the king. Otherwise the Lannisters were nowhere NEAR getting to be king. Now, I thought that the reason Jaime pushed Bran from the window was not that incest is taboo, but on the more important point that people would question Joffrey's lineage from Robert, and that he has been fucking the Queen, which would probably make both of them dead and the kids all disowned in the royal line, thus fucking the Lannisters over forever.

Now, I recall in the first series that someone said that the Targaryens practiced incest in the royal line in order to keep it in the family, and this is why every other Targaryen is crazy - ie Dany's brother. This was relevant to the discovery that Jaime and Cersei were secretly Joffrey's parents by Ned Stark, later in the first series. This is the discovery that led to Ned's death and the war of the 5 kings.

(PS I also wondered why Joffrey never asked who his real dad was seeing as there was a whole fucking war over it - I assumed he was in on the secret too but he was taunting Jaime in SE4 EP1 like he thought he was actually his uncle - dumb fucker).

So. In conclusion. I can understand why Jaime and Cersei kept their incest secret - they are not royalty unless people believe Robert the Usurper is the father of Cersei's kids.

My question is,

1. now that their kids are firmly in there as royals (barring a war from Dany), why don't they want to (at least secretly) have Tommen shagging his sister in the best Targaryen tradition?

2. And why did Raegon (?) marry the Martell woman, instead of his own sister, if the Targaryens were publicly known to practice incest?

I mean I guess your point about alliances and money does mostly answer these questions, I just think it's a bit inconsistent on the significance of the incest practices.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back