Fargo season 2 (1 Viewer)

The Book-lover

tumblr_nw6a5oIJq81qc7wkko6_1280.png

Not sure about the final episode there. Lots of nice chat, but not much drama. Or, maybe that's OK.

Wonder what becomes of Milligan

Edit: I'm actually thinking it is OK. The contemplative ending.
He dies. That office is a coffin.

(sorry, being melodramatic)

I've just finished this series and have gone through this thread, now I'm convinced I've seen a completely different show to you folk. I thought the whole thing smacked of pastiche and cliche. I mentioned in another thread that it was coming across like it was written by someone who watched too many Coen Brothers and Tarantino films and was doing their best to outdo them on the self-aware stakes. The endless nods to other films, books, art, etc. really impinged on the story, if they spent have as much time on the plot as they did working references into it then it might have worked better. The UFO thing made it really weak and the characters were hammy (Mike Milligan is intelligent and to show it, he will recite poetry and give definitions of words like the villain from a comic). I couldn't care less about the Geirhardt gang; Simone was the most interesting one, I was hoping she would develop more and take the gang for herself but no. I felt that had they about half the characters, it would have been much stronger.

What I did like was Patrick Wilson who I thought was excellent in it. Ted Danson was a pleasant surprise, I was expecting him to stick out like a sore thumb but he was great. The whole thing looked wonderful but that just highlighted how shallow the show was really. The tension never felt tense and the twists were too well signposted given that they are now following a Fargo formula.

I've just finished this series and have gone through this thread, now I'm convinced I've seen a completely different show to you folk. I thought the whole thing smacked of pastiche and cliche. I mentioned in another thread that it was coming across like it was written by someone who watched too many Coen Brothers and Tarantino films and was doing their best to outdo them on the self-aware stakes. The endless nods to other films, books, art, etc. really impinged on the story, if they spent have as much time on the plot as they did working references into it then it might have worked better. The UFO thing made it really weak and the characters were hammy (Mike Milligan is intelligent and to show it, he will recite poetry and give definitions of words like the villain from a comic). I couldn't care less about the Geirhardt gang; Simone was the most interesting one, I was hoping she would develop more and take the gang for herself but no. I felt that had they about half the characters, it would have been much stronger.

What I did like was Patrick Wilson who I thought was excellent in it. Ted Danson was a pleasant surprise, I was expecting him to stick out like a sore thumb but he was great. The whole thing looked wonderful but that just highlighted how shallow the show was really. The tension never felt tense and the twists were too well signposted given that they are now following a Fargo formula.

I don't really agree with most of this, as I loved it overall, but it's a great and interesting post all the same. It makes me think that our standards and expectations are always rising.

Two things

1. Did you watch the episodes in quick succession? I loved having to wait 7 days to watch a new episode. Binging on anything ruins it for me. Really dislike box sets/ Netflix for that reason

2. Did you like season one?

I don't really agree with most of this, as I loved it overall, but it's a great and interesting post all the same. It makes me think that our standards and expectations are always rising.

Two things

1. Did you watch the episodes in quick succession? I loved having to wait 7 days to watch a new episode. Binging on anything ruins it for me. Really dislike box sets/ Netflix for that reason

2. Did you like season one?
1. I watched an episode a day or so. I don't really do proper binge watching. To be honest, if I didn't have it all recorded I probably wouldn't have persevered.

2. It was grand but aside from Molly and Malvo, I felt like it was a lazy re-hash of the movie (which is one of my favourite films ever).

Everybody loves Fargo (except the Coens)

That’s per a recent Radio Times interview with the movie-making pair, where they express their complete disinterest in TV, the film industry’s tagalong, hundred-billion-dollar little brother. “We’re just not very interested. I mean, we’re perfectly happy with it. We have no problem with it. It just feels divorced from our film somehow,” Joel told interviewers, while, somewhere in America, a tear dripped down showrunner Noah Hawley’s earnest, bespectacled face.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back