Fairweather Sports Tourist Thread (5 Viewers)

Grab a newspaper on the train and flip it around so I read the back page first.

"The Band is on the field!"
The Play: Cali v Stanford 20-11-1982
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

It's the Stanford Band getting smashed in Stanford's John Elway's last rugby - I mean, college football game.

Women's Paris-Roubaix coverage just started on Eurosport 2.
Live feed of France's 2nd biggest race to start shortly.
Lots of cobbles, muck, rain and very windy today.
Usually it tends to be dry and dusty in last 30 years but definitely not this time. This is fourth edition of women's race.
EDIT:
Men's race (EST. 1896) tomorrow.
Yep - it only took 125 years to get a women's version of race...

Women's Paris-Roubaix coverage just started on Eurosport 2.
Live feed of France's 2nd biggest race to start shortly.
Lots of cobbles, muck, rain and very windy today.
Usually it tends to be dry and dusty in last 30 years but definitely not this time. This is fourth edition of women's race.
EDIT:
Men's race (EST. 1896) tomorrow.
Yep - it only took 125 years to get a women's version of race...
Didn't rain at all and strong wind had huge effect on the race and cobbles were dry even if their was lots of puddles.
Race was not a good as previous three years - which in fairness were exceptional.

I don't think I've ever seen a Paris Roubaix in last 30 years where it actually rained during the race, no matter how bad conditions were.

French women's cricket - haven't read that but it sounds like something that doesn't exist alright.

Ten seconds of highly enjoyable boxing last night when the Ukrainian lad Usyk hit Fury about six collosal punches and almost KOed the horrible prick at end of round 8. Rest of it was rubbish apparently. Despite Usyk clearly winning the fight easily, it was a split decision.

Brutal stage 222 km stage 15 of Giro d'Italia well underway now on Eurosport 1.
They've gone over the San Zeno a new climb to the Giro.
Over 5,000 metres climbing over the course of the day which is most in a grand tour for long years.
Next up is the the savagely steep Mortirolo, a previously obscure Alpine climb introduced to the Giro in 1990. The race today finishes above the Irish skiers destination of choice - Livigno. As far as I understand the are going ride up a ski slope that has been tarmaced (?!) over to finish in Mottolino.
Last time I watched less of a cycling 3 week grand tour than the current Giro was the 1997 Giro - which I didn't watch at all.
Pogacar was 2nd to Ganna on TT yesterday and is 3'40'' up on 2nd place Thomas having won three stages already.
I've been gradually getting less enthused by pro cycling since 2000s

Sam Bennett has won three stages of 4 Days of Dunkirk (which lasts 6 days) which finishes today. He was 2nd in a photo finish after catching a break away rider on line and 3rd on opening day and Sam leads race overall.

There was an awful pile up in the women's Tour of Burgos yesterday with nearly 30 riders going down.

Premier League finishes today and Munster Championship hurling Tipperary v Cork and Clare v Waterford.
That's enough - isnt it?

Tyson Fury was lucky to survive the 9th round last night. Another ref might have stopped the fight.
From 00:55

I don't watch much boxing, but I thought it was a great fight. After what feels like years of build up the pressure was on. Very few periods of holding on stuff. Usyk looked remarkably smaller than Tyson.

It was quality when he got his clock cleaned.

Tyson Fury was lucky to survive the 9th round last night. Another ref might have stopped the fight.
From 00:55

yeah - 0:55 seconds onwards - 9th round is what I meant. there was about 10 seconds left in round when referee gave Fury the count. Fury did extremely well not to go down there.
Fury hardly did anything in a lot of rounds -e.g barely scored a punch in first 3 rounds. Obviously modern heavy weight boxing is not my thing.

There's a part of me wanted the decision to go to Tyson because i like him - but i didn't actually watch it - that round ye's have highlighted Tyson has lost his feet for sure, but in some mad way is sorta in control of it? Doesn't look like he's winning just i think stoppages are more about people having no ability to defend themselves or are getting seriously injured.

Anywhoo fair play to Usyk for doing it.

There's a part of me wanted the decision to go to Tyson because i like him - but i didn't actually watch it - that round ye's have highlighted Tyson has lost his feet for sure, but in some mad way is sorta in control of it? Doesn't look like he's winning just i think stoppages are more about people having no ability to defend themselves or are getting seriously injured.

Anywhoo fair play to Usyk for doing it.
More happened in the end of the 9th Round than many other rounds put together. Many folks thought the fight should have been stopped at that point - if Fury had gone over it would have been.
After that Fury needed to KO Usyk to win. it is always an incredibly dangerous sport.
I was in a pub and a small crowd were watching it.
Fury is really arrogant, extremely lacking in self awareness, extremely homophobic, worked with Daniel Kinahan, said absolute nonsense about fight afterwards...
The fight was in Saudi and one judge gave it to Fury and that's were boxing is at tragically...

He's not from d4 like. You read about these people and their lives are fucking mad narrow dark places. A bit like Mike Tyson, he's on a slow road to redemption. I don't know what i'd say about a person after they succesfully punched me for an hour, it's not the time to ask.

Users who are viewing this thread

• pete
Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back