explosions (2 Viewers)

I've only heard 3 or 4 explosions songs so maybe I'm missing something but what's the difference between them and Mogwai?

mogwai often use keys,strings,brass etc to fill out their sound, and even have vocals in a few tunes.

explosions dudes are all guitars,all the time.
they have a very distinctive guitar sound, reverb at 11 with a touch of delay.
their guitar riffs are very much plucky single note stuff, very few chords of any kind.
lots of tremelo picking. lots of military style marching drum beats.
a lot of their stuff is all very samey, but mostly very good, mostly.

eluvium just relied on extreme volume, one of two good tracks, but when someone is using nearly all samples...

been said already, pretty much no samples - mostly live performance looped and layered. that's what i like about his stuff so much - it's performed with live instruments, not just rehashed off a laptop. would be good to see him in a more intimate setting alright.

i thought it was great. nothing revolutionary but plenty of goosebump moments all the same. i'm also really loving tripod at the moment.

worthit said:
I've only heard 3 or 4 explosions songs so maybe I'm missing something but what's the difference between them and Mogwai?

Actually, a key difference for me would be that Mogwai tend to take a piece of music or two and just sit on them. Tracy, 2 wrongs make 1 right, etc all pretty much have one or two ideas and Mogwai explore the 2 ideas as much as they can over the course of the song. Which is great.

Explosions tend to change what they are playing a lot more and constantly play different lines against each other.

2 great bands though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back