Coronavirus: Better Call Sol - CORONAMANIA (1 Viewer)

Sounds... reasonable?
Reasonable for people based in cities, not workable for anyone outside.
There’s a lot of kids that haven’t been allowed see their other parent or siblings because of it.
The internet is too shit here to FaceTime so my daughter hasn’t seen her dad or sisters for about 6 weeks now, and it’s getting hard.
There’s a good chance I’m going to have to risk a drive to Dublin (I’ll have a word with the local guard here to see what their stance is first, obv) to bring her there so she can stay with them for a few weeks. She’s struggling to upload schoolwork and can’t take part in online classes (only happen once of twice a week as it is) and is having serious anxiety about her leaving cert because of that stress on top of the isolation.
Appointments for teens with anxiety and mental health issues have been cancelled too, but that’s a whole other issue.

Last edited:
Maybe I've been misled, but other single parents have told me they were allowed to ferry kids between each parent regardless of distance?
It’s supposed to be the case but more of a gray area when it’s a 320km round trip.
Also she’s not a very young kid, and they haven’t said anything about age range.
She can be fragile enough at the best of times without hearing me,at a check point explain to a guard that she isnt as emotionally developed as you might expect at her age and not to judge by her birth certificate alone.
I feel like a dick even typing that.

Would it be worth having a brief explanation written down on a piece of paper and handing that to the Guard? And/or if there was an issue to get out of the car and walk out of earshot?
I honestly never even thought of that. I’ve an ingrained fear of the Gardai and avoid any possible interactions, but that’s a pretty common sense solution. Cheers !

I honestly never even thought of that. I’ve an ingrained fear of the Gardai and avoid any possible interactions, but that’s a pretty common sense solution. Cheers !

It wouldn't work in the US naturally, if you handed a cop here a piece of paper unbidden he'd scream "PAPER BOMB PAPER BOMB" and unload the entire clip of his gun into your face.

Nah. But it might be good to let the Guard know you'd like to step out of the car to explain something before you actually get out.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

There's areas of NYC where the Orthodox and Hasidic guys come close to running the show. There's areas in the boroughs that if you even travel through, or sit down within, it will be made clear that you're not welcome.
They even have their own special police force, Shomrim, NYPD seem to steer well clear of them if possible.

It's weird.

There's areas of NYC where the Orthodox and Hasidic guys come close to running the show. There's areas in the boroughs that if you even travel through, or sit down within, it will be made clear that you're not welcome.
They even have their own special police force, Shomrim, NYPD seem to steer well clear of them if possible.

It's weird.
Yeah they have Shomrim here in London. Only heard good things about them here.

It's weird.

Wasn't there a thing about 10-15 years ago when all the hipsters moved in to Williamsburg but before the rich fucks followed where there was quite a bit of conflict between the long time residents and the new arrivals over things like women wearing immodest clothing and shit?

When I was last over I was staying with friends who lived near prospect park and in the park one day an orthodox kid came up to me and asked if I was jewish, when I told him I wasn't he said ok and then walked off. My friend told me that if I'd said yes he would have offered me some sort of blessing.

Yeah they have Shomrim here in London. Only heard good things about them here.

So, in the areas where Shomrim are running patrols would people report crime to the police or Shomrim?

And do the police and Shomrim interact?

That's what seemed odd to me. The Shomrim were the force that dealt with law and order, and NYPD just did not want to be involved. I didn't understand what was happening until someone explained it to me.

Wasn't there a thing about 10-15 years ago when all the hipsters moved in to Williamsburg but before the rich fucks followed where there was quite a bit of conflict between the long time residents and the new arrivals over things like women wearing immodest clothing and shit?

When I was last over I was staying with friends who lived near prospect park and in the park one day an orthodox kid came up to me and asked if I was jewish, when I told him I wasn't he said ok and then walked off. My friend told me that if I'd said yes he would have offered me some sort of blessing.

There might have been. I was sitting in an Orthodox/Hasidic area (I didn't realise) one morning with a black woman.

There were women and children passing initially, and we were getting stared at. Then men came out and just stood staring, until we felt really uncomfortable and fucked off. It's made really clear that your presence is not appreciated. There were areas / buildings that I'd cycle past and you'd see entire groups of people stop mid conversation and watch until you were out of sight.

I was asked if I was jewish a couple of times, but that was more in the Midtown Manhattan areas. I always said no, and then regretted it. I think you do get something, or a blessing. I asked a non Orthodox jewish woman I worked with what the deal was and she delivered a rant about them that made me ensure I'd never bring the subject up again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back