Cocteau Twins (1 Viewer)

Stan Bowles said:

Yeah, mixed feelings about this. Part of me wants to be happy, since they're probably my all-time favourite band. And the one time I saw them live (on the "Heaven or Las Vegas" tour), they were awesome, so I'd consider seeing them again (although not at Oxegen or some crap festival like that).

The other part of me hates when bands reform. 90% of the time, they have nothing new to say as a group and seem to do it only because their individual solo careers have gone into the toilet (e.g. The Pixies), and the filthy lucre is the main motivating factor. Sad and depressing.

That being said, a few pull it off. Wire did it successfully, twice. Television, too (although their more recent reformation hasn't produced any recorded material yet). Even the Buzzcocks have managed a few good tracks in their current incarnation.

But you weigh these few examples up against the Who, the Sex Pistols, the Pixies, the Dead Kennedys, et cetera, and I think there's good reason to be wary. Especially so in the case of a band I adore.

Paul

photon said:
The other part of me hates when bands reform. 90% of the time, they have nothing new to say as a group and seem to do it only because their individual solo careers have gone into the toilet (e.g. The Pixies), and the filthy lucre is the main motivating factor. Sad and depressing.

Paul

Agree in the main. I found the Pixies gig I was at last year to be deeply, deeply underwhelming. House of Love on Friday was similarly underwhelming, PLUS no Destroy the Heart. Lets hope the Wedding Present come up trumps...
However, Dexy's was one of the best gigs I have ever been to in a life filled with gig-going, so there is some hope.

I hope they don't play the big mucky field either.

How much would you be prepared to pay to see them and where...?

50 yo-yos in vicar street or the ambassador?

It was a real shame about the Pixies last year - I'd have paid 75 euro to see them in 1000 seater venue - but not a cent in a big mucky field with 100,000 or 200,000...

Honestly, I don't know what posesses good bands to play festivals... It's like they are doing it for the paycheck and not the fans... I missed the Cure last year because of them playing a festival... It would be amazing to see the Cock toe twinz, but there is no way in heck am I standing in a big awl muckey faild with a bunch of screaming kids in Nirvana hoodies screaming Slipknot songs during their set... Man

carddevil said:
How much would you be prepared to pay to see them and where...?

50 yo-yos in vicar street or the ambassador?

Herein lies another problem with well-known bands reforming: chances are good that they wouldn't come cheap, and therefore only the largest promoters could afford them. Meaning, in Dublin, MCD or Aiken.

I don't do MCD gigs anymore. I have quite a few professional and personal problems with the way they do business, so I refuse to give them my money, no matter who's playing.

But even if Aiken did it, it would be pretty dear (as all Vicar Street gigs are), and I'm not sure I'd be willing to pay even 35 euro. And I'd bet they'd charge at least that.

Paul

photon said:
Herein lies another problem with well-known bands reforming: chances are good that they wouldn't come cheap, and therefore only the largest promoters could afford them. Meaning, in Dublin, MCD or Aiken.

I don't do MCD gigs anymore. I have quite a few professional and personal problems with the way they do business, so I refuse to give them my money, no matter who's playing.

But even if Aiken did it, it would be pretty dear (as all Vicar Street gigs are), and I'm not sure I'd be willing to pay even 35 euro. And I'd bet they'd charge at least that.

Paul
it's a good thing mcd don't put on any good bands.

carddevil said:
It was a real shame about the Pixies last year - I'd have paid 75 euro to see them in 1000 seater venue - but not a cent in a big mucky field with 100,000 or 200,000...

We saw them in the Brixton Academy. Still wasn't worth it. Most underwheming reformation ever, they shouldn't have bothered.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back