Champions League 2013-14 (2 Viewers)

I think they were quite happy to control a slow tempo first half. They didn't want to go right at City and get involved in a frantic end to end game that would have suited City's counter attacking plan better. I don't remember all that many chances for City in the first half. That Negredo effort from a tight angle was their best I think.

But, yeah. The game was hardly exciting as a result.

Negrado should have done better with 2 or 3 headed opportunities and Mascherano did incredibly well to out muscle him on the edge of the box during the first half.

There has to be a point were someone looks at this constant Barcacentric lauding of their "patience" and "control" is fianlly looked at for what it is i.e boring. Milan in the 90s or Italy since time began always had "patience" and "control" but no one had the slightest problem calling them out for being negative and boring. This Barca side is capable or at least was capable of amazing things but now the lustre has faded and I'm just sick of the platitudes.

They were marginally better than 10 man city over the 90 minutes and while it was XI vs XI I thought City would win 1-0.

I guess we disagree. I thought there was a world of difference between the teams last night. City struggled to string together a sequence of passes. They had to work so hard just to keep the ball, nevermind doing something with it.

And I don't buy it that Barca were solely responsible for the dull game last night. Sitting back with 2 banks of 4 and trying to hit on the counter is hardly an exciting approach either.

I agree they're not on the level they were at a few years ago. But they are still better than anything the Premier League has to offer.

I guess we disagree. I thought there was a world of difference between the teams last night. City struggled to string together a sequence of passes. They had to work so hard just to keep the ball, nevermind doing something with it.

And I don't buy it that Barca were solely responsible for the dull game last night. Sitting back with 2 banks of 4 and trying to hit on the counter is hardly an exciting approach either.

I agree they're not on the level they were at a few years ago. But they are still better than anything the Premier League has to offer.
Chelski would have beaten them comfortably last night.

Unfortunately.

And no I do not say that lightly or with the slightest joy.

Fair enough :) I don't think they would. I think the game would have played out in the same manner. But we're just hypothesising now.

Time to get the beer in and get settled for the game tonight :)

You have to be fucking kidding me. Best game of the season ruined yet again.

Edit: seriously can we petition Uefa for some sort of deal where you get a "penalty goal" and a booking for the keeper to keep it at XI vs XI instead of the current system which is just ruining matches ?

What is Schezny supposed to do in that situation ? it's a 50/50 anywhere else on the pitch it wouldn't even have been a booking.

Ah fuck it hope Arsenal get something out of this so that the return is up to the same standard.

Great to watch two sides trying to win by attacking. Bayern have fucked themselves by making the Bundesliga less competitive. They looked shell shocked for the first 20 minutes.

Last edited:
What is wrong with Pep and the likes ? With Mandzukic on Arsenal always have to look over their shoulders, he leads the line plays right up front which creates space. Muller is on now, and he's wandering further back making it comfortable for Arsenal.

Edit : Ah he's learned, Even though there's fuck all space in there, Pizzarro will manage to get caught offside.

Edit : great forward play by Pizzarro pulling Mertasacker out of the space there for the goal. That's the big difference between Barca last night and Bayern tonight.

Last edited:
Massive shame for Arsenal, they played really well. A different side with Flamini in it. If they get Arteta or Ramsay back I'd say they're still in this though. More so than City. Sonogo is some work horse. Giroud wouldn't have put that shift in. Ozil has to spend some time on the bench. Sorry to say it, but he looks a shadow of the player Arsenal signed.

What is wrong with Pep and the likes ? With Mandzukic on Arsenal always have to look over their shoulders, he leads the line plays right up front which creates space. Muller is on now, and he's wandering further back making it comfortable for Arsenal.

Edit : Ah he's learned, Even though there's fuck all space in there, Pizzarro will manage to get caught offside.

Edit : great forward play by Pizzarro pulling Mertasacker out of the space there for the goal. That's the big difference between Barca last night and Bayern tonight.

ha this is hilarious with the edits. apologise!
Muller is my favourite Bayern player by far, he's amazing.
I cycled alongside the Bayern bus this afternoon near regents park. I admit, I was giddy.

ha this is hilarious with the edits. apologise!
Muller is my favourite Bayern player by far, he's amazing.
I cycled alongside the Bayern bus this afternoon near regents park. I admit, I was giddy.

Oh yeah, I meant the caught offside part as a compliment, like Pipo Inzaghi when he was at his best, he was offside 10 times a match and them scored the winner at the 11th attempt. I can see how ridiculous it is though. I keep forgetting that Pep actually played strikers when he was at Barca.

I'm a big fan of Muller, I think Bayern miss him and Schwienstiger when they don't play, no matter who plays instead, they still miss them.

Jesus when you look at the players to come in to that side it's pretty frightening. Ribery as well. Fuck!

I hope Zlatan wins it this year. Zlatan!

I'd say the premier league is licking its wounds and thinking "if we have to play that way to win this trophy, FUCK THAT!" Blood and thunder! I was looking forward to those games, but fuck me, they were boring.

I don't know why players don't just take the goal, rather than making stupid lunges like Demicks or rushing right into a player like Chesney. These rules aren't new.

I hope Zlatan wins it this year. Zlatan!

I'd say the premier league is licking its wounds and thinking "if we have to play that way to win this trophy, FUCK THAT!" Blood and thunder! I was looking forward to those games, but fuck me, they were boring.

I don't know why players don't just take the goal, rather than making stupid lunges like Demicks or rushing right into a player like Chesney. These rules aren't new.
When you're beaten like that you're better off making a bee line for the goal line. If your keeper stays on his feet you've got a fighting chance.

The Goalkeeper sending off rule on the other hand, has to change. I still can't see what Schezny is supposed to do in that situation.

PSG look really good. Veratti looks a real find and they've so many good players up front. They haven't really payed anyone big yet though. Barca and Bayern have and looked okay, Real haven't really, Dortmund are on a poor run domestically but they've muddled through against some good sides. Athletico look like they've run out of steam a little bit. United are fairly awful Chelski look solid It's an odd one this year. It would be a big problem for France if PSG win everything. Same problem Bayern are for the Bundesliga really.

The sending off thing is a conundrum. Scez you may feel hard done by. He's standing up, but he has taken robben out of the game, and he didn't need to. Robben had to take that ball out of the sky, control, hit the cunt, and score. If Scez waits, worst case scenario is a goal.

John Giles said last night that the ref should wait til after the kick before brandishng the red. I dunno about that, but they did miss it, so even by that logic, Scez would have walked.

As for Demick, he knew when he went to tackle he wasn't getting the ball. He knew he was going off. He was hoping it would be out of the box. Looked on the line to me, but again, no fucking need. Got his comeuppance. Lesson, don't tackle Messi when he has the ball. Kick his fucking ankles when he's standing around.

The sending off thing is a conundrum. Scez you may feel hard done by. He's standing up, but he has taken robben out of the game, and he didn't need to. Robben had to take that ball out of the sky, control, hit the cunt, and score. If Scez waits, worst case scenario is a goal.

John Giles said last night that the ref should wait til after the kick before brandishng the red. I dunno about that, but they did miss it, so even by that logic, Scez would have walked.

As for Demick, he knew when he went to tackle he wasn't getting the ball. He knew he was going off. He was hoping it would be out of the box. Looked on the line to me, but again, no fucking need. Got his comeuppance. Lesson, don't tackle Messi when he has the ball. Kick his fucking ankles when he's standing around.
Demick is completely different. But I don't know I think Schezers is comlicated, he has to come for it anywhere else on the pitch it'd barely be a booking I mean it's a 50/50 he has to go for. It's not just that one incident though.

Howard got sent off for a similar if not worse one against Sunderland at christmas. Li tapped it around him but then left his leg dangling knowing he'd get the peno and the red. Very clever but ultimately a game killer.

I'd be in favour a yellow card for the GK and a goal instead of a penalty. There obviously has to be some reward for the attacking team and basically we're all saying the same thing, you'd rather be a goal down an have XI players on the pitch, at least then there's still a game on.

Demick on the other hand can fuck off.

Level the playing field for the keepers I'd say.

Anyway it's another moot point, no way FIFA will do anything for the good of the game, it's not in their nature. They'll probably increase bans for keepers instead.

It's a split second decision for the player though. Not like he has much time to weigh up the options. And the instinct is to try to rescue the situation. Both almost got to the ball first. And if they had they would have been heroes. For about 5 minutes until everyone would have forgotten the incident and moved onto something else.

I know Robben has a reputation, a fallen Robben if you will, but that clatter to the knee looked painful as well. Arse were ripped in twain there, Scez panicked, and they got fucked. But, let's not forget, they went in at half time at nil all. Wenger made mistakes. Took off Santi when it SHOULD have been Ozil, but even if he was afeared to take off Ozil, it was a chance to rectify the Sanogo situation. Santi would have put in a shift covering Monreal, which is where all the Bayern attacks were coming from. Wenger can moan all he wants, but he fucked it up. Scez can debate the pros and cons of the laws all he wants, but he knew them before he rushed out and took an airborne player out of the match.

Consider this, if the ref HADN'T given a red card, we'd all be in here being apoplectic.

Does anyone else get the impression watching Jack Wilshere that he's played himself on FIFA and thinks he's actually the best player in the world?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back