Bloody Chuggers (1 Viewer)

KokaneeCowgirl

A couple of hours ago as I was heading into Tesco a chugger holds his hand out to me and says 'Hi my name is James, what's your name?' and wants to shake my hand. I smile and say hello and try to keep walking but he grabs my hand. I shake my head and mumble 'Sorry I have to run' and he says 'but we haven't been introduced yet! Tell me your name'. At this stage I am stunned and yank my hand back and just run into Tesco. Then I feel ashamed and feel like an asshole. I believe this was his goal. Now, I honestly was in a rush. I don't like being approached by strangers, especially when I am on my own, and especially when they introduce themselves into my personal space and force themselves on me. So I was pretty uncomfortable with his tactics.

Was I in the wrong here??

I should ring the charity he was working for and complain.
Definitely. One tried to stop me the other day and i told him i already give money to the society for the prevention of chuggers. Stopped him in his tracks long enough for me to get away.

EDIT: Here, if you feel guilty, look at it this way: He forcefully grabbed your hand and attempted to stop you from where you were going. Think of if you went up to a random girl on the street and grabbed her hand. You'd be fucked.

Definitely. One tried to stop me the other day and i told him i already give money to the society for the prevention of chuggers. Stopped him in his tracks long enough for me to get away.

EDIT: Here, if you feel guilty, look at it this way: He forcefully grabbed your hand and attempted to stop you from where you were going. Think of if you went up to a random girl on the street and grabbed her hand. You'd be fucked.

Well as a woman I just wouldn't. Any man approaching me and wanting to shake my hand and take my name (outside of normal work/social situations) garners nothing more than suspicion from me and makes me want to run for cover.

Well as a woman I just wouldn't. Any man approaching me and wanting to shake my hand and take my name (outside of normal work/social situations) garners nothing more than suspicion from me and makes me want to run for cover.
I'd assumed you were a dude based on the fact that you didn't take that much notice of the fact that this dude approaching you grabbed your hand. Most of the women i know would scream the house down if that happened to them. Ring whatever charity it was, might discourage chuggers from going down this route in future.

I'd assumed you were a dude based on the fact that you didn't take that much notice of the fact that this dude approaching you grabbed your hand. Most of the women i know would scream the house down if that happened to them. Ring whatever charity it was, might discourage chuggers from going down this route in future.

Yeah it bothered me but I was so stunned I couldn't think fast enough.

more recently, if i see one within 50 feet of me i get my camera out and start photographing them as soon as they make eye contact, scientologist style. it really scares them.

i work on a street that is very small, like 10 shops long small.the other week oxfam had 4 chuggers in a row on that street with papa chugger warning baby chuggers "do not let them pass you" This was directly outside a charity shop( different charity). I went to confront the papa about why they never NEVER chug people outside oxfam shops.

my sister who works 10 hours a week part-time, pays for her own car and college costs signed up a monthy direct debit. but she found that missing that 15 euro was too much so she cancelled it. they have now taken to ringing her on her mobile . a friend of mine was called up asking to increase his direct debit. he couldnt get rid of the fecker so gave in.

i think they should be considered as litter and all collected up with a long stick with a very sharp point on the end and dumped into recycle bags.then transported to a huge factory where they are pulped into toilet roll.

It is getting a bit mental in Ireland alright.
Last time I was home I was fucking ambushed left and right in Cork particularly.

It is loose/loose when you are a girl though. It must be a lot harder to deal. If bloke chuggers come up to me, I can give them the special bloke disgusted-seriously-fuck-off-now look.
If its a girl I can say creepy stalkery things to them after being nice to them for the first few minutes.

Word.

Outside Stephens Green Shopping Centre is a nightmare. At first, when they used to get in my face, I'd mumble apologetically that I wasn't interested and sidestep them whilst they continued to walk alongside me still nattering in my ear. Then I upgraded to a firm "not interested" and blank stare, but still got the yelling after me. Now I just carry on my way as if they didn't exist, I'll walk straight through them if they try to get in my path. Seems to work. They WRECK my head.

They are seriously bad representation for these charities. I won't mention which charity he was from, but if they pay feckers like him, I won't be giving them my money, and to be honest, I will tell them as much on Monday when I complain.

As for harrassing people by phone - that's awful! I know charities need the money but surely they're better off not pissing their patrons off? Though maybe not since yer man gave in eventually...

Also they seem, as a species, to be generally very hairy. What is with that???

Wicklow St is like playing Chugger Frogger (Chogger?). I make it really clear I'm giving them a wide berth, and frequently pretend I'm on the phone, gabbing away while I'm giving them really dirty looks. I try to be really firm with them.

But LavajoNation, you have the same option I do, which is the ability to argue believably that you don't have an Irish or UK bank account. Regardless, though, that guy outside Tesco was way out of line. I know this is splitting hairs, but I'm pretty sure that grabbing any part of someone's body -- possibly especially in order to get them to hand over their bank details -- is considered minor/simple assault under the law. I don't understand why they think that it's okay to intimidate people, or that, even if it works some of the time, that means it's a successful tactic. For one, when someone jumps out in front of you, your nervous system sometimes goes into 'fight or flight' mode. That's no good.

They do very little for their public image that way. I'd be very unlikely to want to give money to a charity who don't care about the people around them. In other words, they consider that getting money for poor people gives them licence to commit simple assault on their donors.

Wicklow St is like playing Chugger Frogger (Chogger?).

LOL.

But LavajoNation, you have the same option I do, which is the ability to argue believably that you don't have an Irish or UK bank account.

Great idea unfortunately my irish accent is so strong now that it's not convincing. And anyway I'd rather not engage them in conversation...Spitting on them isn't conversation, is it???

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back