Older Dublin Venues (3 Viewers)

Do you mean The Temple on Temple street. I'm pretty sure I went to either a gig or a club night there which was class. But getting home was the worst thing I've ever had to endure. Got totally lost ended up god knows where. It was like a Roddy Doyle version of After Hours.
The Temple of Sound. Where all the E-heads went after the asylum closed down. Noted for shining 2 massive strobe lights into the sky outside the front door, which could pretty much be seen all over Dublin.

Wasn't there some place around Camden St called the Olympic Ballroom?

My parents met at a dance there

olympic_orchestra.jpg

The music room was another good one. Above the Firestone on Marlborough st. Smiley Bolger had a hand in that as well.

Female Hercules played there. I could hear the gig loud and clear from my bus stop outside the Lotto building across the way 'cause they kept their windows open. And I knew it was them 'cause I'd seen them supporting the New Bomb Turks at Whelan's a while before. I wasn't complaining.

Mates of mine in our college society put on a gig at the Isaac Butt with 46 Long and some others; that was neat. Crap venue though, basically a wine cellar so long and narrow. No worse than the Thomas House, though.

Another 46 Long memory: they did the launch gig for their 10" on Catchy Go-Go at that church on Merchant's Quay. The place was set up for a kids' panto; the curtain raised and they launched right into it. What showmanship!

November 26

Drop Dead, John Holmes

Clodaghs

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

good times

John Holmes are classsssss

Last edited:
The Underground, Dame street... ( where the left door into Club Lapello now is... )... Small place, weird stage... saw Jam Jar Jail in there several times and a few mates bands...

The Anna Livia in Temple Bar ( when temple bar was dirty and cultural )... now Oliver St John Gogarty's... an interesting spot... Toilets always seemed to be kicked in... Best night I had in there was probably Pet Lamb and Sultans Of Ping ( just before their first EP )...

The Roxy, Little Green Street... ( bridged the gap between Barnstormers and Mulligans on Hill Street for punk gigs ( 1992?? ) ...Female Mud wrestling friday, Punk gigs Saturday... Classy!!!... Now Noor Madina ( asian food warehouse/wholesalers )...

Earl Grattan... Became Nealon's on Capel street... fine spot for small bands... Organised a gig celebrating the death of Ian Stuart Donaldson in there in 1993 - Dr Shitface, Pincher Martin, Onionbreath, Stigmatamartyr... that was a soap opera!!

The Furnace, Round the side of the Virgin Megastore ... Big place... Memorable gigs by Nomeansno ('94) and ( in particular ) Chumbawamba ('95) who were at their peak as a live band...

...also once upon a time it was possible to see regular quality gigs in the JCR & The Buttery in Trinity and occasionally in some of the other colleges ( usually round freshers/rag week etc ) depending on how clued in the Ents officer was... Dance music kind of killed all of this off...
At one point it seemed like The Buttery had stuff on every Friday round 1990... Cowboy Killers, Senseless Things, 7 Kevins, Whipping Boy, Therapy etc...

Winner for the Ian Stuart gig, haha!

Yeah this piano tuner lad was telling me about some of those Trinity gigs before, used to be into punk gigs and all himself, John Redmond I think his name is, knows Niallmc and everything

John Holmes are classsssss

The Temple of Sound. Where all the E-heads went after the asylum closed down. Noted for shining 2 massive strobe lights into the sky outside the front door, which could pretty much be seen all over Dublin.

No across the road in the basement of The Temple/Kavanaghs.

Female Hercules played there. I could hear the gig loud and clear from my bus stop outside the Lotto building across the way 'cause they kept their windows open. And I knew it was them 'cause I'd seen them supporting the New Bomb Turks at Whelan's a while before. I wasn't complaining.

That Music Room gig with the Hercs was a Large Mound show ...... if memory serves me rightly.

The Olympic Ballroom was a grand spot. Had an epic night at The Pogues there at a UCD Freshers ball thing. I was "seeing" this girl who believed she was possessed by evil spirits. After walking in the door she proceeded to get off with one of my mates and then vomited everywhere. Pogues were brilliant though. Good times.

The Village, there beside Whelan's, is that what it's called these days? That used to be called Mono, before that it was The Mean Fiddler I think. It was nicest as The Mean Fiddler I thought, saw some local act where the singer kept rubbing his baldy head supporting The Fall there, thought they were class. Sub Assembly maybe?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back