Sexism, god help us (7 Viewers)

I was going to use Arsenal as my example but I thought some of the geeks on here wouldn't have heard of them.

We do have a women's team, but strictly speaking they're not part of Arsenal FC, they're a separate club who are affiliated to Arsenal. I'm open to correction but I believe that in Women's Super League top division only the Manchester City and Everton teams are officially part of the same club as the men's team. The likes of Chelsea, Liverpool and Notts County are similarly affiliated rather than part of.

I imagine that it's far more common for men's and women's teams to be part of the same organisation in Europe where many of the top football clubs are either general multi sporting clubs where most of the attention is given to the mens senior football team or something like PSV or Bayer Leverkusen which are historically/technically works teams.

I'm gonna start a thread in Food where I have no idea what a hamburger is and why people keep talking about these 'hamburgers'

What could they possibly mean?

The world is so confusing.
don't forget to get exasperated with anyone who tries to explain what a hamburger is because you were hoping the question could be resolved without devolving into a discussion of minced beef

/father leaves room and logs onto the internet to shout down women trying to explain and share experiences of how real world sexism is harmful/
I'm not getting into any of that because I don't care.

All I'm saying is that you don't need to politicise gender in order to have a positive effect on gender politics.

Which is why I've been trying to talk about women's SPORT rather than WOMEN'S sport.

And while I'm at it if you want to have a real affect on women in sport go watch a game, go start a sports club, manage a team, teach a little girl a sport and instil a love for sport in her because in the end that's what changes attitudes and all the talking in the world won't change socio-political or personal history and ultimately that's what we're talking about.

As much as ideals count it's actions that really count so if this is really genuinely something you care about then move forward and do something about it. No one, absolutely no one will stop you as much as we're not living in an equal society you still have the right to start a club.

I'll even come and support your club.

Unless it's rugby. Which is the sporting equivalent of Animal Collective.

Also... women, don't forget your tan

Niamh Horan on women in rugby: 'I never play a game without my tan' - Independent.ie

thumbs_up_smiley.gif

(classic Niamh Horan to be fair)

I'm not getting into any of that because I don't care.
right
not because you're wilfully missing the point as always

Which is why I've been trying to talk about women's SPORT rather than WOMEN'S sport.
this is a thread about sexism. i don't give a fuck about sport. i give a fuck about both genders getting equal support to do what they want to, that could be painting warhammer figures or making sand sculptures or playing the kazoo on a unicycle, i'm not about to go out and start coaching those fucking things just to gain your permission to speak about sexism.

and surely the sports forum is the place to post about your newfound enthusiasm for women's sport?

right

this is a thread about sexism. i don't give a fuck about sport. i give a fuck about both genders getting equal support to do what they want to, that could be painting warhammer figures or making sand sculptures or playing the kazoo on a unicycle, i'm not about to go out and start coaching those fucking things just to gain your permission to speak about sexism.

and surely the sports forum is the place to post about your newfound enthusiasm for women's sport?

This shouldn't need to be said. But it does.

As an aside, and for the day that's in it, my friend's Mom came first in the Leaving Cert in Ireland way back when. All As.
She was called to the head's office (a nun), she was congratulated and then asked if she wanted to be a nurse or a teacher.
Fine professions, but surely our daughters and nieces deserve a wider scope?
She was a wonderful woman - I could speak to her for hours as a teenager, hungry for knowledge - but she had expectations hold her back.

We shouldn't even be talking about this. Let girls do what they want to do.

Does anyone know this @egg_ person?

Is he generally this wilfully thick?

What's feminism? What's gender? I have no idea.

For someone that is sent into a dark haze of confusion when feminism is mentioned, he has a fairly ready bunch of counter arguments.

Yes, I do know him and he's sound. Even though I don't agree with his views on this stuff he is genuinely engaging in a dialogue about all this and is genuinely interested in what people think ... so, I think youse are being a bit hard on him.

Great thread by the way ... seriously.

I slept with your wife
I didnt really.

I just wanted to see if I could delay him so close to his holidays

Which obviously I couldnt.And proper order.

Enjoy France Egg!Bring us back a frog!

Man United are one club that probably should have a ladies team. Their fans are so fanatical I'm sure a ladies team would be better supported than some 2nd or 3rd division teams.
A ladies team called Man?United ...

I think ..Ladies United would be better

right

Wait was the article that started this not about women's sport ? was that not a thing did I miss something ?

And I'm not supportive of women ? I seem to be the only person here who actually watches women's sport to fucking begin with.

Willfully missing the point ? Why because I don't agree with you I'm missing the point ? Really ? Is that really your argument ?

And who the fuck gave you the right to cast aspersions on anyone's ability to raise their fucking kids based on your fucking gender ?

Yeah willfully missing the point. Fuck that

And who the fuck gave you the right to cast aspersions on anyone's ability to raise their fucking kids based on your fucking gender ?
i cast aspersions on snakybus's argument that raising female children somehow furthers the cause of feminism. it was utterly bizarre and inappropriate to bring egg's kids into the argument in the first place.

i cast aspersions on snakybus's argument that raising female children somehow furthers the cause of feminism. it was utterly bizarre and inappropriate to bring egg's kids into the argument in the first place.
Right

given egg's complete lack of insight on gender issues i have no idea how
he could be facilitating them with balanced social values

So I'm wrong am I ?

Tell me again how I'm wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back