Sexism, god help us (10 Viewers)

Categorically denying? I'm categorically denying @7 - No tomorrow 's thesis because moral arguments plainly aren't working outside the western world. As for you:

egg_ said:
How can you be so sure?

... hardly constitutes a categorical denial. I think there are lots of equally plausible explanations for how social change has come about. If I understand you right you think only one of them is plausible, but if you've told me why then I've missed it

Categorically denying? I'm categorically denying @7 - No tomorrow 's thesis because moral arguments plainly aren't working outside the western world.

So they are proven to work, just not everywhere?
Because theocracies and dictatorships still exist?
You know where probably has sucky gender rights? North Korea.
So let's give up on everything.

no - because they don't work everywhere then they most likely only seem to work, and something else is happening that you're not seeing
I understand theocracies and dictatorships.

And I know why civil rights don't work there.

Your answer 'Because Iran!' is not what we're talking about.
We're talking about societies where ideas have currency.

Ah jaysis, can I not say anything without it being reduced to "Because X!"

So there are 2 kinds of society - one where ideas have currency and one where they don't. We live in the first kind, so clearly demonstrating that women are being treated unfairly is going to result in women being treated more fairly?

Categorically denying? I'm categorically denying @7 - No tomorrow 's thesis because moral arguments plainly aren't working outside the western world. As for you:

... hardly constitutes a categorical denial. I think there are lots of equally plausible explanations for how social change has come about. If I understand you right you think only one of them is plausible, but if you've told me why then I've missed it

ahem

I don't see that girls as a group are generally excluded from sports by their immediate social environments.
So are girls are less likely to be interested in sports because of biological or social factors? It doesn't matter. The end result is the same, and there's very little anyone can do about it

I can't see any relationship between my actions (or anyone's actions, with a few exceptions) and outcomes.

Ah ok

So which bit of that do you have a problem with, and why?

Actually, don't bother replying - I've 5 minutes left of work, then I'm on holidays for 2 weeks and probably won't be checking in on you pricks from a tent in France

/me waves

Thank you all for your time

I'm just using the commonly used terms, don't blame me. Men's football teams don't usually have a signifier. Women's do. The only exception I can think of is USMNT & USWNT, and that's presumably due to the strength of women's football in the States.

Would you consider using the signifier in circumstances like this and maybe in the process contribute to changing this idea that men's teams are the normal and women's are the other? The don't blame me thing doesn't really work in my head as its reminds me of someone using racial or sexist slurs and saying don't blame me as they're commonly used terms. Bit of a cop out no?

For what it's worth -- and I'm not sure if it has been said -- I'd say Egg and Egglady are doing far more for women's sports and women's stuff in general by raising two girls, encouraging them to do sports (possibly a wild assumption on my part), facilitating them with balanced political and social values (I can only assume, though possibly he's indoctrinating them with pinkoism, being the dogged lefty that he is), and providing them with a loving home and education, than any amount of shiteing on on the internet would do. Facebook activism really is the pits.

How come you didn't say Man United men's team instead of just Man United?

I'm just using the commonly used terms, don't blame me. Men's football teams don't usually have a signifier. Women's do. The only exception I can think of is USMNT & USWNT, and that's presumably due to the strength of women's football in the States.

Man United's women's team doesn't exist anyway.

Would you consider using the signifier in circumstances like this and maybe in the process contribute to changing this idea that men's teams are the normal and women's are the other? The don't blame me thing doesn't really work in my head as its reminds me of someone using racial or sexist slurs and saying don't blame me as they're commonly used terms. Bit of a cop out no?

I'm happy enough to go along with it in this case. I don't really see it as a huge problem. The women's team of any major European football club is a minor operation at the moment. It'd be interesting too see that change over the coming years. For now, women's teams are the other teams in this context, same as underage teams, reserve teams and so on. I'm conscious of sounding petty here, but it's be an affectation to specify men's teams.

I also think that actions by individuals and groups can change things, to chip in elsewhere.

I'm happy enough to go along with it in this case. I don't really see it as a huge problem. The women's team of any major European football club is a minor operation at the moment. It'd be interesting too see that change over the coming years. For now, women's teams are the other teams in this context, same as underage teams, reserve teams and so on. I'm conscious of sounding petty here, but it's be an affectation to specify men's teams.

I also think that actions by individuals and groups can change things, to chip in elsewhere.

ok

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back