Staying off the drink (3 Viewers)

you can still go out and have a laugh, you'll just leave when things get to the full retard stage instead of grimly hanging on with the rest of the dipsos

you can still go out and have a laugh, you'll just leave when things get to the full retard stage instead of grimly hanging on with the rest of the dipsos
My experience of not drinking was that the invites dry up because people are afraid of being "spied" on while drunk. People genuinely find sober people threatening rather than reassuring.

I had a dry spell about 10 years ago, and I remember it being a pain going out. Most conversations consisted of "Would you not have a pint? Just one? Are you mad?" all night.

Nowadays, everyone is too scabby to ask 8(

Get used to that. Either join a sports team or club of some sort or prepare to be alone a lot until summer. Then you can be the designated driver once in a while and go to an occasional barbecue.

I enjoy being left alone at weekends for the most part. I am the type to complain about having to go somewhere.
If people had been calling me for this weekend, I'd have been annoyed. Then they don't call and I'm all "What the fuck?"

I had a dry spell about 10 years ago, and I remember it being a pain going out. Most conversations consisted of "Would you not have a pint? Just one? Are you mad?" all night.

Nowadays, everyone is too scabby to ask 8(

Yeah, people always expect you to have a reason why you're not drinking.
People that are drinking don't need to have one.

Erm, sounds just the same.
Exactly.
Like the skit.
You can try every silly approach and it will always be the same.
No one gets my jokes. :/

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Yeah, people always expect you to have a reason why you're not drinking.
People that are drinking don't need to have one.
Contrary to popular belief I think If you need a reason to drink you have a problem.

This usually ends in conversations like this;

"Why are you drinking so much ?"

"Because I enjoy it"

"Yeah but why?"

"Because I want to get drunk, I like being drunk."

"Yeah but why ?"

"Fuck you, why are you drinking ?"

"To relax"

"Well that's a shit reason, when I want to relax I'll read a book, or I'll take a walk and listen to some tunes or I'll sit in the park for a while enjoying the sound of some trees rustling while sipping a coke. When I want to get drunk I'll drink alcohol and that way I don't confuse the two and can relax without drinking. In fact I don't even find drinking all that relaxing. I typically drink while out on the town in a major city which is never truly relaxing to begin with. I know I drink "to excess" but I like it. I don't need it as much as I want it. Which is actually a part of the buddhist definition of true love. To want something more than you need it. So I love drinking. You on the other hand "need" or use alcohol for a purpose which isn't love, it's more like utilitarianism or at worst obsession even addiction. So when you think about it really I think you're the one with the problem."

"Relax, will you for fuck sake"

"If I wanted to relax I'd be at home with a good book, I want to get drunk and ride my high horse onto the dance floor god damn it"

"Jesus christ"

"I know right, you need help."

i don't tell people i'm not drinking unless they bring it up and it rarely gets noticed

People would notice if I wasn't drinking. Instead of enthusiastic shite talk I'd be sitting smiling awkwardly at people and not talking, counting the minutes until I can leave without causing offence.

EDIT (there was something good here but it got deleted so nevermind)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back