shell sink fishing boat with crew on board. (4 Viewers)

people are giving out to me here for not "reading" more into it and that i clearly know fuck all about the corrib gas business, well thats just what i've been doing lads, i heard the story about the boat on indymedia and read a bit more about it, s2s and o' donnell and chose not to accept the story as is and wait for more information, whereas you guys dont seem to question anything, maybe you guys should keep a bit more of an open mind?

people are giving out to me here for not "reading" more into it and that i clearly know fuck all about the corrib gas business, well thats just what i've been doing lads, i heard the story about the boat on indymedia and read a bit more about it, s2s and o' donnell and chose not to accept the story as is and wait for more information, whereas you guys dont seem to question anything, maybe you guys should keep a bit more of an open mind?

i think its a question of people deciding at different points where their open mind and critical distance ends, based on their own allegiences and personalities etc.

Some people will accept what they hear from a protest/left-wing angle verbatim, and never question beyond that, never accept some grey areas;

in your case you looked beyond the initial info on indymedia (often a flawed info medium), and I aggree that approach (no version of events, even coming from a party you might sympathise with, should be above some level of healthy skepticism or probing - even if only to play 'devils advocate')
...so you looked... looked all the way to mainstream press, but then decided to rest there, you skepticism about that info source took lunch.

Me however, I'm skeptical of everything... its a living hell.

kill me please

how's that?
since we are the ones who have provided all information and links, mainstream and independent, on the matter.

beacuse you completely rule out the possibility that he sank his own boat to (a) further discredit shell and
(b) divert garda water patrol from the kayaks that were boarding the dredgers at the same time.

and i think you'll find i had plenty of links in the last ten pages, just none from indymedia.

beacuse you completely rule out the possibility that he sank his own boat to (a) further discredit shell and
(b) divert garda water patrol from the kayaks that were boarding the dredgers at the same time.
no-one completely ruled anything out, just pointed out why that version is highly unlikely. also, they weren't picked up by the gardai and didn't contact them until after the incident so point (b) is not applicable.

i didnt say they were picked up by the guards, but the water patrol received the mayday call and went towards them, leaving the kayaks they were monitoring.

and i think you'll find i had plenty of links in the last ten pages, just none from indymedia.

the only link from Indymedia in this whole ship-wreck of a thread is in the original post... all other links by everyone are from regular news media or... er, Sinn Fein,... anyway, just in case you are trying to imply that everybody with a different opinion to you only reads Indymedia and nothing else.

The Ballyglass RNLI lifeboat and a number of vessels, including the Garda Water Unit, the Nomad tug and other craft replied, and the two men were taken on board the fishing vessel Rachel Mary and brought to shore. Weather in the area at the time was good with a light north-easterly breeze.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2009/0611/breaking37.htm

I am genuinely intrigued by the timing (4.30 distress call; 4.30 kayaks incident)... and would like to know more about this.

I would ask though: if the sinking diverted the Garda Water Unit, how did they manage to arrest six people of the 14 person kayak protest group

Gardai confirmed that six people were arrested at Glengad on public order offences.

well i think they were on the dredgers for a while at least and the guards simply went back and arrested a few when they went on shore.

because the minister for the marine at the time minister fahey basically gave it to the cunts for next to nothing.

We gave it away for next to nothing because:

a. we didn't have a fucking clue how to go about extracting it ourself
b. without proven reserves no one was going to come in a do it for us unless the deal was attractive
c. we did what Norway did and pretty much gave the first lot away in the hope that it would kick start the industry and tax take could be increased at a later date.

Yeah it's probably a shit deal. We probably could have done better.

So what?

Every single argument I hear from the Shell to Sea side when I look into it turns out to be bullshit.

The pressure is too high - no it's not, same pressure used in Canada and elsewhere and Shell agreed to reduce it anyway.
Unusual to bring odourless gas ashore - Kinsale gas comes ashore odourless
Pipe is dangerous - an engineer I know who worked on the pipe described it as bomb proof.

The handful of locals who oppose this have exhausted every legal recourse and yet still won't shut the fuck up. The largest construction project in the state which would earn the state hundreds of millions (at a time when it's sorely needed) is being held up by a shower of hysterical pricks, who's parents probably got all worked up abut the dangers of rural electrification.

While it's nice to view this as brave locals standing up to nasty oppressive Shell (and easy too, since Shell are pricks), I don't buy it.

SHELL TO SHORE AND JAIL FIVE MORE!

and also, it would seem the majority of people in this country and more importantly mayo and indeed the local communities most affected support the project, as it means jobs at the very least, and the garda presence due to s2s activity is now costing more than the entire dublin gangland-fighting budget.

well i think they were on the dredgers for a while at least and the guards simply went back and arrested a few when they went on shore.

think this (below) is a different Kayak-based protest incident a few days later, but I guess the same idea: board the dredger, sit on the mechanical parts so they cannot operate it, stay as long as you can.

anyway, when they make Shell to Sea: The Movie (starring Richard Gere as Willie Corduff), they've got to to include this protester escape scene... this is some Action Man shit:

Fearing for his own safety the protester jumped from the dredger arm onto the deck and dived into the water. In the water the crane protester managed to avoid capture by the Gardai and Shell security and get to the shore where he scaled a cliff to evade capture. His whereabouts are now unknown but he is safe and well!

and the garda presence due to s2s activity is now costing more than the entire dublin gangland-fighting budget.

i heard anecdotally that high numbers of Gardai are trying to request rotation off this duty, as they signed up to the thin blue line to crack skanger skulls, not face off constantly with their Bogger breathern

the guy who played a young che guevera in motorcycle diaries could play him!

motorcycle_diaries.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back