Zine Show, June 1st, Anthology Books (1 Viewer)

jimbobjones

Website
www.loserdomzine.com
Loserdom and The Forgotten Zine Archive Present: Zine Show – A celebration of Zines and Do-It-Yourself publishing in the form of an exhibition of zines/zine art (both Irish and international). Opening Night incorporates readings by zine-writers, poetry and music!

Exhibition from May 30th-June 24th. Opening Night with readings/music Thursday 1st June, 6.30-8.00pm.

AT: Anthology Books, Meeting House Square, Temple Bar, Dublin 2.

Further Info:
Zines are lively wide-awake publications made for passion instead of profit. The underground press of the new millennium – they can be xeroxed or printed; small or big; written, typed, typeset or drawn; and on any subject the creator cares about.

Derived from Science Fiction fan-magazines of the 1930's, with the advent of Punk in the late 70’s Zines emerged as a mongrel form of publishing in their own right.
Zines have been published here in Ireland since March 1977. While authors and publications have moved on over the years, the activity itself has persisted right up to the present day, despite the advent of the internet, e-zines and blogs.
At present in Dublin and Ireland, distribution avenues for zines are becoming more and more limited. Many of the independent record shops (the traditional places for locating zines) have little interest in stocking zines due to their low monetary return and small circulation figures; comic shops too eschew a similar view. This event promises to highlight zines as a cultural entity of relevance, by showing the scope of creativity, freedom of expression and realities documented alternate to those of the mainstream media and national cultural institutions.
The exhibition will be of a collection of covers from the Forgotten Zine Archive displayed along the main wall of the bookstore, alongside a number of handouts and freesheets to take home, while the opening event on Thursday June 1st will attempt to mirror the mixed-content, cut-and paste aesthetic of zines, by presenting a range of activities from people involved in the local zine/underground scene: readings by local “zinesters”, acoustic music and more!
To include: Readings by zinesters: Stephen Boris Beloney, Conor King Of The Sad People and more; music by Gary Fitz of The Sick and Indignant Song Society, and ex-The Great Western Squares, who will be playing acoustic versions of songs more in the line of his great 90’s hardcore-punk band Pincher Martin.

For more information contact:
Cecilia Dougherty: Anthology Books, Meeting House Square, Temple Bar, Dublin 2.
Tel: 01 635 1422 Web: www.anthologystore.com

Or look up: www.biblioactivedublin.org

Zine-writers please get in touch as there will be a shelf of local zines on sale/available so get in touch to submit.
After event: Skinny Wolves/GZ Dublin gig: An Albatross/We Are Knives/Retards/Born A Ghost in Lwr Deck.

GARYXKNIFEDX said:
Whatever happened to the zine library? I've loads of zines to find a new home for.
I was going to bring this up at the ZineShow, but as you've brought it up...the Forgotten Zine Archive needs help to survive!

In retrospect the Zine Archive got to big, too quick for one person (me) to deal with on their own. It hasn't been abandoned or forgotten but without a solid space, like the warehouse, its in real danger of literally falling apart. I need to come up with some knid of contingency plan, as I rent and can't store the 1400 zines. I do still try to do some Archive related stuff: I was setting it up to be part of Seomra Sproai in Abbey Street, but that fell through at the elevnt hour, trying to keep it alive with this zine show...I have plans to work on it parts in the summer. Its hard, zines seem to be an irrelevency now, and the sheer bulk of material is too much for me to deal with without support.

At the moment 80% of the Archive is stored generously in Krossie's garage. The rest (importantly 4 archive boxes of old MMR's, Heartattack's and other HC mags) are still in Abbey Street, due to lack of transport and bad relations with Landlord.

I don't really want to get into the position of being a receptical of a influx of new publications, when the existing library is not working. THe exisiting archive needs to be consolidated first. This is not my day job, and I've worked almost completely on my own, so its piecemeal at best.

Here's what is needed for a start:
1. An interested person, who has longerterm storage space, and possably a car, to offer to help me rescue the 4 HC mag boxes (inventoried already) from Abbey Street before they get lost or damaged - i am not confident of they're safety there. I hope nothing has happened already.
2. I plan at the least to work more over the Summer on the Irish part of the archive, do a proper cataloging, make it available online at biblioactivedublin.org , do a history etc. Anyone interested in that project?
3. Interest needs to be shown in order to keep all of the rest of the stuff together. Krossie can't store it forever, and I have no ideas for it outside of hoping a new Seomra Sproai space emerges soon. Archival institutions have expressed an informal interest, but I really don't see the point of that. It should stay within the same circle it originated from. Still, I don't intend lugging these around all my life, as a dead collection of other people's stuff. It needs to be active, used, maybe streamlined a bit? And, unless someone can offer longerterm storage, it has to be done sooner rather than later.

Anyway, hope this isn't all negative, but that's how things stand now, big projects like this don't really happen on their own. If its not a group effort, there's no reason for it to exist really, except as a history, and Krossie's garage don't look like no museum I've ever been to!

Interested people, ideas or points of view, post here or email [email protected]

Ciaran.

Not a joke:

can the editor/writer of a zine in the zine library request their zines to be returned/destroyed?Like I realise you're trying to make this old stuff available for other people,but if the..fuck it, Ciaran,you know what I'm talking about.

I don't want them in there.I want them destroyed.

needtokill said:
Not a joke:

can the editor/writer of a zine in the zine library request their zines to be returned/destroyed?Like I realise you're trying to make this old stuff available for other people,but if the..fuck it, Ciaran,you know what I'm talking about.

I'll have a think about that.
I guess its your personal decision + right if you don't want your stuff to be read again, but it might start an avalance of people requesting stuff not to be in until there is only half the archive left!

A workable other solution if you really, really don't want people reading your stuff...keeping the cover(s) (nothing to be embaressed of there?... unless its My Pole Your Hole!) in the archive as a record of the zine existing but sealing up or getting rid of the insides.

Carlow Punks! said:
I'll have a think about that.
I guess its your personal decision + right if you don't want your stuff to be read again, but it might start an avalance of people requesting stuff not to be in until there is only half the archive left!

A workable other solution if you really, really don't want people reading your stuff...keeping the cover(s) (nothing to be embaressed of there?... unless its My Pole Your Hole!) in the archive as a record of the zine existing but sealing up or getting rid of the insides.

Seal it up if you don't want it read again. Will keep the records anyway!

And Jamie, I want credit for your myspace pic!!!

São Paulo Punk said:
'My Pole Your Hole' was indeed a fine publication in its time, and should be mandatory reading for any Junior Certificate Honours level examination.
examination in what? social studies?

jimbobjones said:
Loserdom and The Forgotten Zine Archive Present: Zine Show – A celebration of Zines and Do-It-Yourself publishing in the form of an exhibition of zines/zine art (both Irish and international). Opening Night incorporates readings by zine-writers, poetry and music!

Exhibition from May 30th-June 24th. Opening Night with readings/music Thursday 1st June, 6.30-8.00pm.

AT: Anthology Books, Meeting House Square, Temple Bar, Dublin 2.

Further Info:
Zines are lively wide-awake publications made for passion instead of profit. The underground press of the new millennium – they can be xeroxed or printed; small or big; written, typed, typeset or drawn; and on any subject the creator cares about.

Derived from Science Fiction fan-magazines of the 1930's, with the advent of Punk in the late 70’s Zines emerged as a mongrel form of publishing in their own right.
Zines have been published here in Ireland since March 1977. While authors and publications have moved on over the years, the activity itself has persisted right up to the present day, despite the advent of the internet, e-zines and blogs.
At present in Dublin and Ireland, distribution avenues for zines are becoming more and more limited. Many of the independent record shops (the traditional places for locating zines) have little interest in stocking zines due to their low monetary return and small circulation figures; comic shops too eschew a similar view. This event promises to highlight zines as a cultural entity of relevance, by showing the scope of creativity, freedom of expression and realities documented alternate to those of the mainstream media and national cultural institutions.
The exhibition will be of a collection of covers from the Forgotten Zine Archive displayed along the main wall of the bookstore, alongside a number of handouts and freesheets to take home, while the opening event on Thursday June 1st will attempt to mirror the mixed-content, cut-and paste aesthetic of zines, by presenting a range of activities from people involved in the local zine/underground scene: readings by local “zinesters”, acoustic music and more!
To include: Readings by zinesters: Stephen Boris Beloney, Conor King Of The Sad People and more; music by Gary Fitz of The Sick and Indignant Song Society, and ex-The Great Western Squares, who will be playing acoustic versions of songs more in the line of his great 90’s hardcore-punk band Pincher Martin.

For more information contact:
Cecilia Dougherty: Anthology Books, Meeting House Square, Temple Bar, Dublin 2.
Tel: 01 635 1422 Web: www.anthologystore.com

Or look up: www.biblioactivedublin.org

Zine-writers please get in touch as there will be a shelf of local zines on sale/available so get in touch to submit.
After event: Skinny Wolves/GZ Dublin gig: An Albatross/We Are Knives/Retards/Born A Ghost in Lwr Deck.

.|..| .|..| .|..| .|..| .|..| .|..| .|..| .|..| .|..| .|..| .|..| .|..| .|..| .|..| .|..| .|..|

NEW ZINE READERS CONFIMED FOR ZINE SHOW!

Natalia Sweet Olive ( + Red Ink Books) Beylis, all the way freshly from one-traffic-light Leitrim.
Lisa Carbon + Carbide/File Under Concrete Cassidy, all the way from, er... downtown Harolds Cross.

alongside...

Stephen Boris Beloney (+ Kidd Blunt) from the wilds of Wicklow,
Conor King of The Sad People Derven, from the abandoned train stations of Wexford,
and acoustic versions of old Pincher Martin songs by Gary Sick and Indiginent Fitz, straight from The Fox and Pheasent.

Thursday June 1st @ 6:30 in Anthology Books, Meeting House Square, Temple Bar.

www.biblioactivedublin.org

[email protected]

needtokill said:
Not a joke:

sorry jamie, as i was once on 'the board' for this project and since your zine was my favorite irish zine ever - it stays and you will never get your moany little hands on it.

ha:p

love jones said:
sorry jamie, as i was once on 'the board' for this project and since your zine was my favorite irish zine ever - it stays and you will never get your moany little hands on it.

ha:p

I too thought it was a good zine. Keep it alive Jamie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back