Zanzibar (1 Viewer)

The two islands comprising Zanzibar (namely Zanzibar and Pemba) are located in the Indian Ocean, about 35 Kms off the coast of the mainland of Tanzania. Zanzibar Island, which is known as Unguja in Kiswahili, is the larger of the two - 50 miles long and 24 miles wide.

It's great. Can elaborate if you want ....

Yeah actually, elaboration would be great. I'm looking to go somewhere for Easter and this caught my attention.

paradise on earth, bit of an adventure getting from Dar Es Salamm to the island i thought.Taking the local cheap/slow ferry is madness...

I got the ferry one time as well. Scary.

Then again, the hydrofoil thing is pretty grim too. Everyone get's sick ...

Will elaborate tomorrow ... no time now

So anyway .... as Rimbaud says .. paradise on Earth.

You know that book, The Beach, that is all about finding the perfect mythically beautiful beach? Well, the east coast of Zanzibar is that beach. It's stunning ... white sands .... huge palm trees .... turquoise seas ... you know the score ..... it does exist! I'm not a beach person but I could have stayed there forever.

Zanzibar town is also awesome. It's a Muslim island so it's a kind of a cross between African and Arab. The Arabs shipped all the slaves from East Africa out through Zanzibar so it has a fractious history. I'm telling you .. it's like walking into an Indiana Jones set. Windy streets ... beautiful carved doors .... falling apart though. I went to the house where Richard Burton lived for a while before setting off looking for the Nile. And there's great food ... and amazing music.

Really it's deadly. Just go if you can. It is a bit dodgy though ... but aren't all the best places? You thinking of going on some kind of package or doing it independently?

I should warn you that it was 10 years ago when I was there ... maybe the whole place is covered in hotels now ... I dunno.

...to carry on...people are as friendly as hell.
I went and stayed in Stonetown, a bit dodgy sometimes i felt, down around the port.But just smiling and carrying on should get you through fine.Seems that cocaine has seeped into the streets there with some young fellas in dire need of a fix, they'll try and be your 'guide' and all that - don't stop, smile and carry on.Worked grand for me.But all thats minor stuff that happens in loadsa places.
Stayed on the east coast of the island at Paje, in a great place called Mustafa's place.Highly recommended.
zanzibar2.jpg

This was my beach house for something like 15$ including meals - fresh fruit for breakfast, fresh octopus for dinner etc...
Mustafa Place - as the name may suggest - is a Rasta run place, plenty Malawi weed for those who prefer that kind of chilling.I was there for the Reggae, love reggae.

Outside the door:

zanzibar.jpg

p.s.
was there aroud 2004, around April or so - this time of year is VERY hot there - humidity at an all time high - nearly did me in for the first two days.I'd pump a bucket of sweat just sitting on a chair in the shade, much to the amusement of some of the locals.
Learn some Swahili, breaks the ice, get your mosquito injections and go.Beats sitting around here i tell ya!
Don't expect broadband internet or anything though!
People just sit around and take it easy all day, in between a spot of fishing - was talking to a guy who could'nt figure out why white europeans spend all their lives working all the time, just for some relaxation when they retire.He's right, madness this bloody work carry on is.

I've been to zanzibar for 2 weeks, it was awesome ... great to relax and still have and active holiday. First went to the north Nungwi, 2 days stone town (super hot) and then the East Jambiani... It really was great

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back