Your Top 3 'World Music' Album Recommendations (1 Viewer)

Cryptid

Offline for a few weeks - I needs to get some work
Website
thecrocodilequarter.tumblr.com
For what it's worth, mine are:

A Tábua De Esmeralda - Jorge Ben

f45122zh2ls.jpg

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:3nfexqlhldje said:
Review by Philip Jandovský

A Tábua de Esmeralda (together with Jorge Ben's 1976 album África Brasil) could be said to represent the creative culmination of his astonishing '70s. The music that Ben recorded during this period had tremendous influence on Brazilian musicians at that time and to a great extent helped to ignite the creative explosion that took place in the Brazilian samba rock and samba soul scenes during the '70s. The sound on this particular album is very simple, with the songs being driven by Ben's characteristic acoustic guitar playing together with a bass guitar and percussion. Floating in the background on several tracks are also some nice string arrangements and a double bass. The melodies are magnificently crafted, managing to be catchy and free-flowing without ever feeling banal or predictable. One of many great songs on this album is the upbeat opening track, "Os Alquimistas Estão Chegando," with its funny lyrics about alchemists. Other especially fine moments are the space-themed "Errare Humanum Est," "Zumbi," with its Africa-inspired lyrics, "Cinco Minutos," and "Magnolia." A Tábua de Esmeralda belongs in the record collection of any fan of Ben's music and is also a great starting point for someone who wants an introduction to his work.

Clandestino - Manu Chao

g05492tpcmi.jpg

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:0bfrxqrjldae said:
Review by John Bush

The first solo album released by the former frontman of Mano Negra, Clandestino is an enchanting trip through Latin-flavored worldbeat rock, reliant on a potpourri of musical styles from traditional Latin and salsa to dub to rock & roll to French pop to experimental rock to techno. Chao's voice tends to be a bit nasally, but the best songs ("Mentira," "Mama Call," and the silly novelty "Bongo Bong") here benefit from his infectious, freewheeling delivery which incorporates balladry, chorus vocals, rapping, and tossed-off spoken-word passages. Just about every track has odd sampled bits from what sound like pirate radio-station broadcasts (a possible link to the title). There are so many great ideas on this record that it's difficult to digest in one listen, but multiple plays reveal the great depth of Manu Chao's artistry.

Chuva Em Pó - Think of One

g36574nqxa6.jpg

http://musicabrasileira.org/reviewsinterviews/tochuva.html (excerpt) said:
The music on this album is based on the various rhythms of Brazil's northeast. The côco is represented on "Côco Medley," a style said to be originated in the seventeenth century, when Afro-Brazilians sang work songs, while breaking coconuts on the rocks, clapping a 2/4 rhythm with the coconut shells. Dona Cila do Côco makes this a song about her grandchildren. Siba (mainly known from Mestre Ambrósio) is guest on the weird maracatu "Tubarão" (Shark). Siba was asked to write lyrics about a shark, after David Bovée thought he saw a shark, while swimming in the ocean near Recife... The overall mood of the song represents the frightening moments of the band leader. Siba is lead vocalist, while the three singers take care of the traditional "answering." In between the a cappella vocals are pieces of heavy rock music, accentuating the uneasy moments in the ocean. The song is a good example as how TO1 works, adding their own musical influences (rock, jazz, pop, funk) to the traditional rhythms of Brazil, making this an album with an original concept. Another weird example is the song "Paletó" (Jacket), a friendly bossa, with a beautiful horn arrangement. The shock comes when the vocals are sung in the dialect of Antwerp, with the Brazilian vocalists repeating in Portuguese. Nice trombone solo by Tobe Wouters, by the way. "Sideways Swimming" also has an air of bossa, in a very jazzy arrangement, with vocals reminding of the psychedelic pop music of the seventies. Eric Morel (saxophones), Tobe Wouters (tuba and trombone) and Dominic Ntoumos (trumpet) perform a great job here, as they actually do throughout this album. "Grito Grande" has a catchy shuffle, featuring the wonderful vocals of Dona Cila. "Avô no Céu" is an afoxé based instrumental, with João Carlos Araújo on cello. "Maconha do Brasil" refers to Ary Barroso's "Aquarela do Brasil." The melody line is played on vague keyboards (Tom Pintens), hidden behind a strong rhythm and horns. The album closes with the superb "Frevo Pinguim," also an instrumental. The horn section does great things again, while the tuba links this frevo even to the music of New Orleans, an out of style guitar solo, spoken words: it makes the song very theatrical; images made of music. Throughout the album the rhythm section (Tomas de Smet on bass, Roel Poriau, drums and the above mentioned percussionists) forms the constant link to Brazil. The music itself explores many variations of world wide popular music.

A very interesting album, not taking it the easy way. Demanding an open mind from the listener and rewarding that with a thorough study of the rhythms of Brazil's northeast.

if we're talking about just kinda african stuff, then this was easily my favourite of last year..

51acIOAy0mL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

otherwise this is amazing:

Vanessa-Paradis-Divinidylle-413258.jpg

ART_6465.JPG

warsaw villiage band - uprooting

mow105.jpg

the blind street musicians of cusco

really theres only about 3 tunes on it but sassaassawhampi is amazing. its based on a common south american folk song thats on nearly every south american folk album, i'd love to know what the real name is and what its about.

Any field recordings of the Baka pygmies FTW.
Juju music-King Sunny Ade
Abida Parveen-The best of

im sure everyones heard tinariwen by this stage.

I bought tinariwen's 'water is life' a while. Some very interesting stuff on it alright. I'd like to get earlier stuff from them. Apparently their gig last year in Dublin (maybe 2007?) was great. The bass player is left handed but plays it jimi hendrix style, without the strings changed around. How cool!

Apart from that I've heard nothing on this thread, so great stuff.

I'm just waiting for the first person to point out that the term "world music" is completely meaningless as if the entire musical output of the world that isn't English speaking or 'Western' leaning culturally can be lumped into a single musical category.

Which is exactly what I've just done.

I'm just waiting for the first person to point out that the term "world music" is completely meaningless as if the entire musical output of the world that isn't English speaking or 'Western' leaning culturally can be lumped into a single musical category.

Which is exactly what I've just done.

True, true, but the similar arguments could be applied to 'indie' or 'rock' or 'metal'. It's just when one say's 'world music', it means a certain thing. It is shite lumping Bossa Nova in with Likembe music and Bhangra or whatever, but as long we're talking about good music, it doesn't really matter.

Speaking of Likembe music, anyone try Konono N°1's 'Congotronics'? I bought it and found it interesting, but a bit inaccessible.

Also, the Rough Guide to North Africian Music is pretty great. I bought Brasilian Beats 5 and it's pretty excellent (apart from some of the hip-hop). It was the first time I'd heard Jorge Ben - Take It Easy My Brother Charlie. Probably the best song ever.

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=AKRB3_fVYzU

516H8K1558L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Forward Kwenda - Svikiro: Meditations from a Mbira Master

This is really beautiful. Meditative thumb piano vibes. The other side of the Congotronics coin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back