Your earliest memory (2 Viewers)

• Thread starter GO
  • Start date
  • Replies 35
  • Views 2K
  • Watchers 4
grandparent's gaff in blackrock, walking about in this old glasshouse and smelling tomatoes for the first time I think.

Carrigart was the name of the house. That poor young Irish wan that was killed in Majorca or Minorca or something by some lad grew up in that house I believe. Lisa McConway I think her name was. Very sad stuff.

I remember it becoming 1980. I remember people thinking it was a big deal and having a bit of a hooley about it, and I stood around and didn;t really get it. I would have been three. Pretty young. Mad.

My parents' first shop in Swords, 1983, so I was 18 months. I have various memories of roughly the same time but some seem like they were dreams or are really distorted by time if that makes any sense.

Sitting in my TV room with my mammy who just made me a sambo, watching Dallas and thinking that my brothers should be home from big school soon.

Eh its either one or the other..

One of the brothers got some blue Daffy duck bubble bath for christmas. Slatered it all over the floor behind the sofa and walked off.

Or..

Getting pissed off and throwing my first barbie into the fire. Then the next day begrudingly sitting on top of the washing machine looking as my mother clipped all the burned hair off barbies head.

Eh that whole personality thing might be right... my basic reaction was to go mental to anything I didnt agree with until I reached 18.

Eh that whole personality thing might be right... my basic reaction was to go mental to anything I didnt agree with until I reached 18.
and it's always been my habit to lurk silently, watching...not always from under a table, but sometimes

my earliest memory is sitting in a cardboard box in a living room somewhere licking my knee and being quite content.

either walking across the field behind my folks house with my brother, or being in hospital after a fall and having the kid in the bed next to me repeatedly shouting "ME ARM IS HURTING ME!".

I was bout 2. I was proudly showing my helium filled baloon to the neighborhood kids who were hanging out in our front garden. I was playing a game with it that involved letting go of the string and then grabbing it again real quick before it escaped and flew away.

...Of course it eventually shot off like a bolt and was a dot on the horizon in a matter of seconds. "That's probably over O'Connell St. by now" pronounced a local 10 year old sagely, as he squinted east, and pushed his national health spectacles up his nose.

My life in a nutshell.

6 months old, sitting in a high chair in my nana's kitchen and grabbing my aunties lovely orange glowing cigarette as she cooed at me. Apparently a trauma like that can burn (pun intended) into your memory like that.
I can remember exactly who was in the room, down to what they were wearing and what wallpaper was on the wall. My mother has confirmed this.

When something of note happens with my son I intend to give him a good belt so he remembers it!

i remember my dad being there but only as a pair of legs like parents in cartoons, i might have made that bit up though.

I remember being small enough that all I could see of my Mum was a pair of flared jeans, and she's only 4'11".

I remember being in a pram outside my Gran's house, with my Mum rocking the pram back and forth as she talked to a neighbour. I remember thinking "I know the pram's not moving, does she think I'm stupid?"

I also remember crying my eyes out when my parents took away our old familiar fridge and got a new one, I was about 2. Which I'd forgotten about until I saw this similar unwarranted reaction to getting rid of something clapped out and useless:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

6 months old, sitting in a high chair in my nana's kitchen and grabbing my aunties lovely orange glowing cigarette as she cooed at me. Apparently a trauma like that can burn (pun intended) into your memory like that.
I can remember exactly who was in the room, down to what they were wearing and what wallpaper was on the wall. My mother has confirmed this.

That's amazing that you can remember from that young.

I can only go as far back as 3.
I stole some orange plastic binoculars from a newsagent when I wasn't allowed them.

I owned up to it about an hour after we got home.

being in a toy store in madrid, having a go of a pedal car. zoomed around the store and smacked into a display with hundreds of toys stacked on top of each other, the entire thing came careering to the ground.
my mum was so embarassed she had to buy me the car. i was just gone 2.

the next part of the memory can't be true, but i remember we were flying home that day and that i pedalled my car all the way from the shop to the airport.

my first memories are..
being in (what used to be) quinnsworth in hartstown, in my mothers pram, being pushed around doing the shopping. i remember there being a crashing noise and an 'oh jesus!' or something along those lines, anyway, i looked down onto the part of the pram that covered my legs and there was a chip on it. i put it into my mouth then and got a fright as the chip was frozen. don't know if i cried or not, i just remember pushing it out of my mouth with my tongue. musta been wearing mittens too cause i didn't cop it was frozen when it was in my hands. i was around 18 months then.

i remember falling over in my da's fiat uno on the way to the hospital after my sister was born. i was 23 months old and years afterwards, when i worked on dorset street on the corner that leads down to o' connell, i suddenly realised/ had a flashback of it happening on that same corner. weird shit.

Memory is mad though. Look at a film you saw as a kid and haven't seen since. You'll have remembered it so differently usually. People's earliest childhood memories seem to vary from birth to sometimes 6 years old. I think it was Beckett who claimed to remember being in the womb but he would wouldn't he? :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back