Yer Ma is yer Da (1 Viewer)

Squiggle

Born-again non-smoker
Supporter
Website
www.myspace.com
Now this could be a reality :eek:

[FONT=Verdana, Arial]Synthetic cells may pave way for woman-only conception

WOMEN might soon be able to produce their own sperm in a development that could allow lesbian couples to have their own biological daughters, according to a pioneering study published today.
Scientists are seeking ethical permission to produce synthetic sperm cells from a woman's bone-marrow tissue after they have shown that it is possible to produce rudimentary sperm cells from male bone-marrow tissue.
The researchers said they had already produced early sperm cells from bone-marrow tissue taken from men. They believe the findings show that it may be possible to restore fertility to men who cannot produce their own sperm naturally.
However, the results also raise the prospect of taking bone-marrow tissue from women and coaxing the stem cells within the female tissue to develop into sperm cells, said Professor Karim Nayernia of the University of Newcastle upon Tyne.
Creating sperm from women would mean they would only be able to produce daughters because the Y chromosome of male sperm would still be needed to produce sons. The latest research brings the prospect of female-only conception a step closer.
"Theoretically is it possible. The problem is whether the sperm cells are functional or not. I don't think there is an ethical barrier so long as it's safe," Prof Nayernia said.
"We are in the process of applying for ethical approval. We are preparing now to apply to use the existing bone-marrow stem cell bank here in Newcastle," he said.
"We need permission from the patient who supplied the bone marrow, the ethics committee and the hospital itself," he added.
If sperm cells can be developed from female bone tissue they will be matured in the laboratory and tested for their ability to penetrate the outer "shell" of a hamster's egg - a standard fertility test for sperm.
However, there is no intention at this stage to produce female sperm that would be used to fertilise a human egg, which would require the approval of the Human Fertilisation and Embryology Authority, Prof Nayernia said. The immediate aim is to see if female bone-marrow can be lured into developing into the stem cells that can make sperm cells. The ultimate aim is to see whether these secondary stem cells can then be made into other useful body tissues. The findings are published in the journal Reproduction: Gamete Biology. (© Independent News Service)
Steve Connor

[/FONT]

there's a (completely untested and probably untestable (yet)) theory that women born with XXX genes could spontaneously conceive.

I'm wondering how there would be any difference between a child created from artificial sperm from the same woman as produced the egg and a clone. Also, isn't this inbreeding taken to extremes which could lead to genetic problems?

I understand that it would be nice for same sex couples to be able to produce a child that is biologically the child of both... but doesn't it descriminate against men for their lack of a womb?

I'm wondering how there would be any difference between a child created from artificial sperm from the same woman as produced the egg and a clone. Also, isn't this inbreeding taken to extremes which could lead to genetic problems?

I understand that it would be nice for same sex couples to be able to produce a child that is biologically the child of both... but doesn't it descriminate against men for their lack of a womb?

That's a fair point, it does nothing to address the problem of two gay men wishing for the same thing...I don't know...there are some things that should not be messed with. It may not seem fair that only heterosexual couples have the ability to produce a child with genetic code from both parents...but that's nature and there are certain facts in life that just have to be accepted. I personally think a breakthrough in gay adoption rights would be far more beneficial for everyone...

That's a fair point, it does nothing to address the problem of two gay men wishing for the same thing...I don't know...there are some things that should not be messed with. It may not seem fair that only heterosexual couples have the ability to produce a child with genetic code from both parents...but that's nature and there are certain facts in life that just have to be accepted. I personally think a breakthrough in gay adoption rights would be far more beneficial for everyone...
agreed 100%

you burds will still miss the cock, gaurenteed.

we're safe boys, but we'd* better work on our techniques

not me, obviously

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back