Xpress 6 (1 Viewer)

Anthony

Supporter
Since 2000
Solutions
Website
www.themiddleagesband.com
If you're thinking of upgrading to QuarkXpress 6 here's my experience after just a day:

Unexpectedly quits if you even look at it funny.
A version 4 document has to be saved as Version 5 and then you cannot "save" again, instead you have to keep "save as" writing over you old file. (major time waster)
Text Box and Picture Box black dots on the corners stay black, even on a black background - you can't see them!
Text generally appears not anti aliased.
Auto save does not work properly.

Then specific things that happened to me while working:
Document suddenly turned "bad file format" (as good as lost)
Text became erratic when being selected, disappeared. Whole lines could not be selected.
Images changed (!!!)
Text sizes and fonts changed (!!)
Document "saved as pdf" came out incomplete.

The whole thing feels like it could go at any time and that coupled with Apple's moronic new "open" and "save" dialog boxes made Xpress4.1 and OS8.6 very inviting experience

hey Anthony,

is this the release version or is it the beta?
In design seems to be a zillion times better by all accounts but not may repro houses / printeers will accept it.

It's the beta but for fucks sake the thing b a r e l y w o r k s !

I think it's time i taught myself InDesign

Maybe it's the number 6? Netscape 6 was terrible too!

word on the "street" is Indesign is going to take over any day now

and if Quark 6 is that pants its not hard to see

even 4.1 is buggy as hell, very unstable

I heard you got yourself a big old MONSTER Mac there Anthony

how she treating you?

All this OSx scares me a little. I'm so used to my 8.6 that I never even bothered with OS9. I just loved the way everything worked fine. Sure there's things in X that blow me away (iPhoto for example) but I need to be able to work and that's not pricking around with (fantastic looking) animation.

Still it's coming together. Got Suitcase 10 today.

Safari is great though.

Safari is a bit buggy buh, wish they'd hurry up and finish it

the bookmarking in it is deadly buh

do you want In design anto?

I just upgraded to OSx Panther, am running new version of Suitcase (X1) and Quark 5 in classic mode. Some bugs but all ironed out now, my machine (an old 533 512 RAM g4) is going faster than ever and PDF's are all fine. Panther rocks, navigation is very smooth, also no more ATM and its the best on screen font smoothing ive ever seen. InDesign CS is MUCH faster than previous versions, same with Illustrator CS.

In terms of printers not accepting InDesign files, it has always been my experience that you tell them that its all you have and they should go and buy the thing. Thats how it works! If they lose even a couple of print jobs because they dont have a 700 buck piece of software they'll start asking questions. And historically printers are the first to upgrade software so its only a matter of time. Make the switch now! Screw Quark!

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back