Writing CV's (1 Viewer)

classic seanc

So,

GAH!!! This is the pain in the hole!

Someone give me a link to a good resource please, or share any tips you might have. You'll get repped right between the eyes.

Thanks.

Gun-Word-Up---Part-1-53770.jpg

seanc said:
So,

GAH!!! This is the pain in the hole!

Someone give me a link to a good resource please, or share any tips you might have. You'll get repped right between the eyes.

Thanks.

what kind of a job are you applying for young lad?
i like to see youth like you going out there and working hard, unlike those punks in "eirecore" who spend the day drinking and milking The State of all its good money.

i think with cv writing it's a real long project which will involve failed interviews until you can get the perfect cv

that's what i've done

due to itnerview questions that rpoved tough for me to answer that meant i took out information from my cv

i'm sorry i can't be more positive on the subject

Most important thing is to keep it clear and uncluttered, don't bother with loads of fancy fonts and the like.

Make sure that there is a continuous time line for all your jobs. If you were sitting on your arse on the scratcher for a couple of months put something like studying or travelling instead.

Make sure you put some thing interesting into to your hobbies/interests section. I’ve interviewed people before and it gives the interviewer something to chat about with you that’s not just about the job. They’ll be looking for relevant experience but also that you will fit in and aren’t an axe murderer.

Don’t go over board on the bullshit though, you could be found out pretty easily.

Spell check it and then get a few people to read over it. Also make sure you know the cv inside out. I’ve asked about things on a cv and received blank looks from the interviewee, looks bad.

Try not to do what I have done in this post and ramble on and on and avoid using the smae phrases over and over again, like "make sure"
Most of all remember that the cv will be their first impression of you, make sure it’s a good one or you won’t even get an interview.

flashpants said:
Most important thing is to keep it clear and uncluttered, don't bother with loads of fancy fonts and the like.

Make sure that there is a continuous time line for all your jobs. If you were sitting on your arse on the scratcher for a couple of months put something like studying or travelling instead.

Make sure you put some thing interesting into to your hobbies/interests section. I’ve interviewed people before and it gives the interviewer something to chat about with you that’s not just about the job. They’ll be looking for relevant experience but also that you will fit in and aren’t an axe murderer.

Don’t go over board on the bullshit though, you could be found out pretty easily.

Spell check it and then get a few people to read over it. Also make sure you know the cv inside out. I’ve asked about things on a cv and received blank looks from the interviewee, looks bad.

Try not to do what I have done in this post and ramble on and on and avoid using the smae phrases over and over again, like "make sure"
Most of all remember that the cv will be their first impression of you, make sure it’s a good one or you won’t even get an interview.

Thanks.

C'mere to me though, are graduate cv's different to regular cv's? How?

I was helped to do my last cv by an old flatmate to worked for a temping/recruitment agency. She'll be the first to get a look at this one. It's real short (there is no Hobbies and Interests section) and too the point, and and I left out the less relevant jobs. I've found that interviewers don't really care too much about your outside interests. If they do they can just ask anyway can't they?

code: I think my funny soundness will shine through, so I won't need to write it.
kirstie: If I see any ads for "Professional Pedant", I'll be sure to call the company up and show them this thread.

use the careers office in college. seriously its a rilly good resource. im in the same boat at the mo. good tip i got off my one: tailor your language to suit the job spec, eg if they say looking for individual with good motivation, works well in teams etc. say all that. go through the spec and highlight the buzz words like "motivated" succeed" etc and use all of them you can. keep it short as poss. avoid using "I". instead of saying: i have relevant experince in... say: My time in *** has taught me.. layout is really important as well, have each section broken up by something like a horizontal line... sections: *name, address** **education** **work experience** **related skills** **personal statement** dont use times new roman... use a nice different serif font for body text and a san serif for headings... dont have a wierd email address like 24hrbooze@yahoo or sum such if neccessary get a new one

Politakill1 said:
Dont forget to add in your 100m community games medals that you won back in the day!!

I always came last in the 100m. I got a silver medal art in though in 1988. It's still on my mantle piece.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back