working in the US (1 Viewer)

La La

i drink your milkshake
i learned that aussie passport holders can get these fast-track working visas to the states. they issue 10,000 a year and are fairly easy to get. thing is, i'd like to know from people who've worked there (longer than a J1, did that already) once you have a job and have worked there for a year, is it easy to stay on? can you get sponsored easy enough? the visa is only valid for a year, so if anyone's been in a similar situation, suggestions would be much appreciated :)

i worked in usa on a J1 visa and i looked into extending it after the year- i cant remember exactly im afraid but i think it was quite difficult for me to do..
i knew loads of people working there illegally but because im a scaredy cat that wasnt an option for me so i just flew home and went back out there for another three months on a holiday visa..

basically thats of no use to you whatsoever.
!bog
i guess it all depends on what your trade is and what company you're going to be working for etc..

i was working in a music store in ny during the summer of 2003 on a j1.
i could of gotten sponsored to have stayed on but couldnt due to an arranged marriage.
the manager of the store i was in was irish so of course he was gonna do me a favour but unless you're going to be working in a job thats well paying or has some kind of prospects then you'll find it hard to stay on.
isnt this the reason why they stopped the whole j2 programme or whatever its called, to stop more illegal immigrants living in the states?

siobhan said:

not much to tell im afraid, parents arranged the marriage when i was 2.
they put down 3 cows and a goat as a dowery.

in other sponsored related news one of the girls who stayed with us whilst we were there was honestly contemplating marrying a guy just so she could stay on.
she also considered (no joke) selling her eggs to a medical lab for cash, pole dancing and glamour modelling.
in the end her j1 came to a natural end and she went back to sligo.

mr pharmacist said:
in other sponsored related news one of the girls who stayed with us whilst we were there was honestly contemplating marrying a guy just so she could stay on.
she also considered (no joke) selling her eggs to a medical lab for cash, pole dancing and glamour modelling.
in the end her j1 came to a natural end and she went back to sligo.

Was her name Áine by any chance?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back