WIVES/WE ARE KNIVES Lazybird Oct 2 2005 (1 Viewer)

nEiLo

Website
www.lazybird.org
Wives
We Are Knives

Door Tax: 10euro

http://www.wearewives.com/

WIVES (Dean Allen Spunt - vocals/guitar Randy Randall - guitars and Jeremy Villalobos - drums) is a young and charismatic trio that seems to have revitalized the L.A. underground overnight. Despite the fact that WIVES sounds more akin to sneering cynical noisemeisters Shellac, Lightning Bolt and Born Against, the band's earnest energy and charm is much more reminiscent of DC punk legends Minor Threat. Yes, that's a bold statement, for sure. But, anyone that has seen WIVES live will concur -- there's an inherent and intangible infectiousness to its personality that can inspire and revitalize hardened music fans. Wives' influences straddle the past and the present while diving headfirst into the future. Combined influential nods and musical elements of past greats like Rapeman, Bastro, Girls Vs Boys, Black Flag and the Minutemen are mixed with the contemporary likeness of Lightning Bolt, The Locust, Arab On Radar, or even early Black Dice -- all seen through an early 80's Dischord filter via Government Issue, Teen Idles or Skewbald. The comparison is not only in sound, but also in aesthetic. One of a handful of truly re-vitalizing new punk bands from the USA at this moment in time.
Erect the Youth Problem CD - Out now.

We Are Knives didn't send us a bio like they promised but it doesn't matter because they will rock your face off. Like Wives, We Are Knives is a young and charismatic trio.

=====================================================

Next Week:
Oct 9 - DEL 9 show us their wares.
Oct 16 - Sadako plus ??

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

And don't forget to tune into Radio-Inactivity, the weekly Lazybird radio webcast. It happens every Sunday between 6pm and 7:30pm on http://www.powerfm.org.

LAZYBIRD
Sunday, 9pm 'til closing
International Bar (upstairs), Wicklow Street, Dublin 2
www.lazybird.org

Re: WIVE/WE ARE KNIVES Lazybird Oct 2 2005

MacFlecknoe said:
What's up with the site?

It got hacked sometime last week (thanks to Tom for pointing that out). Boigaz is the one who maintains it, but he's on holidays and only gets back tomorrow. He knows it's fucked up, though, so we'll try to get it sorted out as soon as we can.

Paul

nEiLo said:
We Are Knives didn't send us a bio like they promised but it doesn't matter because they will rock your face off. Like Wives, We Are Knives is a young and charismatic trio.

Here's something Pete Jez wrote about them;

"With ex-members of SOME DAYS BETTER and the KILLING SPREE how could they fail to be amazing? Shifting time signatures, finger tapping, guitar loops and pounding drum kit, these guys get better with each show. Perhaps the best band from these shores? That wouldnt be an exaggeration. They're ability to play is only matched by their willingness to play. Since only joining forces with ex-Killing Spree drummer, Bernard, they've gone from strength to strength and now there's nothing holding them back. Easily able to give any touring band they've played with a run for their money."

Sure have a look at them too;

wak2.JPG
wak1.JPG

Beak said:
Here's something Pete Jez wrote about them;

Who, pray tell, is Pete Jez?

Excuse my ignorance on this - I've just never heard of him

MacFlecknoe said:
Who, pray tell, is Pete Jez?

Excuse my ignorance on this - I've just never heard of him

He's not famous or anything, he's part of collective up north. He wrote that for the Wives/WAK Belfast show and I just thought I'd credit him because I'm not sure if he posts here under some name or other.

actually intended to go to this, but during dinner, i discovered magnum pi on telly. er, so, yeah i'm not their.ooops;)

we are knives were amazing!!!!!!!!!! wives had a lot to live up to, and they didn't really. good fun though.

choice audience quotes: 'what does awesome mean?' and 'can i loaf the cymbal?'

wives1.jpg

wives2.jpg

i liked wives a lot. press releases are bullshit for the most part, bit silly to harsh them for not living up to it. i liked their spunk. that song which started with the drummer 'singing' was brill. what a bassline.

p.s. why does every indie photographer go for the effect above? it ruins perfectly good images!

i'd assume this is an accidental effect. what with all these digital camera's going around with their slow exposures, it's bound to happen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back