win tix to see reggae legend JUNIOR MURVIN this Monday (1 Viewer)

Deaglan

Website
www.goodluckski.com
Best known for the classic ‘Police & Thieves’ track he wrote and had produced by Lee Scratch Perry in the 1970s; Jamaican veteran JUNIOR MURVIN plays his first ever Irish shows this weekend with back up from 6 piece band The Hardway Dub Roots Crew. He will be supported in CrawDaddy, Dublin on Monday by King Sativa and Firehouse Skank’s DJ Paul for what promises to be a classic night.

To win a pair of tickets, please answer the following question:

The Clash covered 'Police & Thieves' and introduced it to the punk generation in 1977, but which adrogynous popstar-turned-DJ later covered the same song.

Answers to [email protected] by 4pm tomorrow (Friday 22nd Oct).

More info on this gig and artist below....

a jamaican reggae legend’s Irish debut…

JUNIOR MURVIN

& The Hardway Dub Roots Crew

+ King Sativa

+ Firehouse Skank DJ Paul

CrawDaddy, Old Harcourt St. Train Station, Tel. 01 4780225

Monday 25th October. Doors 8 pm

seated €24.50, standing €27.50. Tickets available from Soundcellar, Road Records, City Discs, Comet Records, Freebird Records, Big Brother, and Ticketmaster (www.ticketmaster.ie )

Jamaica’s instantly recognisable falsetto voice, Junior Murvin is a living reggae legend who created the classic ‘Police and Thieves’. In his first visit to Europe since appearing on Jools Holland in May this year, and his first ever Irish show, Murvin is bringing a six piece band to CrawDaddy to perform the best of his forty-year career.

Collaborating with and inspiring seminal producer Lee ‘Scratch’ Perry, Murvin’s work was marked by his soulful voice and strong message. ‘Police and Thieves’ resonated with the violent problems of the time, and was widely cited to accurately personify the cry of the Jamaican People in the strife torn mid 1970's and early 1980's,’ as well as becoming the anthem for the violent tensions in the UK at the Notting Hill Carnival in 1977.

Influencing artists from The Clash to Boy George (both of whom covered Junior Murvin tracks) , he has also worked with Max Romeo, King Tubby, and The Wailers’ Aston 'Familyman' Barrett, and after appearing on the soundtrack to Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels, his talent and relevance has been introduced to an entirely new generation. Along with other hits ‘Miss Kushie’, ‘Bad Man Posse,’ and ‘Solomon’, Junior Murvin brings his unique take on roots reggae to the intimate setting of Crawdaddy.

Junior Murvin & The Hardway Dub Roots Crew will be supported on the night by Dublin’s number one reggae act King Sativa, and Firehouse Skank’s DJ Paul will be spinning the dub and reggae classics for the night.

Junior Murvin

Junior Murvin achieved fame as the falsetto singer of 'Police and Thieves' which was an international hit for him and innovative reggae production artiste Lee Scratch Perry. The song has been covered by artists as diverse as The Clash and Boy George, and has maintained his profile over twenty years after it was made. In the dancehall's Junior Murvin has scored with hits: the ultra rare easy skank of 'Miss Kushie', the seminal 'Cool Out Son', and others like 'I'm In Love', 'Bad Man Posse' and 'Muggers In The Street', releasing enough material to maintain his reputation, without ever flooding the market. His uniquely pitched voice is unmistakeable and has stood the test of time as he effectively shows on 'Wise Man' which he recorded in November 1998.

Junior Murvin began his singing career after going to school first in Port Antonio and then in Montego Bay. Junior's main influences in his youth were ballads and soul classics by the likes of Billy Eckstein, Nat King Cole, Curtis Mayfield, Benny King, Sam Cooke, Brook Benton, Roy Hamilton and others. Junior soon moved to Kingston where the growing recording industry was based: "I left Montego Bay, I went to Kingston to live with me aunty in Trenchtown. There I get to know Delroy Wilson, Stranger Cole, the whole a the Wailers, Ken Boothe, he was from Denham Town. I get to know Alton Ellis, he always like how I sing, an tell me say 'youth you're going to make it y'know', an Ken Boothe always say 'youth you have to come harder y'know- cause me know you have it'. A guy name Jackson Jones taught me to play guitar y'know - used to carry me up and down, everywhere I used to go and sing they used to say 'soul soul soul' so they just call me Junior Soul. Monty Morris usually help me to sing in time y'know, taught me harmony, also Derrick Harriet taught me harmony".

He began his recording career as Junior Soul recording first for Sonia Pottinger's Gayfeet Label with 'Miss Kushie' in 1966, and then 'Slipping' and 'Jennifer'. Derrick Harriet's Crystal imprint also showcased this new talent with tunes like 'Soloman' (originally written by Junior and re-recorded later with Perry), 'One Wife', 'Hustler', 'Magic Touch', 'Big Boy', 'Glendevon Special', 'Chatty Chatty', 'Yellow Basket' and 'Rescue Children', (which he also later recorded for Lee Perry along with Soloman'). While he was recording he also joined various live bands touring Jamaica playing to both locals and tourists, attracted by the fledgling tourist industry. He was at one time time part of The Hippy Boys singing with Max Romeo and backed by the rhythm of Carlton and Family Man Barrett, and later the Mighty Falcons doing covers of the Stylistics, Chi-lites and Curtis Mayfield tunes. Other members of this last band included Dennis Brown, Noel Brown (of the Chosen Few) and Cynthia Richards. Junior continued to concentrate on live work with The Tornadoes who later became the Young Experience Band. These bands included Lenford Richards, guitarist in Burning Spear's band, vocalist Carl 'Passion' Nelson who today runs the X-Rated label, and bassist Earl Jackson from Native Studios amongst others. He recorded a few tunes like Slim Smiths 'Conversation' (Top Hat Music 7') and played the hotel circuit and Kingston clubs like Merritone Discotek and The Sombrero, until the mid 70's when the band became defunct and he had an idea for a song which had special qualities.

At this time he needed a name change as there was another Junior Soul based in New York, and Derrick Harriet who he had returned to see suggested Junior Murvin. Co-incidentally Lee Perry also suggested Junior Murvin and that settled the name. He had met Perry years before when Scratch auditioned singer's who wanted to record at Coxsone Dodd's Studio One. Scratch introduced Junior to Coxsone as a singer with potential. Coxsone heard the song and told Junior to learn another verse to his song. Junior never returned and never recorded at Studio One. "I never had the patience to wait at that point" He had come to Kingston to look for a producer for his song and this is how it happened: "It was a vibes y'know - of the producers at that time, only he could manage that heavy hardcore - cause I just get a vision to go to him and that was it. Lee Perry is the greatest producer I ever work with". Together he and Scratch developed 'Police and Thieves' and by its popularity was to prove the cry of the Jamaican People in the strife torn mid 1970's and early 1980's. "He (Perry) always said to me 'bwoy with the tune that you make you nah go dead' True I was young I never realise what him a tell me - true he was older than me - but now me start get bigger me understand"

With success Junior Murvin was in demand, and he went on to record songs with the Mighty Two - Joe Gibbs and the late Errol Thompson - including "Time Stiff", "Right Lick", "Idle Dog Worry Sheep" and the impassioned dancehall favourite on the Real Rock riddim, "Cool Out Son". The song began when the guitarist in one of the touring bands Junior was in, was feeling downhearted after too many rehearsels. junior said to him "patient man ride donkey" *) and the idea for the song just followed - cool out son.

He returned with "Load Shedding" with GG Ranglin in 1978. In the early eighties he made an album with Mikey "Dread At The Controls" Dread called "Bad Man Posse", with the title track asking young men to stay away from bad posses in this turbulent time. He recorded again in the mid-eighties with Henry "Junjo" Lawes, who released the album "Muggers In The Street" and the singles "Strike And Demonstration", "Poison Dart", "Jamaican Girl" and the title track, a recut of "Police And Thieves". Soon after this, in 1986, he began a project with Prince Jammy who was the top producer at the time. The album "Apartheid" was released along with the singles "On The Level" on the Boxing riddim, "Lawman And Gunman" and the heavy "Cool Down The Heat" over the riddim that Nitty Gritty masterfully sang "Run Down The World".

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back