who wudda thunk it? (1 Viewer)

Wedge

Website
Visit site
http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,31500-12302001,00.html

After years of believing fish have no sense of pain, scientists now say they have discovered "trout trauma".

The breakthrough study on rainbow trout claims to have uncovered evidence that fish have feelings, including stress and pain.

The experiments involved increasing temperatures and injecting bee venom into trout lips, which caused some fish to rock back and forth.

Dr Lynne Sneddon, study leader and member of the Animal Welfare Research Consortium, said: "If we touch a hot iron we have a reflex to pull away. This is down to things called nociceptors. For the first time we have discovered fish have them too.

"These do not appear to be reflex responses. This fulfils the full criteria for animal pain."

Animal rights activists have long called for Britain's 3.8 million anglers to stop their "cruel" sport.

The scientists' findings have been welcomed by animal rights organisation PETA, People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, but they said it was unfortunate that fish had to suffer to show something that should have been obvious.

Dawn Carr, director of PETA (Europe), said: "Marine biologists and common sense tell us that if you trick a small animal into impaling his or herself in the mouth, that animal is suffering.

"It is shocking that people will still go fishing for fun. We argue that for every cruel thing people do, there is a compasionate alternative."

Fish biologist and scientific advisor to the National Angling Alliance, Dr Bruno Broughton, said: "I doubt that it will come as much of a shock to anglers to learn that fish have an elaborate system of sensory cells around their mouths.

"Nor is it a surprise that, when their lips are injected with poisons, fish respond and behave abnormally.

"However, it is an entirely different matter to draw conclusions about the ability of fish to feel pain - a psychological experience for which they literally do not have the brains."
-----------------------------------------------------------

i dont know...

i totally misread that as

scientists now say they have discovered "trout fish".

:)

anyway, i won't be coming down off the vegetarian high horse just yet.

Somehow i don't think this will have much impact on people who see nothing wrong with slicing the little buggers up and cooking them.

Originally posted by pete
Somehow i don't think this will have much impact on people who see nothing wrong with slicing the little buggers up and cooking them.

You don't have to be a veggie to be against cruelty to animals, dude ... I see nothing wrong with 'slicing the little buggers up and cooking them', so long as they have happy lives and humane deaths

Originally posted by egg_
You don't have to be a veggie to be against cruelty to animals, dude ... I see nothing wrong with 'slicing the little buggers up and cooking them', so long as they have happy lives and humane deaths

I agree plus I think it's allright to eat an animal that you
would be able to kill with yourself and I have gone fishing with me uncle and eaten it as well.

And I know I could kill a fish although Tuna Fish are big buggers
aren't they?

Originally posted by lorcanzo
here egg.. when was the last time you ate some meat?

Em ... last night. Fillet steak with shallots cooked in wine, accompanied with French bread and mustard, and a salad of lettuce, rocket, tomatoes and Provencal olives (with a balsamic vinegar and olive oil dressing)
This morning I had a slice of toast (from my home-made bread), freshly-squeezed orange juice, a cup of tea and a mushroom omelette
Haven't decided what to have for lunch yet, but it will most likely involve pickled herring

Originally posted by egg_
Em ... last night. Fillet steak with shallots cooked in wine, accompanied with French bread and mustard, and a salad of lettuce, rocket, tomatoes and Provencal olives (with a balsamic vinegar and olive oil dressing)
This morning I had a slice of toast (from my home-made bread), freshly-squeezed orange juice, a cup of tea and a mushroom omelette
Haven't decided what to have for lunch yet, but it will most likely involve pickled herring

you making me sooo hungry :(

and it's not even 11.

Last night, I had a cow, stuffed with a goat, stuffed with a pig, stuffed with a chicken, stuffed with a fish. It was cooked in three gallons of red wine and smeared with lashings of lovely lard.

And this morning I put a live pig into a deep fat fryer and ate it. I humanely put it in head first.

The drinking numbs the chest pains.

Originally posted by sarah
I agree plus I think it's allright to eat an animal that you
would be able to kill with yourself

With your bare hands, like? Or a stick? Does McGuyver get to eat elephants if he can find a chewing-gum wrapper and a half a grapefruit and thereby make a rudimentary taser?

Originally posted by kstop
With your bare hands, like? Or a stick? Does McGuyver get to eat elephants if he can find a chewing-gum wrapper and a half a grapefruit and thereby make a rudimentary taser?

AAahh McGuyver him and Micheal Knight were the coolest
men in my life for a while there.

Originally posted by kstop

No way, dude! It'd take more than, like, a grapefruit taser to take out an elephant! You'd need, like, some kind of, I dunno, like a monster ten grapefruit taser or something. Elephants are BIG, dude, when you try to waste those mothers, you gotta waste them GOOD! And first time too, cos like the last thing you want when you've run out of grapefruit juice is 12 tons of, like, SERIOUSLY PISSED elephant charging down on your ass! Blow that sucker out of the water, man, take him down! Word!

Originally posted by lmd64
No way, dude! It'd take more than, like, a grapefruit taser to take out an elephant!

McGuyver doesn't even need the grapefruit, he could do it with a satsuma or a cutting remark.

i live beside a river with a weir where LOADS of cunts fish all the time. never see them catch anything though. at night i go up and shit some live AIDS into the river, so thats about all they catch. fucking rimholes.
the only meat i eat is sony A & R mens cocks.

any other cunt who eats animals is always going to be a cunt to me. you fucks. listen to crass.

Originally posted by the bearded lady
i live beside a river with a weir where LOADS of cunts fish all the time. never see them catch anything though. at night i go up and shit some live AIDS into the river, so thats about all they catch. fucking rimholes.
the only meat i eat is sony A & R mens cocks.

any other cunt who eats animals is always going to be a cunt to me. you fucks. listen to crass.

bored by vitriol.....

Vitriol, hmmm. Can you get that over the counter, or is it only available on prescription? Also what (if any) are the long-lasting side effects?

well, smartass, no.
its how the police will describe my kicking-your-ass as being full of.

Vitriol, hmmm. Can you get that over the counter, or is it only available on prescription? Also what (if any) are the long-lasting side effects?

You lose your face, but that's more of a raison d'etre than a side-effect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back