When did it all go wrong for Paul McCartney? (1 Viewer)

When did it all go wrong for Paul McCartney

• Total voters
i'd agree with the "Paul is better than john" thing too - lennon was such an irritating fuckhead and all of his solo material was shite. im going to go out on a limb here and suggest that Eleanor Rigby constitutes compelling evidence that something was already amiss with paul at this early stage. had he disappeared into obscurity at this point then this song could be overlooked as a bizzare aberration but we all know how things turned out.

i like mull of kintyre and the frog chorus.

I rate him well above Lennon as the most talented tunesmith in the Beatles

Thirdeded, for the same reasons you put forward.

Bunny, a lot of the Beatles stuff was a load of nonsense while also being amazingly well-crafted and just plain good. M'sSH was a load of shite as well as being a load of nonsense.

Are you sure?

Something, While My Guitar Gently Weeps etc.

Course I'm sure. Three good songs in the cannon with the Beatles (Taxman too) and then All Things Must Pass, when he was finally unshackled from those bullies and came into his own.

Mitchum, I am well aware of what he did and didn't do, and what I'm saying is he was better solo as his ideas were suffocated in the Beatles, in my humble opinion.

Well you seem a bit oblivious to the fact he wrote All Things Must Pass while '...shackled [to] those bullies..the stupid-ass Beatles'.

Sure he was in the shadows of Lennon/McCartney but his solo work doesn't compare with the tunes he wrote as a Beatle.

He's shown moments of Beatle brilliance even as recently as album Chaos & Creation... from about three years ago. 'Jenny Wren' could have sat easily on the White Album and been one of the best tracks. The fact that he could write a song that good thirty years after his prime is an impressive feat.

I think the first proper below-par album was the first Wings album, after Ram.

The frog chorus sorts out the men from the boys in my opinion, if you cant see the genius of this because you're too concerned with its absolute 'uncoolness' then shame.
I much prefer Johns solo stuff to Pauls, but preferred pauls beatles contributions.

Nonsense ha? Their music transended ordinarily 'meaningful' lyrics. The talent that drove them to prolifically create progressive and extraordinary music was the same as that which allowed them to overcome almost all musical self consciousness, it never occured to them to check themselves whilse they were recording, they just let it flow. And ya some nonsense came out, but its friggin fantastic. Paul was self motivated, he drove himself, he would have been decent without the beatles, but at the same time he needed that environment to hold back whatever ego he may have had, which came out in his solo music later. John on the other hand, who knows where he would have been without paul to stir up his competitive nature and drive him on, and thus when paul remained prolific after the split john continued to work hard, but his vision came out in the end as a solo artist, whereas i think paul lost his way a bit.

its a bit of a pointless discussion, is it not, to say lennon was a better songwriter than macca...they were both amazing musicians, who for the time they worked as a unit, wrote probably the best collection of tunes in the 20th Century...they had very different styles (best illustrated on 'a day in the life').

both went on to write some amazing tunes a solo artists but they were never going to be as prolific as the beatles were...i bet you if lennon was alive today (and i'm a huge fan of john lennon's post beatles music) his musical output now would be really, really shit.

and anyway...the best Beatles song (long long, long) was written by Harrison

Well you seem a bit oblivious to the fact he wrote All Things Must Pass while '...shackled [to] those bullies..the stupid-ass Beatles'.

Not oblivious at all. How do you come to that conclusion? That's exactly my point. He had all those songs in his head while the Beatles were recording Let It Be.
But as a music reviewer for the Guardian or whatever it is I guess you're oblivious to the fact that people actually don't need your opinions to have an opinion of their own.

Bunny, a lot of the Beatles stuff was a load of nonsense while also being amazingly well-crafted and just plain good. M'sSH was a load of shite as well as being a load of nonsense.

Yeah, but as well as those things it was also great. Its one of my favourites, along with Bungalow Bill and Rocky Racoon. Pure genius.

I thought everyone reached their songwriting peak at 25 anyway?

Not oblivious at all. How do you come to that conclusion?

1) In your previous post you reckon George Harrison only wrote three good Beatles songs

2) In another previous post you imply he wrote 'All Things Must Pass' after the break-up of The Beatles.

"Course I'm sure. Three good songs in the cannon with the Beatles (Taxman too) and then All Things Must Pass, when he was finally unshackled from those bullies and came into his own."

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back