What's that Devo song... (1 Viewer)

drkdrk

Website
www.myspace.com
Ok don't know if i dreamed it up but is there a devo song that starts with a kind of electro beat and has a voice (possibly Booji boy) saying "This is... Devo"
It's the first Devo song i ever heard and haven't heard it since (which make me think i'going crazy).
Anyone?
D

I didnt want to but in on the Devo gig thread cause you were all having such a good time but can someone please explain the attraction of Devo to me.

I just can't listen to them. I don't think I've ever heard a band with less heart.

That's a tough one, but i think the idea is something to do with fun, satire and, for want of a better word, "alternative" culture/music not taking itself too seriously.
i suppose you could say the music is at times a little clinical but i think it's heart come from the sincerity of the performers. you get the impression from them that they really believe in devo-lution.

Their early stuff doesn't sound a million miles away from early Talking Heads except you're laughing with them rather than at them

Ok don't know if i dreamed it up but is there a devo song that starts with a kind of electro beat and has a voice (possibly Booji boy) saying "This is... Devo"
It's the first Devo song i ever heard and haven't heard it since (which make me think i'going crazy).
Anyone?
D

Are we not men?

laughing at talking heads? me no understand.

Just David Byrne looks so earnest and uptight and then he's singing in that silly high jerky voice. I know he probably, uh, projected that persona purposely but it isn't immediately obvious. On the other hand the absurdity of Devo is usually pretty obvious straight away

Time Out For Fun?

It starts with synths not drums but the opening line is "Hello, this is Devo..."

Anyone?
D

They are impressive technically but I just find them empty and souless. Probably fun live but I could never picture myself sitting down myself to listen to something and pulling out Devo.

Check out "Gut Feeling" from "Are we not men" if you're after instant evidence of feeling or soul or whatever. There's a real sadness and frustration for humanity's plight as a whole throughout their work. One of the main reasons for the existence of DEVO was Gerry Casale's eye-witness exprience of the Kent State massacres in Ohio, 1968. Underlying all their humour is a sense of darkness and the belief that there are no protective, beneficial political systems at work. The ones that are in place are essentially corrupt and popluated by greedy, sadistic maniacs and fronted by idiots like Reagan and Bush. "DE-VOlution" is a kind of sad realisation that many people have strayed too far into the arms of convenience culture and forgotten how to think for themselves, or collectively.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back