What can ya bring in hand luggage on a plane now? (1 Viewer)

The only restrictions are flying between the US and anywhere, and travelling from the UK. Just back from Italy, and it was the same as ever. Cosmetics and stuff were fine, and you can bring food and whatnot. I presume the other European countries are the same.

Flying to and from the US, you're allowed up to three (possibly four) ounces of fluids (e.g., contact lens solution), but no other gels, liquids or creams. Cosmetics count, and assume stuff like lipstick would be considered a cream.

Even if you're flying to the UK, you'll be fine on the way over from Ireland, you'll just have to check it in on the way back.

yep, what jane said!

i had all my cosmetics/vitamins/lighters etc taken from me at glasgow airport recently. i didn't rrrrrreally care too much but i was slightly miffed that the woman at the check-in desk hadn't told me.
that way i could've put all that shit in my check-in luggage, duh.

ho hum.

what about guitar pedals and a small rack unit? a fiddle? i'd say they wouldnt like the bow... i need to bring some pedals to england at the weekend on aer lingus and would rather not check stuff inif i could get away with it

also, with this liquids business... what is the logic behind not letting you on with liquids, shampoo etc if they're loose in your bag but allowing you to take them on if you put them in a transparent plastic ziplock bag??

The transparent bag is so you can't hide the detonator of course, and if you put the liquids in the hold the fuse would probably go out before
reaching your pantene explosives.

It's a nice logical hysteria.

Shane, you remember of course the upside-down guitar smuggling antics of terror in the lowlands, wouldn't get away with that these days...

I'm really not sure how they'll treat the fiddle bow, might be as well arriving early and attempting to talk with a person so you can work out how to handle it.

Shane, you remember of course the upside-down guitar smuggling antics of terror in the lowlands, wouldn't get away with that these days...

i do - i masterminded that plan although they probably would have let him on anyway.

i think i just wont bother bringing the fiddle. i cant play it anyway.

i might bring it - i'd like to but i only have a soft case, if i have to check it in it might not survive. a fuck it, im only being lazy, i dont want to carry loads of shit but if your bringing a cello and a guitar... are you bringing a sleeping bag? i'd have to buy a pick up for the fiddle. i saw one in waltons for €35 but i wasnt convinced it'd work - it had a guitar jack thing and a wire with what looked like a tiny contact mic that you stick into the sound hole. is that the kind you had?

what about guitar pedals and a small rack unit??

the pedals will set off the metal detectors as will any leads yr bringing so they'll want you to show them the pedals and everything....you'll have to unpack and repack em....happened 2 weeks ago to the phantom dog....and to me on the ubs scottish jaunt...

the pedals will set off the metal detectors as will any leads yr bringing so they'll want you to show them the pedals and everything....you'll have to unpack and repack em....happened 2 weeks ago to the phantom dog....and to me on the ubs scottish jaunt...

cool. well i dont mind them knowing i have them i just dont want them to not allow me on with them

i might bring it - i'd like to but i only have a soft case, if i have to check it in it might not survive. a fuck it, im only being lazy, i dont want to carry loads of shit but if your bringing a cello and a guitar... are you bringing a sleeping bag? i'd have to buy a pick up for the fiddle. i saw one in waltons for €35 but i wasnt convinced it'd work - it had a guitar jack thing and a wire with what looked like a tiny contact mic that you stick into the sound hole. is that the kind you had?

I got an awful dodgy pickup in galway for about €20, sounded rough but did the job. It was a cheap-ass piezo though, nothing like what you're describing (physically anyways).

No way in hell I'd put a soft case instrument in the hold: matchsticks! I'm even getting the twice-as-expensive train to oxford rather than bus as I may have to put the soft-cased cello in the bus hold for 5hrs. I'd rather pay for the train even if I have to stand with it all the way.

If you've too much hand luggage then leave the fiddle, not worth it.

actually i've just had a look at it and it is in fact a kinda hard case. i reckon if i wrapped it up in a sleeping bag and put it my rucksack it might be ok... i'll see tomorrow. i really want to bring it now.
I got an awful dodgy pickup in galway for about €20, sounded rough but did the job. It was a cheap-ass piezo though, nothing like what you're describing (physically anyways).

No way in hell I'd put a soft case instrument in the hold: matchsticks! I'm even getting the twice-as-expensive train to oxford rather than bus as I may have to put the soft-cased cello in the bus hold for 5hrs. I'd rather pay for the train even if I have to stand with it all the way.

If you've too much hand luggage then leave the fiddle, not worth it.

Wrapped in a sleeping bag it should be fine, if you can bubble wrap it inside the case to stop knocks then you're double protected.

I'm not bringing a sleeping bag, too much to haul as it is. I can always kip in the cello case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back