Weird spikes to 100% CPU usage (2 Viewers)

Ferox13

Well 'spikes' might be the wrong term as they often go on for 10-15 minutes.

Basically - I'd be surfing on laptop - mayve a few tabs open in firefox and maybe listening to MP3s on Media player and then i get a 100% cpu usage and my machine turns into a slug.

Some times after I reboot the spike is still there. I disabled my Adware at start up which i read might cause it but its still happening. Any ideas?

I'm running XP on a 1.6 centrino with 2gig ram.

Here's the back ground progs running:

sys.gif

Well 'spikes' might be the wrong term as they often go on for 10-15 minutes.

Basically - I'd be surfing on laptop - mayve a few tabs open in firefox and maybe listening to MP3s on Media player and then i get a 100% cpu usage and my machine turns into a slug.

Some times after I reboot the spike is still there. I disabled my Adware at start up which i read might cause it but its still happening. Any ideas?

I'm running XP on a 1.6 centrino with 2gig ram.

Here's the back ground progs running:

sys.gif

for starters run msconfig and disable realsched.exe (real player), jusched.exe (java) & acrotray (acrobat) auto updaters.

I ran this tester thing on my pc and it says I have a "Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.40GHz Model 2, Stepping 4" type of CPU and the speed is 1799 MHz. Does the 1799 MHz have any relation to the 2.4 GHz? Do CPUs decline with age? I have this yoke a while by now.

I notice the plug-in window in reaper has a handy guide to CPU power the plugins are using. With one reverb plugin on a long heavyish reverb it shows around 0.5% while reaper is idle and then goes up to around 30% when one track of audio is run through it. I've got 1.5 gb of ram and I'm thinking of adding more but will I notice any improvement in the plugin counts if its the CPU that matters there? I have a feeling I used to be able to get a bit more welly out of this pc.

I ran a memory tester thing which told me this:

Maximum Memory Capacity: 2097152 MB
Currently Installed Memory: 1536 MB
Available Memory Slots: N.A.
Total Memory Slots: 2
Dual Channel Support: N.A.
CPU Manufacturer: GenuineIntel
CPU Family: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.40GHz Model 2, Stepping 4
CPU Speed: 1799 MHz

and the ram is 1024MB of DDR PC2700 + 512MB of DDR PC2700. Would upgrading to 2GB of PC3200 do me much good? It seems to get 2GB i have to get two 1GB ram things and I have only the two slots so cant go higher. Does anyone understand this stuff?

That looks like your CPU is running at the wrong speed. I'm no expert but this might be set up wrong in your bios..

I also think you can get 2gig sticks of DDR PC2700..

CPU definitely looks underclocked. Could be a power saving utility, or it could be bios settings.

2gb seems like a very low physical limit. Run speccy on it, get your motherboard details and check online.

if your CPU settings are set to default in the bios then it should just work properly. would anyone have made changes?

but start with the software side of things - i've an ASUS motherboard & it comes with a utility that dynamically limits your CPU speed to save power / noise / heat. Make sure you've nothing like that running.

old age might slow down your OS (or certainly make it feel slow in relation to other machines) but is unlikely to affect reported CPU speed

I used to notice firefox acting up alright, I've ditched it in favour of chrome now. FF feels very dowdy and clunky once you get used to the stylishness of chrome.

Anyway, turns out 2gb of RAM is the maximum for the motherboard I have so that'll have to do me, I have the manual and it says it there. I went into the BIOS and it said CPU Internal Freq was 1.80GHz and the CPU Operating speed was 800(100). After a bit of googling I increased this last yoke to 2400(133) - it goes up to 3200(133) - and now the CPU Internal Freq says 2.40GHz and the CPU Speed is 2402 MHz instead of the 1799 MHz it was at.

Does that sound like a reasonable thing to do?

CPU THRM THROTTLING is at 62.5% - would upping that to 75% be sensible?

Thanks Thumped!

I used to notice firefox acting up alright, I've ditched it in favour of chrome now. FF feels very dowdy and clunky once you get used to the stylishness of chrome.

Anyway, turns out 2gb of RAM is the maximum for the motherboard I have so that'll have to do me, I have the manual and it says it there. I went into the BIOS and it said CPU Internal Freq was 1.80GHz and the CPU Operating speed was 800(100). After a bit of googling I increased this last yoke to 2400(133) - it goes up to 3200(133) - and now the CPU Internal Freq says 2.40GHz and the CPU Speed is 2402 MHz instead of the 1799 MHz it was at.

Does that sound like a reasonable thing to do?

CPU THRM THROTTLING is at 62.5% - would upping that to 75% be sensible?

Thanks Thumped!

CPU THRM THROTTLING tells the BIOS how much of a speed limit to apply to your CPU if it's overheating, but 1.8Ghz isn't 62.5% of 2.4Ghz. Is your CPU overheating?

Have you tried setting the CPU FSB & multiplier (or whatever the applicable settings are) to auto? Seems odd they're not defaulting to the CPU's native settings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back