Website (4 Viewers)

Ok, its not the worst scene in the world in my opinion. We can all think of places that absolutely suck compared to Dublin.

However, dance killed off the Dublin live scene and its been very very hard for live music to make any sort of comeback. Promoters, musicians and venues have tried time and time again to get the gigs going "like they used to be". But its a major uphill battle. Thats what pisses me/us off.

We'd like to see more people going out and instead of doing the usual nightclub rubbish every weekend trying out bands (I'm not putting this point across to say: everyone should come and see us).

Anyway, in summary the scene isn't too bad but we miss what it was.

Hey James, I like the look of your bands site. The one thing i really like about it is it doesn't look like a bands site. When i opened it i thought it was some sort of news letter.
I haven't heard the tunes yet though. A site means NOTHING without the tunes to back it up.

Cheers krabby,

There's a link to download TouchWood in the audio section. Its a zip file to download quicker. Its one of our more mellow songs, call it eazy listening

Originally posted by james_m
Ok, its not the worst scene in the world in my opinion. We can all think of places that absolutely suck compared to Dublin.

However, dance killed off the Dublin live scene and its been very very hard for live music to make any sort of comeback. Promoters, musicians and venues have tried time and time again to get the gigs going "like they used to be". But its a major uphill battle. Thats what pisses me/us off.

We'd like to see more people going out and instead of doing the usual nightclub rubbish every weekend trying out bands (I'm not putting this point across to say: everyone should come and see us).

Anyway, in summary the scene isn't too bad but we miss what it was.

's a fair point - there aren't enough people going to gigs. i'm not having a dig at you but personally i'd say the scene is healthy due to the quality of the music. but it would be great if the done thing socially was to go check out a band of night-out instead of going to q-bar/fireworks/sosume etc.
i've persudaded a few mates to come to the odd gig and they always get restless 'cos of the typical standing around/chin stroking attitude of the regular gig-goers (myself included). i think more people would go to smaller gigs if there was more 'atmosphere'. One lad i know came to wonky2 and couldn't believe people were standing stock still during the more lively stuff like Uptown Racquet Club.

i agree it'd be great if more people went to gigs (thus disrupting our self-celebrating insularity (tm)) - i'm just dubious that there was some mystical era of "like it used to be" when everyone went to see live music all the time.

Originally posted by conor
personally i'd say the scene is healthy due to the quality of the music.

Yep. Absolutely. There are some great bands knocking around and it pains me to thinks that a lot of them will never get the attention they deserve. Of course there is plenty of shit aswell but you take the rough with the smooth.

However, Why is it that that around the country people are more likely to go to gigs than in Dublin. Its easier to fill a venue in Cork, Limerick, Wexferd etc etc than here. Has this place gone too far up its own arse? ok more competition. But there really are only a handful of good live venues and a LOT of people hitting the city every night.

I'm not trying to be cliché on the "like it used to be" but I think its true

Originally posted by minka
i agree it'd be great if more people went to gigs (thus disrupting our self-celebrating insularity (tm)) - i'm just dubious that there was some mystical era of "like it used to be" when everyone went to see live music all the time.

silo he say damn right, minka.

plus, it's pretty narrowminded to "blame" "dance music" for some kind of "killing off" of "live" music. so many ludicrous assumptions in that statement to start with that... well, that i don't think i'm even gonna say anything else.

as for the site, it's nice enough, but i think you should get rid of the dropshadow effect on the top bar and make your images fit the spaces they're put into. maybe.

oh, and the picture in the "profile" section is back to front. either that or you're all left-handed.

Originally posted by silo
oh, and the picture in the "profile" section is back to front. either that or you're all left-handed.

Bloody know all

Ah no thanks. 'preciate the feedback and for the record you're right we are indeed right handed

Originally posted by conor
's a fair point - there aren't enough people going to gigs. i'm not having a dig at you but personally i'd say the scene is healthy due to the quality of the music. but it would be great if the done thing socially was to go check out a band of night-out instead of going to q-bar/fireworks/sosume etc.
i've persudaded a few mates to come to the odd gig and they always get restless 'cos of the typical standing around/chin stroking attitude of the regular gig-goers (myself included). i think more people would go to smaller gigs if there was more 'atmosphere'. One lad i know came to wonky2 and couldn't believe people were standing stock still during the more lively stuff like Uptown Racquet Club.

Thats the whole problem with the Dublin live music scene. It will never compete with trendy bars or clubs until the music becomes more lively. ALOT MORE LIVELY. There's some great musicians out there, true. But alot of them play depressing, dark, emotional, mopey music. People don't want to hear that on a Fri/Saturday night. They wanna 'Party' and go mental on booze etc. They WANT to dance but it just ain't happening alot of the time is it? Honestly. There's nothing wrong with playing lively, or upbeat music, even if it was angry as fuk music, but it seems not to be the 'in vogue' thing in Dublin at the moment. Maybe things will change? Slowly though.

It's soooo bleedin obvious why the Dublin scene isn't ROCKIN, there's a time and a place for certain types of music to be played.

Originally posted by Speed Racer
Thats the whole problem with the Dublin live music scene. It will never compete with trendy bars or clubs until the music becomes more lively. ALOT MORE LIVELY. There's some great musicians out there, true. But alot of them play depressing, dark, emotional, mopey music. People don't want to hear that on a Fri/Saturday night. They wanna 'Party' and go mental on booze etc. They WANT to dance but it just ain't happening alot of the time is it? Honestly. There's nothing wrong with playing lively, or upbeat music, even if it was angry as fuk music, but it seems not to be the 'in vogue' thing in Dublin at the moment. Maybe things will change? Slowly though.

It's soooo bleedin obvious why the Dublin scene isn't ROCKIN, there's a time and a place for certain types of music to be played.

dude. i hear you.

roll on the liffeybeat revival, so.

Originally posted by silo
plus, it's pretty narrowminded to "blame" "dance music" for some kind of "killing off" of "live" music. so many ludicrous assumptions in that statement to start with that... well, that i don't think i'm even gonna say anything else.

there was a thing where pub owners went..

"I'm paying five guys to play music in my pub, they come here and bash around all afternoon doing noisy things like sound checking, and take up a lot of room where I could have punters and then sometimes they're crap and nobody has a good time.. hang on heres a DJ I pay one bloke to play records punters know and like and he just needs a teeny little box!!... huzzah get me a DJ"

so lots more DJ pubs, less band pubs

I don't know maybe that was in my head, and its not 'dance' musics fault and it didn't 'kill' anything but you know... it was a factor there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back