Websense (2 Viewers)

e+s=b

Hi all

In work I've been banned by Websense from browsing some sites (record shops, thumped etc).

2 questions;

1-Whos blocked these sites? My manager or Websense?

2-Is there any way around it without detection?

Thanks,
Sneaky McWeb

Hi all

In work I've been banned by Websense from browsing some sites (record shops, thumped etc).

2 questions;

1-Whos blocked these sites? My manager or Websense?

2-Is there any way around it without detection?

Thanks,
Sneaky McWeb

1. Websense employees manually assign a category to previously uncategorised websites submitted to them (automatically by their software as end users request them). Categories are things like Gambling, Adult, Sports, News & Media, Internet Communication, Message Boards & Forums and stuff like that. They compile a database of sites & categories which is automatically downloaded by your company's Websense server.

Your HR people then decide what categories of sites staff in different areas need to be able to access and create & assign access policies accordingly.

2. Yes - sort of, but your IT people will still have logs of everything you get up to*, even if it's getting by Websense.

* there's a way around this but it'd almost certainly be totally in breach of your company's AUP (even more so than "just" bypassing Websense). Anyway to do it you need fairly relaxed corporate firewall policies.

make friends with yer IT people and get them to chuck you into unrestricted list in websense, failing that use a cgi proxy. if you have a webhost you could try using the automatic installer to get it up and running. i just did it there on my cheapo dreamhost a/c and it took about 60 seconds. Have a go of this http://hotsupoftae.com/cgiproxy/nph-proxy.pl Using something like this might not be allowed by the webhost but if yer just using it to look at webpages (and not download huge files) and no one else knows the proxy url, you should be fine.

The main difficulty with circumvention of Websense via proxies is that it still logs your activity.

Do enough browsing and you'll still show up on the user activity lists... and then come the hard questions.

What about this idea(from tech-faq.com)?

Bypassing Websense using HTTP Tunneling

You can also bypass Websense by using HTTP Tunneling. HTTP Tunneling programs work well to bypass Websense. Most programs also come with options, which help you to destroy the history of your Internet and Widows activity. What this means is that you can ensure comfort and security of your online activities and can spoof your web browser information, which helps to thwart hacking missions. One can download HTTP Tunneling software programs from the Internet quite easily and inexpensively.

HTTP tunnelling is fairly extreme, you'll be breaking any agreements you've made about your web policy. If your IT have any sense they'll see SSH traffic suddenly happening when realistically there should be none..

thumped was banned from my old work too, but i just used a new thumped address every month, nearly ran out of addresses, just as well i quit.

Just watched chinatown again, fucking love that film!!

yep sorry, bit extra dim today, i blame the blow to the head i got this morning.

HTTP tunnelling is fairly extreme, you'll be breaking any agreements you've made about your web policy. If your IT have any sense they'll see SSH traffic suddenly happening when realistically there should be none..

if they've any sense you won't have SSH access unless you've a very good reason for needing it.

Just do your job instead of wasting your time looking at crap like this s(h)ite.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back