Want to write a tearjerker? It's all about the appoggiatura. (1 Viewer)

pete

chronic procrastinator
Staff member
Since 1999
Solutions
Website
thumped.com
RV-AF961A_ADELE_G_20120210234610.jpg

What explains the magic of Adele's song? Though personal experience and culture play into individual reactions, researchers have found that certain features of music are consistently associated with producing strong emotions in listeners. Combined with heartfelt lyrics and a powerhouse voice, these structures can send reward signals to our brains that rival any other pleasure.

Twenty years ago, the British psychologist John Sloboda conducted a simple experiment. He asked music lovers to identify passages of songs that reliably set off a physical reaction, such as tears or goose bumps. Participants identified 20 tear-triggering passages, and when Dr. Sloboda analyzed their properties, a trend emerged: 18 contained a musical device called an "appoggiatura."

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970203646004577213010291701378.html

its nothing to do with adeles songs sounding like a someone whos had an awful night at a nightlclub giving out to her gay mates about men at 5am over a bottle of white wine or anything.

120 million youtube hits.

Shes doing something right.That much we can agree on.

There was some best of yoke on BBC4 that I watched one night ending in a Jools Holland performance of the above song - First & only time I've heard it - It was an incredible performance & she sung her little soul out - I was blown away, funnily, I have no intention of ever seeking out the song and listening to it again - It was a one time deal

I can wholly empathise with not wishing to hear her again Santino old bean,but for anyway to state the woman is anything less than an ASTOUNDING talent is churlishness of the highest order.

I was relying to heavily on twitter for the info about her retiring for a while. seems what she really said is that she wants more time to spend making the next record, which is a lot different to the '5 year hiatus' thing i heard first.

I just hope that she keeps her shit together and dosent buy into the whole rock n roll bullshit.

That shit is getting on my tits these days.

Whats all that about?

I see George in the background...HERO!

We regret this happened & we send deepest apologies to Adele that her big moment was cut short tonight due to the live show over-running… Brit Awards Twitter

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back