Wales (with Forests please) (1 Viewer)

Rogue

Website
Visit site
Ho!

My friend wants to go to wales and commune with the old growth forests but is having real trouble trying to find a hostel.

She's looking in the brecon beacon area or hay on wye area but the real problem is that nowhere seems to take credit card (she's canadian so that's her mode of payage). The places online are generally either not open or take groups only. She's going to be there about a week.

Her train to cardiff is on thursday and she's going to have to stay there for a night by the looks of things. Anyone have any idea of places she could stay in brecon that's not on the interweb?

Ho!

My friend wants to go to wales and commune with the old growth forests but is having real trouble trying to find a hostel.

She's looking in the brecon beacon area or hay on wye area but the real problem is that nowhere seems to take credit card (she's canadian so that's her mode of payage). The places online are generally either not open or take groups only. She's going to be there about a week.

Her train to cardiff is on thursday and she's going to have to stay there for a night by the looks of things. Anyone have any idea of places she could stay in brecon that's not on the interweb?

I'll get back to ya. Broken Arm will have some places to I'd imagine.

why can't she use cash?

this place takes individuals - http://www.trericket.co.uk/bunkhouse.html

mind you it's 9 miles from hay-on-wye but if she's into the walking....

tmmap7.gif

Cash shortage. Also, taking cash advance from credit card will screw her royally as well so that's not an option.

Cheers for the link but again, no credit carts.

I suppose we we're hoping someone might know of one that's not on the map/interweb, playing on the whole local knowledge.

Thanks Arm (if I can be so familiar).

She's getting a train to cardiff (from huddersfield) on thursday then she's on public transport. Money, again, is an issue.

Oddly, the place you suggested she had checked with already: the owners are on holiday and the staffmember in charge is off sick so they can't even tell what booking details they have until they get back, on thursday...
But no credit cards so it's a moot point.

Do you know of any decent old growth forests anywhere else near cardiff that she could try?

Do you know of any decent old growth forests anywhere else near cardiff that she could try?

mmmmm. not sure. again I'll ask.

she could try serching through this.

http://www.forestry.gov.uk/website/recreation.nsf/$$SearchLocation?Openform&PS=(FIELD+Form+Contains+AccessPoint+or+FIELD+Form+contains+Forest+or+FIELD+Form+contains+Wood)&NT=cardiff&c=wales

is she a pagan? seriously.

if she can get up to brecon/hay-on-wye/capel-y-fin area it'll be worth it. Not a huge amount of forestry around there that I know of

Yeah she is, an earth worshipping kind of gal.

We checked that forestry site alright, some good stuff but she settled on the brecon stuff. Thought the Pembrokeshire national park was a go-er but too hard to get to and very short on hostels.

Don't suppose North Wales is any good to her?

Any Old Growth Forests up there with pagan overtones and cheap vegetarian hostels (with parlour guitars...)?

She's locked into arriving in Cardiff on thursday so a trip Bangor-ways would probably be too expensive. Cheers though.

Any Old Growth Forests up there with pagan overtones and cheap vegetarian hostels (with parlour guitars...)?

She's locked into arriving in Cardiff on thursday so a trip Bangor-ways would probably be too expensive. Cheers though.

The boys I live with are no good but I'll ask around in college tomorrow. Hopefully I'll bump into some of the pagan hippies who should be able to help.

There's a few old growth forests around about an hour from here but I'd need to ask around for the pagan overtones. I could probably offer my gaff if she's really stuck but alas it's in Bangor we're mostly veggie(all main meals are anyway).

Panic over. After 3 days of searching for hostels in Wales she's given up and is heading to Dorset instead :rolleyes:

Thanks for your helps anyhoo chaps.

Panic over. After 3 days of searching for hostels in Wales she's given up and is heading to Dorset instead :rolleyes:

Thanks for your helps anyhoo chaps.

she could make her way up to Totnes. there loads of pagans around there..

just for general interest, we used to go to Bethesda, out in Snowdonia in the winter to try and get some winter mountaineering in a fair bit. There was this hostel place, that was always completely empty apart from us, in which we would stay. I am fairly sure we paid by credit card, we paid the Scout Association of Wales, who owned it. We might have rented the entire place, but even then it was pretty reasonable. We would get a group together handily enough and jump on the ferry.

Quite a cushy place by our standards. Ie not unused pig sheds. Hot showers, local pubs, very civilised.

I dunno if there are old growth forests in Snowdonia. I would think there might be though.
Yer man out of the Super Furries is from Bethesda. I believe.

Ah. There it is.
http://www.glswscouts.org.uk/bethesda/yhn_index.htm

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back