veggie sushi (1 Viewer)

carbide

gimme your secrets.

i can't seem to get enough of it, partly because i made aya's veggie box my default treat before every all-nighter at college this semester. i've been making it a lot but i'm stuck in a bit of a rut.

i'm using peppers, smoked tofu, avocado and cucumber, all in nori rolls. trying avocado with cream cheese (oh crazy crazy internet!) is next on my list.

what do you use? and what is the tasty crispy yellow (probably pickled) thing in aya and where can i get it by the crateload?

gimme your secrets.

i can't seem to get enough of it, partly because i made aya's veggie box my default treat before every all-nighter at college this semester. i've been making it a lot but i'm stuck in a bit of a rut.

i'm using peppers, smoked tofu, avocado and cucumber, all in nori rolls. trying avocado with cream cheese (oh crazy crazy internet!) is next on my list.

what do you use? and what is the tasty crispy yellow (probably pickled) thing in aya and where can i get it by the crateload?

I am pretty sure Aya put eggs on their rolls sometimes. Try cooking an egg or two in the same manner you would cook an omelette and then slice it and add to the rolls. I also think they sweeten their eggs but you may not be up for that.

I am pretty sure Aya put eggs on their rolls sometimes. Try cooking an egg or two in the same manner you would cook an omelette and then slice it and add to the rolls. I also think they sweeten their eggs but you may not be up for that.

you know, i think what i've been assuming was tofu in their rolls is actually egg. nice one, my tastebuds never spotted that.

current best guess for yellow thing is pickled radish but i think it's fruitier. maybe i should ask...

you know, i think what i've been assuming was tofu in their rolls is actually egg. nice one, my tastebuds never spotted that.

current best guess for yellow thing is pickled radish but i think it's fruitier. maybe i should ask...

I thought it was just peeled yellow pepper that may have been lightly roasted? I'm not sure. Always assumed it was as they have red peppers on them too.

if it's the yellow thing i'm thinking of, it is indeed pickled radish. i suspect you might be able to get it in the asia market, i have been thinking of investigating japanese pickle availability there myself. i may have become a tad obsessed with them when in japan (where you get them with almost every meal, aaaaaah lovely lovely pickles).

not exactly sushi, but one thing i really liked as a super cheap snack in japan was rice balls with pickled plum/umeboshi - you get them in the equivalent of spar. they're basically seasoned sushi rice squished around mashed up umeboshi and wrapped in seaweed. i bet you could make them yourself (or i could! now, there's a thought), and they'd deliver a tasty veggie pickley hit. asia market definitely have umeboshi, i've got them there before.

Is it tough to make. My sister gave me some Nori and the rice. I'm dying to give it a try.

The Korean place on Parnell st put egg in theirs and they ar pretty good.

if it's the yellow thing i'm thinking of, it is indeed pickled radish. i suspect you might be able to get it in the asia market, i have been thinking of investigating japanese pickle availability there myself. i may have become a tad obsessed with them when in japan (where you get them with almost every meal, aaaaaah lovely lovely pickles).

not exactly sushi, but one thing i really liked as a super cheap snack in japan was rice balls with pickled plum/umeboshi - you get them in the equivalent of spar. they're basically seasoned sushi rice squished around mashed up umeboshi and wrapped in seaweed. i bet you could make them yourself (or i could! now, there's a thought), and they'd deliver a tasty veggie pickley hit. asia market definitely have umeboshi, i've got them there before.

brilliant, i will seek out the mighty radish.

you can get rice balls in the oriental emporium freezer section but they're filled with stuff like red bean paste - you've probably seen them, and they're totally not pickley. those ones sound much nicer. i need to go and eat japan- sorry, visit japan.

Try sweet potato....it the only veggie sushi I like.

nice one, i will definitely try this. it must be roasted or something first though, right? aren't they poisonous raw?

Is it tough to make. My sister gave me some Nori and the rice. I'm dying to give it a try.

not at all, it's really easy. just don't overload the nori with filling and try to keep the pieces of vegetable/pickle/whatever slim and uniform so that it doesn't bulge. i've started doing it beside the sink and leaving the cold tap running a little to rinse my hands a lot, because i tend to fill and roll by hand and the stickiness from the rice builds up really fast.

Feta , Sundried Tomato and Avocada.

attachment.php

Cumin infused tofu with roast cherry chutney.

attachment.php

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back