us/pakistan war on terror (1 Viewer)

Solutions
Musharraf: US threatened to bomb Pakistan after 9/11
22/09/2006 - 00:06:28

President Pervez Musharraf of Pakistan says the United States threatened to bomb his country back to the Stone Age after the September 11 attacks if he did not help America’s war on terror.

Musharraf says the threat was delivered by Richard Armitage, then the deputy secretary of state, to Musharraf’s intelligence director, the Pakistani leader told CBS-TV’s 60 Minutes.

“The intelligence director told me that (Armitage) said, ’Be prepared to be bombed. Be prepared to go back to the Stone Age’,” Musharraf said in the interview to be shown on Sunday on the CBS television network in the US.

It was insulting, Musharraf said. “I think it was a very rude remark,” he told reporter Steve Kroft.

But, Musharraf said he reacted responsibly. “One has to think and take actions in the interests of the nation and that is what I did,” he said.

According to 60 Minutes, Armitage disputed the language attributed to him but did not deny the message was a strong one.

The former deputy secretary of state could not be reached immediately at his home or his office.

Julie Reside, a State Department spokeswoman, declined to comment on the reported conversation between Armitage and a Pakistani official.

“We are referring all questions to Mr Armitage,” she said.

Pakistan has been a close ally in the war on terrorism for years, Reside said. “We are continuing to work cooperatively with them and in the process are broadening our bilateral relationship,” she said.

In a speech in January 2002, four months after the attacks on the World Trade Center and the Pentagon, Musharraf clearly came down on the side of reform at home and opposition to Islamic fundamentalism.

Pakistan to this day is considered a close ally of the US in the struggle with militant groups. Sometimes, however, Pakistan appears reluctant to go after the Taliban, which controlled neighbouring Afghanistan until 2001 and has intensified its insurgency in the southern part of the country in recent months.

He is scheduled to meet President George Bush at the White House tomorrow and then see Bush again next week in a three-way meeting with President Hamid Karzai of Afghanistan.

Musharraf told 60 Minutes Armitage’s message was delivered with demands that he turn over Pakistan’s border posts and bases for the US military to use in the war against the Taliban in Afghanistan. Some were “ludicrous”, such as a demand he suppress domestic expression of support for terrorism against the United States.

“If somebody is expressing views, we cannot curb the expression of views,” Musharraf said.

well they did say your either with us or against us....
particularly liked the part where they were told to `suppress domestic expression of support for terrorism against the u.s. The worlds `foremost democracy` giving this sort of order to a dictatorship and being told to shove it,what a world.​

typical crap.

but I think he is only saying this now to help quell domestic tension over his relationship with the US

possibly,cant see him lasting much longer either to tell the truth,hes walking a fine line between pleasing america and the muslims (fundamentalist or not) in pakistan.

by the way, I mean typical crap from Richard Armitage

typical crap.

but I think he is only saying this now to help quell domestic tension over his relationship with the US
Ya but that's pretty obvious, I mean he has had numerous attempts on his life and is despised at home.
He was in a quandry either way but now that Bush is near the end of his term and is very much tainted is when he should loosen his ties with the white house.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back