Uploading minidiscs onto your computer... (1 Viewer)

sweetoblivion

Live from her fairytale world of clouds and pixies
Recording minidiscs onto your computer...

what sort of USB lead do I need to RECORD (thanks Neilo.....) stuff from my minidisc player onto my laptop?
I don't have any of the original leads I got with it and the machine is about 5 years old. Is there a standard lead or does it depend on manufacturer etc? And will I need to download a programme to do this?
Sorry for the stupid questions...Thanks .|..|

its not a digital connection, theres no recognising to be done:)

its just like plugging a microphone/guitar in and recording it

you'll need some sort of recording program like soundforge or audacity or something to record in to

I think I know what sweeto is talking about.
Didn't the last generation of Minidisc recorders (just before the proliferation of MP3 players) have a software interface operated from your computer to add and remove stuff from a disc via USB? I think it was called Hi-MD.
It did audio and data storage too. The computer was able to read a disc like a mass storage device.

What make / model of minidisc are you talking about? There's likely still a manual online somewhere. There could be an easier way than the old mini-jack to mini-jack.

I think I know what sweeto is talking about.
Didn't the last generation of Minidisc recorders (just before the proliferation of MP3 players) have a software interface operated from your computer to add and remove stuff from a disc via USB? I think it was called Hi-MD.
It did audio and data storage too. The computer was able to read a disc like a mass storage device.

What make / model of minidisc are you talking about? There's likely still a manual online somewhere. There could be an easier way than the old mini-jack to mini-jack.
yeah but it has to be a HiMD unit, and a HiMD recording onto a (obviously) a HiMD disc. and if ye cant find the shitty software, Sony charge ye a left boob for another copy.
coz theyre dicks.

my MD player has a USB port, but I'm fairly sure it was only for putting on to the MD, not off it as this would encourage musical priacy. Seriously sony were demented about this with their MDs, half the manual is what you can and can't record with it

as ernesto said you need the rubbish sony software and it took about as long as recording to getting on there anyhow

edit: mine wasn't HiMD, just bog standard MD... the USB was to try and get some of that sweet MP3 action that was going on around the time I bought it. In defence of the MD the thing is a total work horse

if you could get one cheap, yeah. The one I have has a good adjustable pre-amp and a limiter and you can record uncompressed to it too. I have some gigs I did off the sound desk and they sound fine. All this and its only about the size of a box of smokes

but it is dead technology and for Field recording they couldn't compare with that Zoom fella that looks like a Star Trek phaser

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back