uh-oh. st patrick's day.. (1 Viewer)

pete said:
2004 St Patrick's Day Parade, New York:

That's a lot of ignorance for one piece of cloth, ain' it? I don't know what to say. Those are not my fucking people, okay?

But if you really want to go for it with gusto, you need that internet, and the Irish-American RA, who cannot fathom how anyone could accuse Sinn Fein of being in any way related to the IRA, and how horrible an accusation that is. See, they're all shinners, but then...wait....Oh fuck, I'm confused:

http://www.livejournal.com/community/_i_r_a_bitches/

Anyway, here's a real shiny gem that brings a tear to my right bap:

to know that somewhere down the line, your ancestors worshiped the trees in the forests and prayed to them, and they respected Ireland they loved it, same as i do now. this is where i come from, where my ancestors have come from, my family going back to the begining of time lived there, defended that country and that land, prayed in the forests. look out on a feild and know that thousands of years ago your family looked out on that same field and felt that same feeling, like your in love with the land, something about it.
to know that in 1916 your great-grandfather died while freeing Ireland, so that his kids and grandkids would be Irishmen and Irishwomen, not British citizens its crying when you hear those flute and bagpipe songs because the music has been engraned in your DNA for a thousand years, its a part of you. to know that your not alone at all, that your part of this group of people who are so sad, and that have suffered so much, and been hurt so much, but for some reason just wont give up. to know that your part of this great people that have survived so much and to know that the bays and docks that you look at once took food away from starving people at gunpoint in what is now referred to as The Irish Holocaust instead of The Great Famine. im a part of that, the druid priests, the saints of the early church, the victims, the farmers, the working men, thats all a part of me. and its like im in love with Ireland, the culture, MY culture, everything.

its crying when you hear those flute and bagpipe songs because the music has been engraned in your DNA for a thousand years

See, the problem with y'all Irish folks is that y'all are too dang fulla flutes, all shoved up in there inside the Dee Enn Aaaay. Ah seen a big ol' heavin' bagpipe in wun dude, I'll tell you what. It done make some racket!

Y'all got all deez 'mericans just a-beggin' ta feel y'all's pain.

Oops! Make that both baps! Wa-hey!

spiritualtramp said:
Dear lord.

Y'know, I know it sounds crazy and all, Trampy, but it's true. I didn't believe it either, all that malarkey about England being in Ireland. But then, just last week, wasn't I down in Westmeath, and didn't I potter into a pub to have a dribble, and who did I see slumped in the corner, snoring, half-gee-eyed, half-asleep, behind a copy of the Indo? I poked him a little to get his attention, but he just coughed up a Scilly Isle and leaned into the wall. England. Right there in Westmeath, near enough to the aul Hill of Uisneach to be called smack dab in the middle of Ireland.

This is actually an extremely accurate representation of every St.Patrick's day in Belfast:

_1752949_catholic150ap.jpg

jane said:
reptastic!! what a link!

"Much of your food is boiled." :) pretty accurate..

"I'm only about 45% Irish, but fiercely proud of it." :confused:

"I'm also big on Irish rebel songs, and play the tinwhistle, flute, and bodhran. The joy." oh the JOY!!! :D

anyone wanna buy an oirish passport? ;)

I'll be giving the Talbot Hurdle (complete with "water" jumps) a miss this year in favour of holiday clothes shopping and B&Q.

Rappah.

I wonder will betfair take a punt on over/under 2.5 stabbings in Dublin?

jane said:

So many wonderful quotes on this

"and im a republican because i love Ireland and feel passionatly about Irelands right to not have a government that aided in the starving of nearly 5 million of its people occupying it. and everyone replys to that with "but the jewish people dont hate germany still" to which i say "the germans arent occupying israel, besides different situation, the nazis arent in power anymore"

I don't understand - does this mean I should hate British people?

"My name is bridgett Kinloch. I come from Belfast where I work for Sinn Fein. Worked there for eight years now. I love my job! I love my country! I love being a member of the IRA. Don't let the political wing shite fool ya to much and I WANT BRITS OUT!
I've got a gun! OUT BRITS!!!"

As though members of the 'Ra are going to post their name and the fact that they have a gun on the internet.

Posts like these make me want to go to Orange parades and wave union jacks just to piss these stupid fuckers off.

Check out yer man's own Livejournal. I wish I'd made it up because then I'd be the funniest person ever. "If you're looking for me on St Patrick's Day, I'll be keening for the ghost of Bobby Sands, dripping lonely tears into my all-you-can-eat Buffalo wings."

rough day.
rough week.
glad st. patricks day is thursday.
ill be at bennigans all day. come out and meet me if you want.
always good to have Irish company on St.Patricks day. be forewarned though, its kind of like a day of mourning for us. we get very emotional about the state of things in Ireland and we get very proud of our heros. so i may be in tears by the end of the night.

Long live the men and women of the Rebellion of 1916.
God save Ireland.

muertos vivientes! said:

Blessus.

Friend of mine was in san diego summer before last and a local guy was talking to her about Ireland. So, trying to get on her good side and show his awareness of foreign affairs, he says "yeah I mean I really support the IRA and what they're trying to do". She says "eh..yeah..no..see the IRA are terrorists so no I don't really support them...". He says "but they're tryign to get you guys free!!". SHe points to herself, leans in and says "Em, I am free."

stars-5-0.gif
Bizarre Yet Beautiful!, February 15, 2002
Reviewer:Matt Davis (Wichita, KS United States) - See all my reviewsThe Cocteau Twins are one of the most underappreciated acts of all time. They succeeded in creating a very distinctive and innovative sound that makes much of what is labeled "alternative" music seem like Top 40. What I find most fascinating about this band is that while on the surface their work is very avant-garde, after closer investigation one finds that it has very strong Scottish national roots to it, just as much as a band like U2 (who are considered "alternative") has a very distinctive "Irish" sound. Though I do not currently have any other of the band's albums, I am certain that this compilation is a superb introduction. There is quite a bit of material here, and while it is not all equally superb, none of it is bad. "Aikea Guinea" has to be the most beautiful tune ever composed in the alternative music genre. Other great tracks are "Pearly Dewdrops-drops," "Lazy Calm," "Carolyn's Fingers," "Iceblink Luck", and plenty more! This is music that is to be EXPERIENCED, not something you sing along to. Yet how memorable it all is...

Was this review helpful to you?
yes.gif
no.gif
(Report this)

spiritualtramp said:
I hate paddys day.

The only thing I like about it is watching RTE news showing footage of the really pathetic parades from places in the country featuring a tractor with green crepe paper on it and a few junior gaa players walking alongside.

agreed. only good thing about today is its a day off work

I was walking through town last night and it didn't seem that bad.This was at 8pm though. The atmosphere was certainly not as nasty as last year and I only saw a few ambulances.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back