Too much music? (1 Viewer)

I generally only write off albums after a few listens but sometimes there's stuff that lasts one listen and that's it unless someone I makes a very good argument to listen to them again. However those few listens could take up to a year to get through. I like having albums I'm not overly familiar with on my ipod for rainy day situations when I get properly acquainted with them rather than just having them as background music and never sitting down and giving them a proper listen.

and I wait to see if Scutter, Jill Hives and at least one other person like it, at which point I write it off.

Conversely, if Shneaky likes it I know it's probably deadly

Your mathematics fairly killed off that discussion.

I pretty much only listen to full albums from start to finish, whether they're mp3s, cds, records or whatever. The exception is if i dont really have time and then i might stick on a few random mp3s.

yup me too. not really a big fan of random songs one after the other unless i'm in a disco or something.

If I is John likes it I know it has as least one casio drumbeat, a sax solo, and lots of lycra in the video.

and something tropical

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

i think one of the reasons for vinyl doing quite well at the moment is that on some subconcious level people don't like the choice that ipods and mp3 give them. vinyl kinda forces you to give an album a chance. i used to listen to music a lot in work, but i don't so much now. it depends on how busy i am, but cycling to and from work its generally podcasts or newstalk, never music. i generally find my decisions on albums are made at home whne its on and i'm pottering about doing other stuff.

I pretty much only listen to music via headphones So tapes are the way forward for me for the same reason as you're saying here Mark. I think part of the vinyl revival is the tactile asspect. Vinyl feels like you own something.

I don't think we're nesicarly listening to too much music as not listening carefully enough to it. Some of my favorite records took months of repeated listens to really have an effect. The fact that I'd have 3 cds and a discman at all times thereby limiting my options played a major part in this. Now that I have an Ipod I find the temptation to skip very difficult.

In future (or possibly it's happening now) bands may only make albums for Ipod or tape or vinyl. Which could result in a bunch of Ipod low attention span CSI style albums while the tape heads are all making The Wire and there in making certain types of music format specific. Not sure that's such a bad thing though.

Assuming you think the Wire is the way forward. @washingcattle, what kind of music do us Josh Whedon fans like??? I'd also like to make the aural equivalent of watching the Antiques Roadshow on a blissful Sunday evening

Well now not nessicarily but the wire is a sprawling epic and CSI is a bite size little sugar injection. I like both to be honest (in very different ways) what I'm saying is perhaps 35-40 min is all an ipod album will hold attention for whereas the conscious decision to listen to a tape will allow 60-90 mins. if you get me.

Antiques road show = Oasis

Josh Whedon = Modest Mouse

I suppose

I only like the bit of CSI where Horatio says something and then puts his sunglasses on, and sometimes the bit at the end where he lectures the perp into confessing. Possively equivalent to Warren G's Regulate album, with Regualte at the start, and then the rest is never quite rubbish enough to turn off, but not good enough to bother listening to.

I only like the bit of CSI where Horatio says something and then puts his sunglasses on, and sometimes the bit at the end where he lectures the perp into confessing. Possively equivalent to Warren G's Regulate album, with Regualte at the start, and then the rest is never quite rubbish enough to turn off, but not good enough to bother listening to.

That's the shit CSI the good one has that kind of nonsense all the way through. Lately the cast are practically winking at th camera.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back