tips for barcelona? (1 Viewer)

Going in April ... been there loads of times before.

Mugging talk is a bit over-exaggerated I think. Certainly barre gotic/ramblas are dodgy at night but apart from that its fine. I know plenty of people that have been "done" there but it's always pickpocketing/non-violent (which doesn't make it okay obviously) and always in the barre gotic. It's a great city ... one of my favourites.

One place that most people don't go to is the Joan Miro museum which is up on a hill. It's seriously fantastic. Go.

Edit: I should I suppose add that a year or two ago I spent 10 minutes scoffing at a work colleague who told me to watch myself in Paris as there's loads of muggings. I then went to Paris and got mugged.

Go to Monserrat if you're staying for a couple more days than a weekend. 40Km outside the city, but really worth it if you want to recover from a hefty weekend.

- carry an oversized ugly luminous backpack
- stand around outside mcdonalds for endless hours
- sit on any random bit of path you can find
- scream loudly on the bus in english as you return to some pricks house in the suburbs
- shoplift constantly
- wear really stupid sunglasses
- bring as many stupid puffer jackets as you can
- randomly ask people for cigarettes

weeler said:
Spent a while in barcelona in 2003, slept on the beach for the first few nights,

this intrigues me.

how did that work out?

would you recommend it?

MONDOBRUTALE said:
- carry an oversized ugly luminous backpack
- stand around outside mcdonalds for endless hours
- sit on any random bit of path you can find
- scream loudly on the bus in english as you return to some pricks house in the suburbs
- shoplift constantly
- wear really stupid sunglasses
- bring as many stupid puffer jackets as you can
- randomly ask people for cigarettes
hahahahahaha hilarious

ReadySteadyJedi said:
I'll second that. Headed back in september to do some winter shopping. Incredible spot for the shops.

i beg to differ... after having spent the week before my departure to barcelona in a state of deliriously happy state, in anticipation of all the shoes to be had..
I was bitterly dissapointed.
nothing amazing here. nothing that london or berlin can't better considerably, i came back with a pair of flip flops that don't cut the feet of me which was a minor triumph, but that's it.

das nugs said:
this intrigues me.

how did that work out?

would you recommend it?

jaysus no, not the one in the city centre anyways, everyone I know that slept on that beach, or anywhere in the city, got all their stuff stolen.
Plenty of lovely squats in Barcelona, no need for sleeping on the beach

Fuck Schillaci said:
Go to Monserrat if you're staying for a couple more days than a weekend. 40Km outside the city, but really worth it if you want to recover from a hefty weekend.

I heartily agree - beautiful spot. Bring a gansey though, tis high up and cold.

Don't queue to go into the Sagrada Familia unless you're a scaffolding enthusiast.

Don't engage in games of imaginary football with the locals in the Barri Gothic area. They will attempt to rob you.

Saying "Merci" instead of "gracias" in shop/restaurants etc will ingratiate you no end with the locals. The same goes for "Molt be" (molbay) instead of "Muy Bien".

Always walk on the right side of small streets in the city centre, agressively stand your ground if anyone walks toward you on the same side. The locals will appreciate your determination.

The cable car ride over the bay is the most boring half hour you will ever experience.

Have a walk through the black market area in El Raval, its very exciting in a frightening way.

Pollo Rico in El Ravel is a great place to eat whole roast chickens with the local pimps and theives. Don't make excessive eye contact.

Go to the top of the steeple in the church on the hill in Tibidabo, best view in the city.

Hang around the bottom of La Rambla late at night looking drunk and confused. You will be accosted by a murder of prostitutes who will aggressively grope your testicles for free before robbing you.

Spam Javelin said:
Don't engage in games of imaginary football with the locals in the Barri Gothic area. They will attempt to rob you.
Ha, we were coming home from a club about 4am in january and one of the lads got into a game with some lad, noticed he was trying to put his hand into his pocket and started going "ah ah" (as you would to a child) but kept playing imaginary football. :rolleyes:

Oh and if the coke is insanely cheap, it's probably not coke.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back