Tiananmen massacre (1 Viewer)

La La

i drink your milkshake
hard to believe it's 17 years tomorrow; i can remember it clear as a bell. HK was eerie, and people were driving around with black flags attached to the aerials. my plan is to get some pics of the Pillar of Shame and then head to Victoria Park for the remembrance day. will try and post pics soon :)

La La said:
hard to believe it's 17 years tomorrow; i can remember it clear as a bell. HK was eerie, and people were driving around with black flags attached to the aerials. my plan is to get some pics of the Pillar of Shame and then head to Victoria Park for the remembrance day. will try and post pics soon :)

Just mind the tanks while your out. Actually, seriously do tanks and the like still go around there? Must some wierd buzz there..

Gambra said:
Just mind the tanks while your out. Actually, seriously do tanks and the like still go around there? Must some wierd buzz there..

heh. no, not in HK. and i doubt very much in the mainland, though who knows. the highlight of last year's anniversary was a well-know activist who wore a spiderman costume and scaled a building to sit on top of this massive advertising screen for two hours. he draped a banner over it demanding the central government acknowledge and apologise. he wouldnt come down til a cop brought him dim sum which he ate, astride the screen, until he was arrested. ;)

Great documentary on more4 or sky at the moment called Tank Man.
About the Tankman of tiananmen square(they guy who stood in front of the tanks).Think its on again tonight or tomorrow night.
Really good insight into China's society of yestrday and today also.

La La said:
heh. no, not in HK. and i doubt very much in the mainland, though who knows. the highlight of last year's anniversary was a well-know activist who wore a spiderman costume and scaled a building to sit on top of this massive advertising screen for two hours. he draped a banner over it demanding the central government acknowledge and apologise. he wouldnt come down til a cop brought him dim sum which he ate, astride the screen, until he was arrested. ;)

hahaha.. course he was arrested. Was nice of the cop to bring him some food though! I watched an interview with the two google guys today, twas on CNBC. Was shocking the reasons they gave for entering China. "Well, we took a principled stance against entering China. Then we found out that no one cared" Riiiiggghhht guys... Basically went on about how they're losing "market share" to their competitors.. Bleh

i'm heading down to the park soon; apparently heaps of people have already started piling in there which is great. at 8pm we hold a candlelight vigil. i will have my camera with me.

well obviously not just because of something that happened 17 years ago

there's many more things that happened since then that are reaso to not do trade and not to deal with them with kid gloves

sans tripod, some of the pics came out shit. i've tried to sharpen them up but you'll get the idea. it was a really lovely vigil, very moving, (and for me, tear-jerking in places). thousands upon thousands turned up which is hard to tell from the pics; but it was great.

DSC03648.jpg

DSC03670.jpg

DSC03649.jpg

DSC03718.jpg

DSC03699.jpg

DSC03704.jpg

attendance figures for last night are 40,000 according to teh organisers, 19,000 according to the police.

in beijing, however, mourners were being watched by police for a week or two before the day. can you imagine? such oppression is hard to fathom. some were actually being called up, mothers of victims like, and being asked "what are you going to do? dont try anything silly" etc........
tiananamen square was full of the usual tourist buzz, but the increased police presence was felt.

and in true China style, there was a complete media blackout.

spiritualtramp said:
Eh? Do you propose we stop all trade with China because of something that happened 17 years ago?

Sino-Japanese relations have been strained at best, ever since the war. Last year there was a heightened sense of anger and heaps of rioting against the Japanese in China. The reason? Because they don't acknowledge their actions during the war, and key incidents have been left out of the school curriculum. This is tipping the iceberg and im no expert, but this is the idea.

I'm not saying anything about Sino-Irish relations; i dont think we should stop trading with China. But the underlying fact is that under orders from the government but 17 years ago, under the watchful eye of camera lenses from all over the world, PLA troops opened fire on their own. the survivors and families of the victims are simply asking for a full acknowledgement of the 'june 4 incident' - they want an apology.

china was very quick to criticise japan for changing history, and yet it dares not to admit what it has done.

im not saying ireland shouldnt deal with china when it comes to trade, but china has to answer and step up to the plate, even if it is for 'something that happened 17 years ago.'

Nice pics, I also remember it fairly clearly.
Shame of all the countries dealing with China now including ours just cos they have so much money.

it isn't as simple as not dealing with China though. It is about building strong relations with China in which you can constructively work with them on the issues of importance, such as human rights and the environment. They have the right to develop their economy to lift their population out of extreme poverty. If we can work with them to ensure they can learn from our mistakes all the better.

broken arm said:
it isn't as simple as not dealing with China though. It is about building strong relations with China in which you can constructively work with them on the issues of importance, such as human rights and the environment. They have the right to develop their economy to lift their population out of extreme poverty. If we can work with them to ensure they can learn from our mistakes all the better.

i'm with you 100%, particularly the points you made on human rights and environment.

i just with the feckers would apologise! :rolleyes:

the fucking nerve of them. cunts :mad:

China expressed its "strong dissatisfaction" with Mrs Clinton's comments.
"The US remarks, which disregard the facts, make groundless accusations against the Chinese government," foreign ministry spokesman Qin Gang said.
"We urge the US to put aside its political prejudices and correct its mistakes so as to refrain from undermining bilateral relations.
"On the political incident that took place in the 1980s, the party and the government have already reached a conclusion," he said.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back