Thread moving (1 Viewer)

Thayl

Since 1999
Hi Pete,

Could you move the following threads from the General forum to the Lifestyles forum please (as each of them is a lifestyle type thread)? Thanks.

Culture Clash
Ack! me nerves
Do you hate me
Can flies go insane
Tis the season

Thayl said:
Hi Pete,

Could you move the following threads from the General forum to the Lifestyles forum please (as each of them is a lifestyle type thread)? Thanks.

Culture Clash
Ack! me nerves
Do you hate me
Can flies go insane
Tis the season
Hi Pete,

Could you not do this please? These thread-moving antics are not nice. I prefer when these type of threads stay on the main board. The lifestyle board is kind of specifically for things like fridges and shop recommendations and Kirstie.

Thanks.

ITalkShite said:
Hi Pete,

Could you not do this please? These thread-moving antics are not nice. I prefer when these type of threads stay on the main board. The lifestyle board is kind of specifically for things like fridges and shop recommendations and Kirstie.

Thanks.
I second that emotion.

So why the double standards?

How come film related news can't be posted to the general form but "oh my god I'm so worried about my thesis" and "so where are your Christmas parties being held?" not moved to the lifestyle forum?

" Lifestyle: food, drink, drugs, plumbers, furniture.... yeah it's a temporary name"
Sounds like the perfect place for talking about the food and drink you normally get at your Christmas parties.

Thayl said:
So why the double standards?
I suppose a double standard is inevitable when you judge individual threads on their merits. Pete's call, though, not mine. I'd be in favour of putting the Lifestyle board back into the main one, to be honest. The boundaries of a 'Politics' or 'Arts' forum seems a bit more clear-cut.

Pete, can we have a forum where people get into really heated arguments about where particular threads belong? And then, the first crybaby among us to put you in a mental home gets a statue of themselves making a big deal on the internet?

And can we have a forum called 'behind the bike shed', where people go just to fight, smoke, or make clumsy sexual advances?

culture clash is about odd publications
ack! me nerves is about thesises
do you hate me is about ... well, who knows, really?
can flies go insane is about insects (and a hedgehog)
and tis the season is about social faux pas at office parties.

none of these have anything to do with food, drink, drugs, plumbers or furniture. this, i would posit, is why they have not as yet been moved.

None of them have anything to do with music either, yet they're on the main page of a music discussion form.

Thayl said:
None of them have anything to do with music either, yet they're on the main page of a music discussion form.
the main page has never been strictly about music; i see it as a 'music and anything that wouldn't fit into any of the other boards' board. the title is 'general discussion', not 'music', after all.

jane said:
No, "Can flies go insane?" is about Liadain scaring the bejeesus out of me. You should see my floor right now. Up to me knees in bejeesuses, I am.
hee hee hee hee

czech out the ickle wickle hedgehog though! it's the cutest thing ever!

jane said:
Pete, can we have a forum where people get into really heated arguments about where particular threads belong? And then, the first crybaby among us to put you in a mental home gets a statue of themselves making a big deal on the internet?
This is exactly what, in my opinion, is making Thumped.com worse every day. I signed up to Thumped just after it was created so I could find out about Irish (and non Irish) music, what bands were playing where and who thought Road Records' shop front was a nice shade of yellow or not.

But now I have to wade through countless bullshit off topic posts about such music related topics as "I'm worried about my thesis" and "can insects be mentally ill" combined with an exponential amount of in-jokes and well, bollox posts about nothing at all in order to find one or two decent posts about music, bands, albums etc. (oh yeah and films, that's the reason I started this thread actually)

Thumped could be a great music resource and could attract a lot more people who are interested in the music scene if it was moderated properly (oh, and also if it didn't have such a clique atmosphere about it).

Super Dexta said:
hee hee hee hee

czech out the ickle wickle hedgehog though! it's the cutest thing ever!
Not looking at any hedgehogs when there are spiders nearby. No more spiders! NO NO!

Anyway, I think there is such a thing as a board that is over-moderated. I sometimes read another board, but it's almost too strict in its moderation.
There's so much concern with being on the right topic and on the right forum that it's not even that much fun, and actually almost never results in people communicating with each other, so cautious are they of stepping off topic.

One thing I like about Thumped is that there's just enough moderation to keep things where they fit best (and close the occasional dodgy thread), but not so much as people feel too concerned about where to post something that they just don't bother.

I like that a forum like 'Lifestyles' exists because something like the 'recipes' thread can expand slowly without having to be stickied or bumped, or turn into a volley of 'prick' and 'you suck'. That said, not that many of the music threads last very long, and I think people like having stuff to talk about on the general board. If there're loads of really inane threads at once, then I merging them with Bored in Work seems like the best thing.

Thayl said:
This is exactly what, in my opinion, is making Thumped.com worse every day.
I like thumped more than any other forum I know.

There are plenty of strictly-music-related forums.

There's also nothing stopping you putting up some music-related threads. The board is yours, if you want it.

Thayl said:
But now I have to wade through countless bullshit off topic posts
If memory serves, thumped has always been like this. There's no 'but now' about it.

ITalkShite said:
If memory serves, thumped has always been like this. There's no 'but now' about it.
Back when I joined (back in 1999 when the internet had just been invented) there was infinitely less cliquey off topic banter. I didn't know anybody on the board back then but I didn't feel like I was reading a hundred casual conversations between friends that I get nowadays.

Thayl said:
Back when I joined (back in 1999 when the internet had just been invented) there was infinitely less cliquey off topic banter. I didn't know anybody on the board back then but I didn't feel like I was reading a hundred casual conversations between friends that I get nowadays.
But the internet is different now. So many more people spend so much more time on sites they like. I can see what you mean, but, while there are certainly people who are friends with each other acknowledging that on Thumped (and why not?), and I think newcomers/infrequent posters could be greeted with a little less suspicion, it's a lot friendlier, funnier, and more interesting than most forums I've seen.

I guess it depends what you mean by 'off-topic'.

Thayl said:
Back when I joined (back in 1999 when the internet had just been invented) I didn't know anybody either but I was struck by how wide-ranging the discussion tended to be, and still is, a lot of the time. If anything, thumped has been a victim of its own success - with more people, there's more shite to be talked. And occasionally, it must be admitted, I talk shite.

I sometimes get miffed at the in-jokes between friends, too, but really, life is too short for letting it get to you. I got annoyed about it a while ago so I started a couple of threads about music, and lots of people talked (and talked and talked and talked) about music. Try it, it's fun. And a lot easier than moving threads which, in your opinion, aren't music-y enough.

ITalkShite said:
Back when I joined (back in 1999 when the internet had just been invented) I didn't know anybody either but I was struck by how wide-ranging the discussion tended to be, and still is, a lot of the time. If anything, thumped has been a victim of its own success - with more people, there's more shite to be talked. And occasionally, it must be admitted, I talk shite.

I sometimes get miffed at the in-jokes between friends, too, but really, life is too short for letting it get to you. I got annoyed about it a while ago so I started a couple of threads about music, and lots of people talked (and talked and talked and talked) about music. Try it, it's fun. And a lot easier than moving threads which, in your opinion, aren't music-y enough.
I agree.

I joined a long time ago, but didn't start posting until 2003, when I kind of started settling in to Dublin. It might sound silly, but it's helped me settle in much more easily than I might have. I've found out about stuff to see, getting involved with what's happening, and even met a load of people I might never have met if I hadn't known about what was happening. I can understand why it might be seen as cliquish, but as someone who knew virtually no one when I moved here, I actually found it the opposite: it's not just out there in the ether, it's a place where people talk about stuff and then often meet up 'for real'.

Instead of being a bunch of people who hide behind anonymous internet personae, most people are just themselves. The downside might be more in-banter than you might find on more strictly topical forums, but the upside is that it means you, too, can talk about whatever you want. Even music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back