Thread for Current pop songs you like (2 Viewers)

Was in my ma's gaff last night and couldn't sleep so wound up flicking through music channels. A few recent ones really caught my ear.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

That Sigala stuff sounds exactly like the shit you'd hear blaring from scobes souped up hatchbacks 20 years ago. Has the genre stood still or is there a resurgence of this style?

That Sigala stuff sounds exactly like the shit you'd hear blaring from scobes souped up hatchbacks 20 years ago. Has the genre stood still or is there a resurgence of this style?
Yeah, there's been a real revival of house music in the past few years. Tropical House (kinda slowed down, more chilled house music with watery sounds) was the style of last year, Justin Bieber album was full of it and all.

This yoke was the mainstream breakthrough song as far as I know, although i'm no expert, not really my kind of thing

Ah I can't get into it, or most of that stuff really.

have you heard this though? I dig, was recommending it a few pages back

Ah I can't get into it, or most of that stuff really.

have you heard this though? I dig, was recommending it a few pages back

She's quite the pretty pop package. I have it on here.

One of the reasons I miss @jonah is cos she put this song on here

And I don't usually come across stuff like it myself.

I imagine Jonah's life to be pretty much this video, except people are also telling her about cool songs that she can post online.

Dance music is huge basically its what pop music is these days not sure whats so recent about it

Last edited:
I'm going to sound like an real old git for this. I heard someone do a cover of Your Song by Elton John on piano recently. Not one of Elton's best, but I was really impressed with the songwriting craft within it. The melody working with the chords, the changes. I know things have moved on.But a lot of modern pop, especially the american "Rn'b" stuff seems to be missing something....chord changes, parts.

I'm going to sound like an real old git for this. I heard someone do a cover of Your Song by Elton John on piano recently. Not one of Elton's best, but I was really impressed with the songwriting craft within it. The melody working with the chords, the changes. I know things have moved on.But a lot of modern pop, especially the american "Rn'b" stuff seems to be missing something....chord changes, parts.
I love I'm Still Standing

Particularly those opening lyrics. But the whole thing really.

220px-Roosh-daryush-valizadeh.jpg

I'm waiting for the Lili onslaught.

I'm waiting for the Lili onslaught.
Your Song is a great track! A lot of modern pop tends to be precision engineered, it can be really fantastic sounding and inclusive of loads of kinds of music but it has serious downsides as well, like the general flattening of individuality in favour of top-down production and US-focused ideas. It's not something that gets enough airspace in the poptimism world but when you're still dealing with dinosaurs who lament the lack of 70's white rock on the radio it probably takes a back seat. I agree that a rambling Elton track wouldn't really have a place on the pop charts these days and it's a loss.

I'm still "lamenting" girls aloud splitting and the decline of xenomania. That was quality modern pop music.
I'm not sure what happened with Xenomania. I think I remember reading somewhere that Miranda Cooper left them and they floundered after that but I could be mistaken. I see Florrie is still claiming to be on the verge of releasing a big hit, she's been at that for a good 6 years now. Ultimately the absolute stranglehold the majors have on the charts has never gone away.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back