This country just got a whole lot lamer (a thread for disgruntled smokers only!) (1 Viewer)

:D we were smoking 'on the sly'... it's actually pretty easy to smoke a cigarette beside someone without them realising you're doing it... they'll smell it but they won't realise it's you smoking... get me to show you next time i see you...

yeah, was hearing a lot of reports on american radio & tv where they questioned people from the absolute sticks (i.e. killarney and places). of course all the pub owners where "sure we'll never implement that, sure it's up in dublin they'll do that with all their trendy cafes & pubs"

:)

They shoulda had separate smoking rooms/sections. Works in Europe. But then of course Europeans are civilised.

Personally I'm quite happy with this (if it works), as there won't be a smell o smoke off me clothes every time I go out. But it's too harsh on smokers.

enchance said:
suckers!!!!

well now pantone, i guess you can give them to the bums!

this thread is for disgruntled smokers

you better go before you get eye cancer from reading it

I was smoking to Haggy, but I think they were just amusing us, it's pretty inevitable it's going to get enforced, and with this helpline (read: ratline) if the barstaff don't object some muppet is going to dob the place in.

the smell of smoke is going to give away to the stanch of paranoia, fear and the whiff of smug self satisfaction.

:(

Jimmy Magee said:
They shoulda had separate smoking rooms/sections. Works in Europe. But then of course Europeans are civilised.

Personally I'm quite happy with this (if it works), as there won't be a smell o smoke off me clothes every time I go out. But it's too harsh on smokers.

I can see the sense in thge ban, just as I can see the sense in the Singapore policy of cutting off criminals hands... hey! Singapore has fuck all crime rate! why aren't we all at it!

Because we know it's a step too far, we know, as civilised modern intellegent people there has to be a better solution.

Anyway this is all B.S. at this stage as the ban has happened and no one who is ever going to get the health minister gig is ever going to have the balls to reverse it.

What I think we should be most concerned is what's next? More tax on booze? Hasher implimentation of the drunk and disorderly laws, actually prosecuting on them? Stricter licencing laws (could such thing exsist?!?!).

It's pretty apparant the goverenmet have decided we are all filthy mongrels who decision in a referendum can't be trusted, who can't be allowed buy a couple of cocktails for cheap on a friday and who can't have a fag and a booze in their local with giving everyone cancer.

errrr... i been smokin since i was around 14 or so... and givin' up is never easy but expecting non-smoker to inhale your 2nd hand smoke just isn't fair. i'm all for being allowed to do exactly what you want, so long as it don't interfere with anyone else and smoking does... i think it's harsh but fair. i'll be happy enough after a while just not to smoke in pubs... i am going to have a LOT of fun trying to get away with it in the meantime though :)

hag said:
errrr... i been smokin since i was around 14 or so... and givin' up is never easy but expecting non-smoker to inhale your 2nd hand smoke just isn't fair.

I totally totally agree, but there are a zillion ways to work that situation without an outright total ban.

Breaking a butterfly on a wheel etc, etc, etc

I love being able to have a smoke with my drink, so I think this ban sucks. It works in LA because they have smoking porches, or at least enough space outside so that people can still pass on the footpath. They also still have the weather for it. There's the additional loophole that owner-operated bars are not bound by the law; if that had been done here, it would have spared the rural pubs, and the smaller old-man-type pubs, where people would be less likely to complain about smoke anyway.

In NY, there are still a few bars where you can smoke, so they must have found a few loopholes in the ban, which may end up happening here -- I hope.

But still, the biggest worry I have is that neither New York or LA have the kind of ignorant drunken masses crammed together in one small city centre the way we do here. Knowing that outside of loads of pubs will be drunken twats with pint glasses (unless they police that, which they won't), ready for a fight. It'll be like closing time on Dame St all the time. I know I'm exaggerating, but I would be surprised if street violence didn't increase because of it.

On the plus side (I know it doesn't belong on this thread -- but see above, I AM disgruntled), after being out in places in NY and LA where you can't smoke, not only did I smoke just what I 'needed', the cleaner air resulted in less of a hangover, which wasn't a bad thing.

Might I also point out (again) that Singapore also banned gum. Dictatorships rule.

yeah, i know... pants, i think eventually pubs will do things like open doors to a 'patio area' where people will be able to smoke, it'll just take a while for most of them to do it... they're not going to want to lose our custom, i have faith in people's greed :)

Lads, just have a smoke in the bathroom. hopefully it won't activate an alarm like it does on airplanes. anybody ever smoked on a plane?

You have to hand it to the government.By banning smoking in pubs, they're obviously curing one of society's biggest ills.I mean come on, why would anyone want to smoke?It makes you loud, obnoxious, aggressive and loosens your inhibitions to the point where you can potentially be a danger to your self or others around you, right?
Oh wait now, that's DRINKING in pubs, not smoking in them.

Fuck this ban shit.Also, can anyone confirm for me wether this indirectly means that nicorette patches are banned from pubs?

B for the Spree said:
its great, now you can go out for a fag and pick up a coupla e's while you're at it.

best thing I heard on the radio was that outised pubs is the new place to score, given that ladies who smoke are, naturally, of looser morals.

it only just rivals the argument that the smoking ban will cause more house fires..... think about it....

needtokill said:
Also, can anyone confirm for me wether this indirectly means that nicorette patches are banned from pubs?

latest studies show the effects of passive patching to be negligible.

What astounds me most about all this is the Irish govt actually took the initiative on something like this, instead of waiting for England to do it first. Unfortunately it probably means a royal arse will be made of it.

i'm in two minds about this.

i'm a part time barman so they're be no dirty ashtrays to clean! but i'll have to go outside the boiler room to smoke, or onto the street...

as a full time gopher i have to go outside onto smelly luas dirty abbey street. but the canteen where i have my sambo will be smoke free...

from a pub goers perspective i'll smoke less but drink more. its gonna be shit in nightclubs...

i want one now but they're putting up the overhead luas wires and its noisy... hmmnn..

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back