the wax museum and other places (2 Viewers)

Yup. Don't think it's very likely though. I would have thought the Wax Museum - much as I loved it - closed down because, well, nobody was interested in it.

They could have saved it as a museum of a museum, much in the way of the Natural History Museum. But they wouldn't. Or at least, the figures should be saved as examples of 20th century popular culture.

Was anyone ever interested in the Wax Museum, though? I went to one in Texas once that was fucking hilarious. It was part of the Ripley's Believe it or Not Museum, which was amazing and also brilliant and also appallingly shit.

i had heard the wax museum was relocating to smithfield. maybe they were concerned that property prices there were getting too high.

a friend of my mum's was leading a bunch of kids through the wax museum years ago (as part of the 'happy blanchies' thing - something to keep the kids in blanchardstown occupied during the summer holidays) when one of the kids knocked the nose off bob geldof. they were uncermoniously booted out.

The appalling shitness of the Dublin one was part of the appeal for me. The flea bitten charm, but i suppose you don't get enough tourists into stuff like that to warrant keeping it open.

Just called up the people involved - they were indeed looking at a site on Grafton Street but - as Mr. Bastarder says - are now concentrating on Smithfield for "late summer".

She said they were 12 months behind schedule as is.

Was anyone ever interested in the Wax Museum, though?

Part of the reason it was so much fun was that 99% of the time, you'd have the place all to yourself.

Ever go into those weird pitch-black tunnels they had? I bet at least half a dozen kids went in there and never came out.

"What's that on the floor?"
"Oh, it's probably just a child's femur. Keep going and we should come out at the Chamber of Horrors."

Part of the reason it was so much fun was that 99% of the time, you'd have the place all to yourself.

Ever go into those weird pitch-black tunnels they had? I bet at least half a dozen kids went in there and never came out.

"What's that on the floor?"
"Oh, it's probably just a child's femur. Keep going and we should come out at the Chamber of Horrors."

Well, yeah, that's the lure of the Wax Museum, for sure. But it is the only lure: wax museums were sort of a grave error in popular culture, and were salvaged by people's amusement at just how shit they were/are. Can you open a new Wax Museum and expect the same? I'm not sure.

Can you open a new Wax Museum and expect the same? I'm not sure.

Not unless you're willing to replicate the same sort of model combination that you see here:

presentation19.jpg

That's what I want. Shit that is worth consuming, ideally, should be accidentally shit, not deliberately shit. It's like they appropriate that cheeky feeling of glee you get while you're going through it and sell it back to you. It's like the difference between finding a vintage cheesy 80s t-shirt and buying a replica.

What would Baudrillard do?

He'd say, "THIS BITCH DEMANDS AUTHENTICITY."

But what is authenticity?

"Fuck off to yon thread about dem nurses."

they should have a 'living statue museum'.
it's be a jail for all those assholes who paint themselves silver and stand still on grafton street. if they're cause doing that, they must spend a month in the museum.

it's be a jail for all those assholes who paint themselves silver and stand still on grafton street. if they're cause doing that, they must spend a month in the museum.

That's a genius idea.

What I love is that most of them don't bother standing still, they shift around: part talentless mime, part statue-unclear-on-the-concept. Doubly-shit. And not in a funny way. They fill me with an inexplicable rage.

Each time they move at all perceptibly during this month, they get a clatter around the head accompanied by catcalls from a nakedly hostile colosseum-style audience.

Can we put mimes in too? Christ, even typing the word m*** has just ruined my evening.

FYI:
The United Nations General Assembly declared 4 April the International Day for Mime Awareness and Assistance in Mime Action. The day will raise awareness about landmimes and progress toward their eradication. This will be the second annual UN Mime Action Day - more info on events will become available as released.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back