The Stars Are Undergound (1996 Irish music scene documentary) (1 Viewer)

Gambra

Anarchic Harmonics
Website
www.noisenotmusic.org
Currently up for grabs on Karagaga for those of you on there, seems pretty interesting. If people ouside KG want it I may be able to upload it somewhere tomorrow.

The Stars Are Underground is a 24-minute film documenting the underground music scene in Dublin, Ireland, in 1996. The film was first shown in the same year, 1996, and a VHS was released by Folkrum Records. Directed by Daragh McCarthy, the film documents a generation of Irish bands who took their inspiration from American hardcore punk bands who, rather than pursuing major label deals, made their own self-financed records and released their own material.

opening.jpg

The bands featured and interviewed include Female Hercules, The Mexican Pets, and The Jubilee Allstars. The Stars are Underground also features interviews with Andy Cairns from Therapy? and Dischord Records' Ian McKaye from the group Fugazi.

mckaye.jpg

The film inspired Academy Award winning singer/songwriter Glen Hansard of The Frames to write a song of the same name after he played on a tour of the film's screenings in rock venues in rural Ireland. The Frames "The Stars Are Underground" appeared on their Dance the Devil album in 1999.

Currently up for grabs on Karagaga for those of you on there, seems pretty interesting. If people ouside KG want it I may be able to upload it somewhere tomorrow.

If you could do that I'd really appreciate it...

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back