The SLITS / Twinkranes / Skinny Wolves DJs // Crawdaddy, Wed 3rd May (3 Viewers)

skinny wolves

Website
www.skinnywolves.com
The SLITS
Classic Line-up featuring Ari Up, Viv Albertine, Palmolive featuring the Noise Mestro Adrian Sherwood (On-Usound, Tackhead) on Live Mix.
Sickboy
& Skinny Wolves Djs

Wednesday 3rd May
Crawdaddy, Dublin
Adm €20 payable on the door

The Slits were a female punk rock band. The quartet was formed in 1976 by members of the bands The Flowers of Romance and The Castrators. The members were Ari Up (Arianna Forster) and Palmolive (Paloma Romera) (who later left to join The Raincoats), with Viv Albertine and Tessa Politt replacing founding members Kate Korus and Suzi Gutsy. Palmolive was replaced by male drummer Budgie (aka Pete Clarke), formerly of The Spitfire Boys and later to join Siouxsie and the Banshees.

At their outset, the Slits played a brand of brash, fun, snotty, catchy punk rock. However, their originally extremely raw and raucous live sound, captured on a legendary Peel Session, was cleaned up and considerably polished by the time of their reggae influenced, dub heavy, Dennis Bovell produced 1979 debut album Cut (Island Records). As well as the exceptional music this album contained, it was also notable for its cover art, a photo depicting the band naked save for mud and loin-cloths.

Their sound and attitude became increasingly experimental and avant-garde during the early 1980's, when they formed an alliance with Bristol post punk mavericks The Pop Group, sharing a drummer (Bruce Smith) and releasing a joint single, "In The Beginning There was Rhythm/Where There's A Will" (Y Records). However, by the time of their second 'official' LP release Return Of The Giant Slits (a 'semi-official' bootleg of poorly recorded early material having been released in the interim by Rough Trade), many felt that their initial energy, exuberance and innovativeness had deserted them. Various Slits became involved with On-U dub-jamming project New Age Steppers along with free improvisers such as Steve Beresford and also a young Neneh Cherry. The Slits remain an important band in British rock history, and had such fans as Johnny Rotten and legendary British DJ, John Peel.

slits.jpg
slits-cutH.jpg

image12.jpg
image10.jpg
image11.jpg

twinkranes have had to pull out of this today due to unforescene
circumstances.... but Sickboy have kindly offered 'emselves up
for our aural pleasure...

Should be a cracking night...

not this sickboy no?

edit: never mind ... just saw link in first post. didn't know there was an oirish sickboy. how long they been around?

the Oirish Sickboy have been around for about a year and a bit i guess
(well I'm not 100% on that but it was about a year ago that i first heard them anyway) they've got some tunes on a myspace - www.myspace.com/sickboyofficial

Some good catchy little tunes up on there

I have to say this was all a bit meh really. And its a bit of a jip they played such a short set but still played shoplifting twice.

george mcfly said:
i don't remember any of the slits whatsoever
You were pretty pissed alright, I took a picture of you to shame you with this morning:

drunk_adam.jpg

Stan Bowles said:
You were pretty pissed alright, I took a picture of you to shame you with this morning:

wow, i can't believe i look like that when i'm drunk...
thanks man, that photo is a real wake-up call

i can't believe i did a Joey in Crawdaddy.. i'm morto

I had no idead zig and zag were doing live shows now with a back up band. i thought it was all about the rodge and podge!

Seriously though, i didn't know what to expect and i really don't know what i thought od it all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back