the Mountain Goats, Whelans, May 22 2011 (1 Viewer)

tempting. this is the only song i know, what should i listen to?

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

tempting. this is the only song i know, what should i listen to?

All Hail West Texas is a good start - I don't think I know anyone who doesn't like "The Best Ever Death Metal Band in Denton". Full Force Galesburg is a good one as well, it's got some really great songs on it too. He's got a massive back catalogue, so dive in!

thumped just keeps on delivering. by that thread i am swayed to dive in at
coast to coast

coast to coast said:
The Sunset Tree is what I would recommend. Its a gigantic tower of a record that made me fall in love with them when I really wasn't expecting it.

as i like gigantic towers of records.

thanks unknown convict.

This is one of my favourite songs ever. I prefer when he slows it down. He has a fine voice, but its fragility is best suited to this sort of affair.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I love The Goats dearly but have to say I never really got into The Sunset Tree. The album that got me into them was We Shall All Be Healed - heard the lead single Palmcorder Yajna on 6 Music and immediately fell in love. However I would agree with Pavlos - All Hail West Texas is a good place to start because it's at the midway point of Darnielle's output (and is just a great album).

Thanks a lot for the link to that wfmu session UC - absolutely fantastic. That new song on Letterman sounds great as well. I've been checking out a few of the more obscure releases over the past few days... Devil In The Shortwave, Isopanisad Radio Hour, On Juhu Beach etc. All great listens. Was surprised by just how slow and dark On Juhu Beach was.

Thanks a lot for the link to that wfmu session UC - absolutely fantastic. That new song on Letterman sounds great as well. I've been checking out a few of the more obscure releases over the past few days... Devil In The Shortwave, Isopanisad Radio Hour, On Juhu Beach etc. All great listens. Was surprised by just how slow and dark On Juhu Beach was.

no sweat. get new asian cinema too - the 3 yo-yo 1-sided 12s are some of the best things he's done (except dirty old town, which doesn't really add anything to the song). juhu has transjordanian blues which is hardly slow! its a beautiful hand-sewn 3" cd too but i think there were <100 made.

heres the letterman audio: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3605553/Birth of Serpents on Letterman 2_23_2011.m4a?dl=1

Yeah, "transjordanian" kinda ruins my theory! I guess I was thinking of the first 2 tracks in particular... I know a lof of tMG songs sound desperate, but those two are very slow and almost mournful. Will def check out New Asian as well then - cheers!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back