The Midnight Shambles presents CHARLIE PARR, Wed 16th Sept, upstairs @ Whelan's (1 Viewer)

sparse

Website
www.facebook.com
For lovers of roots, blues & folk music
The (inaugural) Midnight Shambles presents
Charlie Parr
Upstairs @ Whelan’s, doors 11pm, onstage Midnight

*****JUST ADDED*** EARLY SHOW, doors 7.30pm, onstage 8.30pm

Tickets for both shows €10 (plus booking fee) from www.tickets.ie, WAV, City Discs & Ticketmaster outlets nationwide

“…infused with awesome passion. In 1937 it would have been normal, in 2007 it's extraordinary.” – Joe Breen, The Irish Times

Too Much Liquor And Not Enough Gasoline
Format: CD & Download / Catalogue No.: INDCD 80
Barcode: 5390533301190 / Release Date: 11th September

“I worked all summer / couldn’t save a cent, I gave all of my money to the government, I don’t know how it get spend but the banks are coming for my deeds boys”.

Having stumbled into Charlie Parr in a small room in Galway on one of his guerilla trips to Europe from his home of Duluth, Minnesota, Independent Records has spent the best part of a year getting to know the various parts of his catalogue which, although mostly recorded this century, mostly sound like the last century. At the time, we thought, people wouldn’t be too into the blues, things are too good, the futures too bright and Charlie’s beard is way too long. His Walmart pants and worn out check shirts have no place in a country awash with skinny young and handsome indie kids.
Initially we released Charlie’s last album of field recordings ‘Roustabout.’ No point in depressing people too much.

Then something strange happened, people started sitting in rooms with Charlie and listened to his stories of depression, dead cats, bank closures, striking fathers and cheap wine, songs of bygone era’s. In the meantime we were compiling what we thought were Charlie’s best songs onto one coherent album. After we listened and compiled for a few months it felt like we were in a Charlie Parr song and we had worn holes in the knees of our Levi’s. Times suddenly changed and Charlie’s Blues stomps don’t seem so out of time no more.

Listen to him pick through the instrumental ‘Rooster’ or the striking union tale of ‘Hogkill Blues’ as a son waits in vain for his father come home from a picket.

http://www.charlieparr.com/
http://www.myspace.com/charlieparr

What's the story with this? Can we hang around after Dirty Projectors or do we get turfed out and have to pay in again?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back