The Fountain (2 Viewers)

avernus

The latest movie from Darren Aronofsky. Fucking amazing. It's a super mix of reality and imagination with a dreamlike narrative, subtle yet well developed characters and beautiful atmospheric music. Hugh Jackman is excellent in it, as is Rachel Weisz. Well worth a watch, but you could easily hate it as it's all over the place in terms of how the narrative progresses etc., but I fucking loved it.

Anyone else like it / hate it?

The_Fountain%20-%20Poster.jpg

The latest movie from Darren Aronofsky. Fucking amazing. It's a super mix of reality and imagination with a dreamlike narrative, subtle yet well developed characters and beautiful atmospheric music. Hugh Jackman is excellent in it, as is Rachel Weisz. Well worth a watch, but you could easily hate it as it's all over the place in terms of how the narrative progresses etc., but I fucking loved it.

Anyone else like it / hate it?

sometimes i hate you

Thought it was amazing too. Really great film that. Made me think about a lot of things and had a proper effect on me, as opposed to a lot of films which seem simply to be diverting for two hours and then it's back to real life. Jackman is deadly in it. Weisz I found a bit blah but I really liked how she looked very angelic in it. My brother told me after I watched it that Aronofsky had dated Weisz for a while. Wonder would this have coloured how I watched the film.

Also saw it at the film festival. Really enjoyed it then, and was slightly miffed by the amount of people who really hated it. Doesn't seem to be much of a middle ground with this film.

Also slightly miffed by the switch from the okay-to-good movie poster to the shit-to-god-awful DVD cover here:

511A8Icl+SL._SS500_.jpg

Thought it was amazing too. Really great film that. Made me think about a lot of things and had a proper effect on me, as opposed to a lot of films which seem simply to be diverting for two hours and then it's back to real life. Jackman is deadly in it. Weisz I found a bit blah but I really liked how she looked very angelic in it. My brother told me after I watched it that Aronofsky had dated Weisz for a while. Wonder would this have coloured how I watched the film.

Yeah, I guess Rachel Weisz was great in a different way. She was very angelic and I think her character was all about presence and suggested depth - her expressions and the emotional subtleties of her character were excellent. She was like the polar opposite of Jackman.

Fuck. I really need to watch this again. I'm listening to the music on the website and it's making me deeply love this film.

I liked it but not as much as his other films which are among my all time faves so I was a tad disappointed. Must give it another go at some stage. It looked amazing anyhow.

Saw this a few days back, thanks to a friend's bittorrenting efforts. I thought it felt like a 3-hour epic movie that was either left incomplete or heavily edited down, to the point where some of the stories, characters etc felt sketchy and didn't quite achieve the grand sweep-of-human-existence sort of effect I imagine he was looking for. Worth watching for the visuals alone though (and they hardly used any CGI - pretty fucking impressive!) and not as bafflingly hard to understand as I was lead to believe, which is a good thing..

I was expecting great things but I thought this was absolute baloney. New-age quasi-mystical tosh.
Awful dialogue, one dimensional characters.
Soundtrack was the best thing about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back